“Mediocre and over priced”

The Broken Yolk Cafe
Ranked #30 of 129 Restaurants in La Quinta
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Cuisines: American, Diner, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Private Dining
Description: Hungry? Then Get In Here! Serving home-style food since 1979, the Broken Yolk Cafe is a favorite among locals and hungry visitors alike. With a strong dedication to good food and equally good service, the Broken Yolk has built a reputation for its large menu, ample portions and freshly-made flavor. Real shredded hash browns - not dehydrated potatoes. Salsa made fresh daily - never from a can or jar. With over twenty different omelets plus a large variety of breakfast favorites including pancakes, waffles and French toast, Broken Yolk satisfies even the heartiest of diners - all in a clean, comfortable and casual atmosphere. Breakfast is served all day long, but if it's lunch you're craving, try one of our signature salads, juicy half-pound burgers or street taco plates. Whenever you're hungry, Broken Yolk is your place for fresh food served everyday of the week. Call or e-mail us for information about our private meeting room!
Reviewed 3 May 2018

The lack of a decent breakfast house brought my friends and I to this restaurant and we were, to a man, disappointed. Not bad was the best we could say but for the price very mediocre. Unless you are desperate for a breakfast skip this one.

Oscar B, Owner at The Broken Yolk Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Hello Francis,
I am reading your review and I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations.... I am not sure what you had but we do have many ways to overcome the economic crisis, let me share with you that Monday to Friday we have a $5.99 special and it has about 7 choices for you to check out, at that price there is no one that will match that!!! also we do have unlimited refills in coffee and sodas and they are both under $3 so with a $5.99 and a beverage you are under $10 easy. Please let me know if you are open to come back and let me show you what we can do for you. I want to earn your business and make it right for you.
Thank you!!

Reviewed 17 April 2018

During our three month stay we try a different Sunday AM breakfast restaurant weekly. Although it has a casual restaurant style and is a bit noisy, the French toast & omelettes were among the best the entire season. We also ordered the "Mimosa Champagne Flight Sampler" (1/4 servings of 4-5 mimosas with various juices--pineapple, cranberry, strawberry, etc.) for $5. It was enough for each of the four of us to try an adequate amount of each type. We arrived at 9:15 with a reservation, and the place was 3/4 full. Within 30 minutes the place was packed and folks were waiting inside & around the corner. The location has an outside eating area. The service was impeccable (prompt, attentive, follow up, friendly, courteous), and the food was delivered quickly considering how busy the restaurant was at the time.

Mariana R, Manager at The Broken Yolk Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Thank you for your review, Daniel! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your meal!!

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Went to Broken Yolk on Sunday 3/18/18. We have had breakfast there a number of time and have found the food good and service to be friendly, accurate, and professionial. Wow, what difference this visit was. My wife and I both ordered specials. Both meals arrived in the almost same condition: Eggs almost cold-My bacon burned to a crisp, and hers barely cooked at all. Hash browns barely warm. We are not complainers and have seldom if ever have asked to speak to a manager about these breakfasts we were not going to eat. Each of us took about two bites, and that was it. Manager person arrives at our table, and before I could fully explain why I asked to speak to him, commented "This happens all the time here" and quickly whisked out plates off the table and stormed off. We never heard: "Can we re-fire your breakfast, or would you like something else?" Nothing. We quickly left, vowing never to come back. What an attitude

Mariana R, Manager at The Broken Yolk Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

We are very disappointed reading your review. We want to do our best to provide our guests with great food and service and we hate to hear that we fell short of that goal during your visit. Please feel free to email us at social@thebrokenyolkcafe.com. We would love to make this right.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

This was a complete and total bust! We sat down to a nice table, good start, but that was about the last good quality. Our server was sweet and she tried, but NOTHING went well. Our coffee was ice cold when it was served to us. All of our food was cold as if it has been sitting for 3” minutes before bringing it out. My cheese had that old waxy look, the egg was cold fries were old, cold and stale.

Other orders at the table were missing ingredients and temperature was cold as well. When I finally asked to speak to the manager, a bald gentlemen that never gave us his name, he was defensive stating that we should have sat inside. If it were cool outside shouldn’t the food and coffee fast warmer???? All he was willing to do was replace the items. He took no responsibility, offered no apologies and was actually argumentative, snide and rude.

I’m sorry that this place was not good today, but to be treated like it was my fault for being upset by a manager was definitely NOT my issue and was unacceptable. Too many choices in the desert to go someplace where your business is not appreciated.

We are very disappointed to read that you had this experience with us. We always want to do our best to provide our guests with great service and even better food, but we don't always get it right. We appreciate your feedback and will do our best to make improvements for the future. We would love to welcome you back in an effort to make things right. Please feel free to email us at social@thebrokenyolkcafe.com. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

We wanted breakfast in a somewhat traditional style, so we opted for ham and eggs, but they have ample choices. Their breakfast menu included many items including waffles, pancakes and omelettes, They also do Mexican breakfasts with items that looked delicious.It looked very clean, servers had a neat and clean appearance, got your orders back to you quickly, so the food was warm and tasted great. Prices were average for this type of restaurant

Thank you for your review, Michael! We are glad you enjoyed your meal! We hope to see you again!