“Incredible and Humbling Experience, Desert Retreat”
Living area Living area
Private patio
Exterior
Exterior
Communal heated plunge pool
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Condo/Apartment -
Studio, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 2
Desert Hot Springs, Greater Palm Springs, California

Reviews from our community

Very good - based on 9 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
French first
Any
Dwsanchez
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Incredible and Humbling Experience, Desert Retreat”
Reviewed 2 October 2015 for a stay in May 2015
people found this review helpful

John Lautner is by far my favorite architect. My wife and I are both big MCM buffs and we enjoy Neutra, Wexler, Cody, and others. But Lautner is tops. His melding of earth, sky, and dwelling is unparalleled.

When I discovered a few years ago that Lautner's long forgotten Desert Hot Springs Motel was being restored, I knew that I had to stay here one day. While I may never have the privilege of owning a Lautner home, I could not pass up a chance to stay here. Okay, I actually planned the stay to coincide with my wife's birthday, and maybe I was just a little more excited to stay here than she was, but we both had an incredible and very relaxing experience.

We stayed in the Desert Retreat, Room 1, which is located on the back of the property, with tons of privacy. The decor, furniture and touches are perfect, top notch, and period appropriate. The room has everything you need to cook, eat, and imbibe cocktails. There is even an outdoor gas BBQ and excellent lounge area, along with dipping pool. My props to the owners (Tracy and Ryan), who by the way are totally down to earth and very accommodating. The room is a perfect size for two persons and the hotel would be great to rent out with three other couples. We plan to do this in the future.

Sitting in the room just taking in the history, perusing the numerous books about Lautner and Palm Springs, it all makes one feel so humbled and appreciative of the Mr. Lautner's work. We slept amazingly sound and comfortable during our stay. My wife was extremely happy to spend her birthday at Hotel Lautner, and we cannot wait to go back again, hoping to bring additional couples or family. 5 Stars all the way. Bravo.

Value Cleanliness
stillwate...
Pebble Beach, California
“Not really a hotel”
Reviewed 26 March 2015 for a stay in March 2015
people found this review helpful

First of all, this is a beautiful mid century venue. I don`t think anyone would argue with that. But it is more like staying in a extra room your aunt has when she is out of town. Nice room with no, or limited extras. No wifi. Questionable neighborhood (bars on windows, warning signs etc) . Laughable continental breakfast. Outrageous price (3 dollars) for coffee pods after one cup. We went to World Market and bought a box for around 40 cents apiece. It is almost like you are too much trouble for the innkeeper . Very unaccomidating. Probably should not be innkeepers. They did a great job on the restoration though. Skip the hotel . There is mid century modern everywhere you look.

Value Location
FarOffPla...
“An Architectural Masterpiece / Wonderfully Private Gem!”
Reviewed 1 October 2014 for a stay in September 2014
people found this review helpful

An amazing and rare opportunity to experience one of the Masters of Mid Century Architecture up close. Rooms were expertly appointed with incredible vintage designer furnishings and decor!

I created a Yelp account just to give this rave review on this great place (although if I'm truly honest, I'd much rather selfishly keep this Getaway Gem off the radar so we can always have it available for ourselves!!!)

My fiancée and I got out of town for a quick overnighter last week and were incredibly impressed with every aspect of our stay here! Set a few miles off the highway in the corner of a small neighborhood (about a 10-15 minute drive to the shops and restaurants of Palm Springs proper) this deceivingly sized desert gem offered an incredible amount of space, privacy and serene solitude all compactly fit into the size of a residential lot! When we pulled up, our first look at the walled exterior offered up two thoughts immediately -"How beautiful is this gorgeously manicured landscape/hardscape in front of these grey stucco walls and wood gates?!?" and -"How in the world does all of what we've seen in the pictures fit into this tiny space?!?"

It's all in the design... John Lautner created this incredibly compact and surprisingly private little oasis over half a century ago and Tracy and her partner Ryan brought it back from near ruin and beautifully updated the property, truly honoring the original design with absolutely amazing finishes. We're both huge Mid Century Modern fans and loved the furnishings in Room 2... Milo Baughman, Reggiani, and Sigurd Resell pieces all nestled in a cozy room affording a surprising amount of space and comfort! The walls of glass with a private succulent garden on the other side do an amazing job creating the illusion of a much more expansive space, and when I spent some time later that night looking at the stars on the patio, I never once heard anyone else even though at least two of the other three rooms were booked with guests.

Personal attention and little touches & amenities were a true treat! Tracy (and Danny!) were extremely gracious hosts taking time to show us around the property and event grounds. We enjoyed a quick dip in the plunge pool when we came back from dinner in town and again, even though there were other guests, we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves! The bed was so comfortable, we wrote down the make and model since we're currently in the market for a new one! The room was cool, the linens crisp and high end, and the Kuerig was stocked with a nice variety of coffee pods! We were reluctant to leave and only wish we could've avoided our obligations and stayed on a few more days (or weeks or months!)

Thank You Tracy and Hotel Lautner! We really truly enjoyed our stay here and can't wait to come back!
All the Best
Christopher & Rachel

Rooms Cleanliness
Btron
San Francisco, California
“Amazing place”
Reviewed 25 December 2013 for a stay in December 2013
person found this review helpful

This hotel is an oasis. The architecture is incredible, and the interiors are incredibly decorated, fitting the property. The owners include great records and cds. The lighting of the property and the plants is amazing.The firepit is relaxing to hang out near. I didn't try the dipping pool because it was cold out, and it is not hot tub, it is a dipping pool. I stayed in room 2, which was incredibly cool, with the plants surrounding the bed. This hotel screams sexy. I can't wait to go back.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Travelling group: Solo
HuntressC...
Los Angeles, CA
“Fun, interesting but considerable shortcomings too”
Reviewed 27 November 2012 for a stay in November 2012
people found this review helpful

I'm not going to repeat any of the items mentioned by the prior reviewer in "A few things to know." Read that -- it's all true! I will add my .02. My sig other and I jumped at the chance to stay at a Lautner designed hotel -- the architecture is the real draw here, all wood, glass and midcentury modern. The downside is the ample windows left us exposed to a very tall and bright security light on the premises that stays lit all night long.I don't know the crime statistics in Desert Hot Springs but something must be up for them to resort to such a drastic measure. We never had darkness in our unit and had to wear sleep masks (yes, the room comes with two). Fortunately the bed, although small, is very comfy with soft Italian linens. I slept well in spite of the klieg light. It's quiet at night and you won't hear a peep from the hipsters in the adjacent units. They've added a few amenities that didn't exist at the time of the original construction in 1947 e.g. a Keurig coffeemaker and a flat screen TV (hidden behind an oil painting). You'll get two Keurig cups gratis and asked to pay $3 for any beyond that. The bathroom comes with L'Occitane toiletries and Frette linens, no complaints there. The kitchen comes equipped with a "beverage center" that keeps its contents at 46-degrees -- so not a real refrigerator and don't expect ice cubes. Luckily it's a quick trip to the nearby supermarket or you'll be drinking your cocktail straight up. It's an excellent place for relaxing which you can do by the communal fire pit, on the chaise lounges in your private outdoor patio or in the small warm saline spa pool (not large enough for actual swimming and no jacuzzi). Very slow wireless internet. We really enjoyed staying at such a unique property with all the care taken to the restoration and interior design but would have liked to know about the various shortcomings in advance...kind of pricey for what we got.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Travelling group: Couples
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing