“Dolphins and a blue whale! WOW.”

Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari
Book In Advance
More Info
US$65.00*
and up
Dana Point Whale Watching and Dolphin Watching Eco-Safari
Ranked #1 of 21 Tours in Dana Point
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale watch with Capt. Dave's Dolphin and Whale Watching Safari in Dana Point on our high-tech sailing catamaran year round, with two Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods. For 20 years Captain Dave's has provided daily trips to see dolphins, up to 10,000 strong, leap and play right off our bow, plus Gray Whales (December through April), Blue Whales (May through November), and year round Humpback Whales, Fin Whales, Minke Whales, and so much more. Go underwater with whales and dolphins without getting wet during your whale watch in our Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods aboard Manute'a. Listen to dolphins during your whale watching safari with our underwater Hydrophone. Celebrity and certified naturalists make this exciting Dana Point whale watching excursion educational and entertaining too. Mrs. Capt. Dave's famous triple-fudge brownies make this a one-of-a-kind dolphin and whale watching adventure unforgettable. We are a real Eco-tourism company providing only sustainable wildlife viewing. Ask about Fast Cat, our upscale Rigid Hull Inflatable Catamaran and the newest boat in our whale watching fleet.
Reviewed 24 August 2015

One of the most amazing experiences I've had so far. I told myself that if I didn't get to see a whale it'd be still worth it, because I love dolphins and I was almost sure we'd get to see those (oh, we did!) but the truth was that I would have been a little disappointed if I hadn't... (obviously not the company's fault, since these are wild animals!) But luckily for us, we saw one blue whale. I still can't believe it. Whenever I think about it, I smile. I can't believe we saw the biggest animal on Earth! It was wonderful! Just... unbelievable.

And last, but not least, the crew was amazing. I loved the trip and their comments! So much knowledge. If I ever go back to California, I hope I can come back to one of these tours!

ArielleA, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2015

Hi,

Thank you so much for your review!

I’m thrilled you had an amazing dolphin and whale watching trip. What a perfect day with both dolphin and Blue Whale sightings. I agree that it really is something to smile about. I’m also very glad that you found the safari to be exciting as well as educational. Our crew works hard to make it the best possible experience for our guests.

Thank you again, and we’d love to have you back on board soon!

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"southern california"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 24 August 2015

My wife and I were spending a few days in San Clemente with no concrete plans and a couple of friends of ours recommended we check out Captain Dave's Safari. I have always been interested in doing a whale watching tour but have always been nevervous because I am not a "seafaring" person. We finally decided to give it a try and called them up out of the blue one morning and got on the 11:00 a.m. tour. We went to the local grocery store and bought some "Bonine" to help with sea sickness and took it an hour before the tour was to start.

The check in process was very easy and they had us on the boat right at 11:00 a.m. There were probably about 30 of us on the boat ranging from small children to older couples.

Here are some things I learned from our first "Dolpin and Whale Watching Excursion"

1. If you are prone to sea sickness....The ocean is definately rougher when you are in it then looking at it. If you have any propensity towards sea sickness be sure and take medication before you go. The boat was about 50 feet long but it still did alot of rocking and rolling. We didn't throw up but even with with Bonine we still had moments of "quesyness". The back of the boat is definately the place to sit. It is much more stable than the front of the boat.

2. I thought they relied upon sonar to find the whales. Not true. They rely upon reports from other whale watchers. It was not nearly as scientific as I thought it was. Because of that we saw some whales spout from a distance (1/4 to 1/2 a mile) and we saw the tail fin of a humpback whale but that was our extent of whale sightings. Don't expect that if you go on a whale watching tour that the whales will be surfacing right next to the boat....Not true. It is a crapshoot as to when and where they surface....based on sightings and luck.

3. Even without really great whale sightings...the dolphin pods made up for it. We spent probably 30 - 45 minutes "playing" with a large pod of dolphins (hundreds of them). That was worth the whole trip. They are such beautiful and fun creatures. Well worth going just for that experience. Make sure you go to the front of the boat to watch them swim along with the boat. They were awesome.

4. The crew on the boat was wonderful. Very knowledgable and helpful. I really enjoyed the fact that they took the time to educate us about the whales and the dolphins and other sea creatures.

Overall, we were grateful we went. I would recommend going. Again, make sure you take sea sick pills and sunscreen. You may wish to also consider bringing binoculars. Anyway we had a great time.

Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your dolphin and whale watching safari.

You made a good decision to take advantage of a motion sickness remedy before your trip knowing that you are prone to sea sickness. While many people are not affected by nausea because they find that our catamarans with their twin hulls are much more stable than a regular boat, ocean conditions can still cause some passengers to experience discomfort. At our check in area we offer a variety of remedies including Dramamine and Bonine as well as other non-medicinal options for those who are concerned. Following your example and enjoying the ride in the back of the boat with lots of fresh air also helps, and in general, the earlier the trip, the smoother the ride will be. For that reason, if you know you're prone to motion sickness, we recommend reserving a morning safari and the earlier the better. If you start to feel queasy during the safari please let one of our crew members know. They're happy to help.

I’m happy you had the chance to enjoy a large, playful pod of dolphins, as well as a humpback whale sighting. We are fortunate to have the opportunity to see a number of different whales off our coast, and at varying distances from our boats – some will be farther away, as you saw them, but others are much more interested in us and have been known to regularly come quite close, just like the dolphins do. In fact, just this past weekend a juvenile Humpback Whale came so close and took such a liking to our boat that the Captain couldn't leave! Since it's up to the animals, not us, to determine how close they are to the boat, binoculars are not usually necessary but they can be helpful if the animals are shy.

You are correct that we do not rely upon sonar to locate the whales, as doing so would in fact injure them! Our experienced crew relies upon good old-fashioned eyeballs to spot the animals, and are successful for the vast majority of our trips. It’s wonderful to read that you were pleased with our crew’s level of service, as it is important to us to provide a dolphin and whale watching safari that is both fun and educational.

We’re so glad you had a great time, and we hope you’ll visit us again soon!

Reviewed 22 August 2015

everyone involved with the whale watch was helpful and professional and friendly. we saw 4 whales and a bunch of bottle nose dolphins. it was cool to be so close to the water.

Hi,

Thanks for leaving us a review!

I’m glad to read that you liked your dolphin and whale watching trip. We do pride ourselves on being able to connect people with the beauty of the ocean in a very up-close and personal way with our unique boats and experienced, well-informed crew. Is there anything that you think we could improve upon to earn a 5-star review from you next time? We’d certainly appreciate your suggestions.

I’m so happy you had fun and hopefully we’ll see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 August 2015

I love going whale watching with Captain Dave's. For the past two summers I have been out with this group and have marveled at seeing blue whales out on the ocean. Be sure to get there early because summertime parking is hard to find, but there are accommodations for whale watchers. The underwater viewing pod is a feature that other vessels don't have.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your review, and for being one of our valued returning guests.

I’m so pleased that you enjoy our dolphin and whale watching trips, and that you saw some amazing Blue Whales! Summer is a very busy season for us and as you mentioned, parking in Dana Point Harbor can be challenging at times. During the summer months or on holiday weekends we recommend that guests arrive 60 minutes ahead of time to make sure they find a parking spot in either of the two lots nearby. Unfortunately there are no separate parking accommodations for whale watching passengers at this time. Also, in general, guests who book for an earlier morning trip will have an easier time with parking and traffic in general.

Thanks again for your review. Do you have any suggestions for us on how we may improve and earn a 5-star review from you next time? We’d appreciate your input!