Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Xeno F

Our family stayed here for several days and will definitely be back.

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 21 Feb 2024
Excellent hotel...clean and comfortable rooms, friendly and efficient staff, excellent food. Plus, views from the roof-top pool and bar were wonderful and we could understand why the film industry uses it. We will stay at the Freehand again!
Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled with family
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Rich Oken, General Manager at Freehand Los Angeles, responded to this review
Responded 22 Feb 2024
What a wonderful review! Thank you so very much. We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed our staff and hotel and do hope you visit again soon!

We truly appreciate your patronage.

Thank you once again.
    $255
    $284
16.1 km from Freehand Los Angeles
View more hotels in Los Angeles
All reviews shared room rooftop bar broken shaker exchange restaurant whole foods bed dorm downtown la enjoyed my stay cool hotel boutique hotel per night dtla bunk roommates lobby hostels hip
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 February 2024

No wardrobe doors , no working safe . outside consisted of homeless folk the smell of crack and meth , decent hotel bad area . The decor was yellow and the whole hotel was very dimly lit , i think this might have been purposely done , but not our taste

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Rich Oken, General Manager at Freehand Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2024

Hello and thank you for the feedback. We are sorry you did not have a great stay with us recently. Sincere apologies regarding the safe. These can easily be "reset" but apologies there was an issue in the first place. DTLA is what it is. Our location is actually the best in DTLA but we do have issues much the same as other urban areas around the country. Though we rarely have any issues we can understand the concern. Apologies as well that the hotel design was not to your liking.

Reviewed 22 January 2024

This used to be better years ago because rates were lower and there weren’t any “facilities fee” no idea what exactly comes with this fee as it I didnt see any extra benefits than when there was no facility fee. Seems like a scam. The rooftop pool will be great when the weather is better, and that’s one of the properties strengths.

Room tip: Come back when the sun is out to use the poo.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Rich Oken, General Manager at Freehand Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2024

Thanks for your feedback, Omar. We still do our very best to keep our rates a bit below the DTLA market. We believe that if you shop around and compare, you will find we have the best rates and best value. We sincerely apologize you could not take advantage of our rooftop due to the weather. Hotel has always had a facility fee which includes the wi-fi, phone, access to our Guest Lounge and preferential seating at rooftop and restaurant. Hope this helps.

Reviewed 18 January 2024

The only reason I stayed here was for a wedding, the hotel was in the room block. Although my trip to Los Angeles was amazing the hotel not so much. The rooms are super small and mine had a weird odor like mildew. Also my room was facing the street which was very noisy even from the 7th floor. There is a bar directly across the street and music is blaring.

The safe was broken and the room was super dusty upon check in. Front desk sent someone to fix the safe but he never could and I wasn’t able to use it for my valuables.

The neighborhood of DTLA has potential but there are high amounts of homeless and drug addicted people hanging right outside the door. It’s sad and not ideal for a stay.

I went to rooftop bar on one morning with my husband we had a lovely bartender who gave us some recommendations of beaches and restaurants. While at the bar the girl sitting nex to us was a former bartender there and joined the conversation. She was there visiting her friends and old staff. Conversation was lovely. Later the night I went back to the bar with my husband to meet up with friends and it was busier so we waited online to enter. While online that same “former bartender” was sitting with the bouncer/entrance staff and started to harass me. She was very intoxicated and “whispered” a slur about me to him. Then proceed to say I was underage and I couldn’t come in. The bouncer/entrance staff apologized to me and I asked if she worked there and he said “no, not anymore but she used to and just ignore her because she is drunk”. I told him if she doesn’t work here but is she standing behind the podium intoxicated and he just kept apologizing.I went in to say hi to my friends and then immediately left because no way was I spending a dime in that establishment. It was disgusting, inappropriate and unprofessional to have a former drunk staff member interacting with guest being supported by the current staff. She should have been asked to leave that section. Bad for business and she totally rubbed me the wrong way by her behavior was gross.

Overall this hotel just isn’t it. Hotel Per la is around the corner literally and a much nicer and rooftop is better and rooms are cleaner and staff is professional and sober lol. I would never stay here again.

Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

We are extremely sorry for the issues you experienced. The room should not have been released in this condition and we would have been happy to move you. We could have moved you to a room away from the street as well. The issue at the rooftop is not acceptable and we are investigating internally.

Again, our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 10 January 2024

I cannot comment on the hotel side of the property, it could be an entirely different experience. However, purely from a hostel perspective I would not recommend staying at the Freehand, I checked out after 1 night of my 2 night stay.

Saying this, the front desk staff were helpful and friendly whenever spoken to.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Rich Oken, General Manager at Freehand Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2024

Sorry you did not enjoy your experience. We are hotel with a small shared room component to it. Sharing with others is a requirement in this room type. With no knowledge of why you were not happy we cannot comment on your experience in our dorm. Again, apologies. Perhaps, on your next stay, you try one of our Private King rooms.

We are glad the front desk was helpful regardless of your experience.

Reviewed 12 December 2023 via mobile

The Hotel is great! Old Charm! The front desk employees and also housekeeping are great and so so helpful!

The lobby bar is beautiful and such a great place to hop on your computer to work and have a great cocktail. The food from the Exchange, their lobby restaurant, next level. The Chef was present and came out to talk to me because I was raving about the food so much! Sierra, who was behind the bar, she was fantastic!

Broken Shaker, which is their roof top bar, on the other hand was not as pleasant at all. Their lead bartender, Abby, made me feel incredibly uncomfortable! Her big attitude spread throughout the rest of the staff which in my eyes is not fair to the other lovely staff up there trying work. A lot of my time up there was overhearing comments like “it’s because I’m black right” or “I don’t care”. These comments were made just from another guest asking simple questions and made with a straight face. I mean talk about uncomfortable!! It was hard to watch and hear. I’ve been up there to let loose with friends so many times and have come across this issue before but have never said anything but since I actually was a hotel guest this time and still got horrible treatment, it’s ridiculous that management allows this!That’s not a leader.
I ended up just going to my room for the night after I brought this up to the male manager who laughed in my face and started giving me attitude because I brought up the actions of their bartender.

I will continue to support the restaurant in the lobby and also the lobby bar with its great staff. But Broken Shaker needs a little fixing with management and bar management before I head up there again.

Date of stay: August 2023
Trip type: Travelled solo
Rich Oken, General Manager at Freehand Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2023

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are so happy you enjoyed your experiences at Rudolph's and The Exchange! So wonderful to read that our Chef and Sierra were able to provide you with great service and a nice experience. Our sincere apologies regarding any issues at Broken Shaker. We are following up internally.

Thank you once again.