Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Nena N

Best hotel experience ever!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 29 Feb 2024
This hotel was a dream experience come true! The rooms were beautiful, the staff were very welcoming and attentive, and the amenities were endless.The restaurant had amazing food and the drinks were almost too delicious. I really cannot say enough great things about this place. 10000/10 experience. I would recommend everyone stay at this hotel!
Trip type: Travelled with family
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Rich Oken, General Manager at Freehand Los Angeles, responded to this review
Responded 1 Mar 2024
What an absolutely fabulous review. Thank you for posting. We are so happy you had a great stay with us recently and cannot wait for you to return!
$557
Book Now with Marriott Bonvoy
  • Booking.com
16.5 km from Freehand Los Angeles
View more hotels in Los Angeles
All reviews shared room rooftop bar broken shaker exchange restaurant whole foods bed dorm downtown la enjoyed my stay cool hotel boutique hotel per night dtla bunk roommates lobby hostels hip
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 March 2024

I stayed at Freehand for 4 nights in Feb 2024. I was in LA for a work meeting and for some reason, this is the hotel my company recommended. I wish I had done more research ahead of time and chosen a different place to stay.

Cons
- Half of this hotel is actually a hostel with dorm rooms, and it definitely has hostel vibes. Large groups of young, loud guests hanging out in the hallways and staying up late into the night was unpleasant. One night was so loud I had to call the front desk because of the noise. They sent security up and it did quiet down after that, but having a poor night of sleep for a work event was horrible. My coworker who stayed at the same hotel, different floor, had the same issue the following night.
- The room itself felt like a prison room. Everything is old, and not in a cool vintage way as it may seem in their pictures. The lighting is very dim and there was no natural light because of how close the hotel is to the next building. The lights are motion activated, so they were constantly turning off - even while in the middle of showering. The set up of the room was very confusing and small and there were not enough outlets.
- The location was also horrible, it felt like I was staying on skid row. People were getting into fights at the front door while we were trying to enter and it did not feel safe. It's directly across the street from sketchy bars
- When I flew in, it was pouring rain, so hoped to get dinner at the hotel restaurant with my coworker but their restaurant is closed on certain days (i think sundays and mondays?). They also ran out of umbrellas.

Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Christina O
Rich Oken, General Manager at Freehand Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2024

Thanks for the feedback. We are very sorry you did not have a great stay with us recently. Only a small part of the hotel has the dorm room concept. Vast majority are private king rooms and we run our facility as a full-service hotel. Our apologies regarding the noise you experienced and happy we were able to get it quieted down. Regarding our location, we are actually at the epicenter of all that is in DTLA. We are directly across and nearby many stores, restaurants, cafes, shopping, etc...walking distance to the convention center, Crypto.com Arena, Pershing Square and more. DTLA is DTLA and it is an urban area with many of the same issues all of LA and most other major cities are dealing with now. Regarding our design, we understand it is not for everyone's taste.

Our apologies once again that you did not enjoy the hotel or location.

Reviewed 22 February 2024

Excellent hotel...clean and comfortable rooms, friendly and efficient staff, excellent food. Plus, views from the roof-top pool and bar were wonderful and we could understand why the film industry uses it. We will stay at the Freehand again!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Rich Oken, General Manager at Freehand Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2024

What a wonderful review! Thank you so very much. We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed our staff and hotel and do hope you visit again soon!

We truly appreciate your patronage.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 12 February 2024

No wardrobe doors , no working safe . outside consisted of homeless folk the smell of crack and meth , decent hotel bad area . The decor was yellow and the whole hotel was very dimly lit , i think this might have been purposely done , but not our taste

Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Rich Oken, General Manager at Freehand Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2024

Hello and thank you for the feedback. We are sorry you did not have a great stay with us recently. Sincere apologies regarding the safe. These can easily be "reset" but apologies there was an issue in the first place. DTLA is what it is. Our location is actually the best in DTLA but we do have issues much the same as other urban areas around the country. Though we rarely have any issues we can understand the concern. Apologies as well that the hotel design was not to your liking.

Reviewed 22 January 2024

This used to be better years ago because rates were lower and there weren’t any “facilities fee” no idea what exactly comes with this fee as it I didnt see any extra benefits than when there was no facility fee. Seems like a scam. The rooftop pool will be great when the weather is better, and that’s one of the properties strengths.

Room tip: Come back when the sun is out to use the poo.
Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Rich Oken, General Manager at Freehand Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2024

Thanks for your feedback, Omar. We still do our very best to keep our rates a bit below the DTLA market. We believe that if you shop around and compare, you will find we have the best rates and best value. We sincerely apologize you could not take advantage of our rooftop due to the weather. Hotel has always had a facility fee which includes the wi-fi, phone, access to our Guest Lounge and preferential seating at rooftop and restaurant. Hope this helps.

Reviewed 18 January 2024

The only reason I stayed here was for a wedding, the hotel was in the room block. Although my trip to Los Angeles was amazing the hotel not so much. The rooms are super small and mine had a weird odor like mildew. Also my room was facing the street which was very noisy even from the 7th floor. There is a bar directly across the street and music is blaring.

The safe was broken and the room was super dusty upon check in. Front desk sent someone to fix the safe but he never could and I wasn’t able to use it for my valuables.

The neighborhood of DTLA has potential but there are high amounts of homeless and drug addicted people hanging right outside the door. It’s sad and not ideal for a stay.

I went to rooftop bar on one morning with my husband we had a lovely bartender who gave us some recommendations of beaches and restaurants. While at the bar the girl sitting nex to us was a former bartender there and joined the conversation. She was there visiting her friends and old staff. Conversation was lovely. Later the night I went back to the bar with my husband to meet up with friends and it was busier so we waited online to enter. While online that same “former bartender” was sitting with the bouncer/entrance staff and started to harass me. She was very intoxicated and “whispered” a slur about me to him. Then proceed to say I was underage and I couldn’t come in. The bouncer/entrance staff apologized to me and I asked if she worked there and he said “no, not anymore but she used to and just ignore her because she is drunk”. I told him if she doesn’t work here but is she standing behind the podium intoxicated and he just kept apologizing.I went in to say hi to my friends and then immediately left because no way was I spending a dime in that establishment. It was disgusting, inappropriate and unprofessional to have a former drunk staff member interacting with guest being supported by the current staff. She should have been asked to leave that section. Bad for business and she totally rubbed me the wrong way by her behavior was gross.

Overall this hotel just isn’t it. Hotel Per la is around the corner literally and a much nicer and rooftop is better and rooms are cleaner and staff is professional and sober lol. I would never stay here again.

Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

We are extremely sorry for the issues you experienced. The room should not have been released in this condition and we would have been happy to move you. We could have moved you to a room away from the street as well. The issue at the rooftop is not acceptable and we are investigating internally.

Again, our sincere apologies.