“low key and great vibe”
Review of Broken Shaker

Broken Shaker
Ranked #2,019 of 10,807 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$5 - US$50
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: An oasis in the heart of Downtown LA, Broken Shaker, located on our rooftop pool deck, offers an eclectic menu of handcrafted cocktails and small bites. A James Beard Award finalist and winner of Tales of the Cocktail's Best American Hotel Bar award, Broken Shaker serves up delicious cocktails, infused with homemade elixirs and exotic ingredients.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This isn't your typical "beautiful people" rooftop bar scene but instead seemed pretty open to all sorts of people. Great drinks, good snacks and really fun pool scene. Good dj with a wide mix of music. Can get a bit crowded but often cleared out by 630pm so you could get some room then.

Reviewed 1 February 2018

This bar has a great location in downtown LA. The views of the buildings and rooftop pool are amazing! The waitress Allison was super sweet, had exceptional service, and knowledgeable about all the drinks offered. I definitely am coming back!

Reviewed 15 January 2018

Nice little bar located in the lobby of the Freehand Hotel. Sofa seating and not much table space - you are kind of invited to just chill and relax. The tequila punch I had was SO good!

Reviewed 14 November 2017

First, be prepared to wait for the elevator. Oh…and it's historic, so it warns of only 6 people per elevator. If you are a go-getter, take the stairs. Once up on the roof, you are mesmerized by the beauty of the skyline at night. A totally unobstructed view of LA’s tallest buildings. Once you check in with the hostess, there are some tables there, but the remaining tables are basically lounge chairs with tiny tables (2 plates wide) for you to use. There is a pool as well which definitely adds to the experience if the weather was nicer. The drink menu is interesting as my friend enjoyed his “B*tch don’t waste my time” drink. Their food menu is not very extensive, roughly 10 items, but I would recommend the nachos and the egg rolls. The burgers were very good as well. If you want more variety in food, go somewhere else, but it will be hard to top the view from here.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

My friend suggested we hit this new rooftop bar in DTLA, and I'm glad he did. Broken Shaker is on 8th b/t Olive & Broadway in DTLA, on the roof of the Freehand Hotel. They have a tropical theme and offer a number of light items to eat.

Craft cocktails are the specialty here, so my friend ordered the Mrs. Roper ($14). For those of you old enuf to remember, the drink is named after the landlord's wife in Threes Company. Its a rum concoction served in a froo froo glass. It was quite the conversation piece bc many women were asking my friend, "What is that?": 4 Stars.

I stuck to my tequila & soda bc sweet drinks give you a hangover. They had Forteleza tequila ($16). The bartender pours w/ a heavy hand: 4 Stars.

I was hungry, so I ordered the veggie egg rolls ($10), and chips & guac ($8). While the apps were reasonably priced, they were just OK. There was nothing special about them: 3 Stars.

However, what really stood out was the excellent service from Allison. Allison hails from D.C., she took really good care of us 5+++++ Stars for Allison.

Regarding the ambiance, as you exit the elevator and enter the main area, there is a large bar to your left. There are several tables and lounge chairs to fit small and larger groups. The pool with the floats are quite whimsical, and there is a smaller bar to the rear of the pool: 5+++++ Stars.

Broken Shaker is my new place to hang out. Its off the beaten path a bit bc of its location, but I'm cool with that. Hopefully it doesn't get too commercialized like Perch and you get peeps who dress inappropriately. BS has only been open since Labor Day, but I'm sure the word will get out quickly.