“Truly enjoyable”

Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari
Ranked #3 of 26 Tours in Dana Point
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale watch with Capt. Dave's Dolphin and Whale Watching Safari in Dana Point on our high-tech sailing catamaran year round, with two Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods. For 20 years Captain Dave's has provided daily trips to see dolphins, up to 10,000 strong, leap and play right off our bow, plus Gray Whales (December through April), Blue Whales (May through November), and year round Humpback Whales, Fin Whales, Minke Whales, and so much more. Go underwater with whales and dolphins without getting wet during your whale watch in our Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods aboard Manute'a. Listen to dolphins during your whale watching safari with our underwater Hydrophone. Celebrity and certified naturalists make this exciting Dana Point whale watching excursion educational and entertaining too. Mrs. Capt. Dave's famous triple-fudge brownies make this a one-of-a-kind dolphin and whale watching adventure unforgettable. We are a real Eco-tourism company providing only sustainable wildlife viewing. Ask about Fast Cat, our upscale Rigid Hull Inflatable Catamaran and the newest boat in our whale watching fleet.
Reviewed 18 August 2015 via mobile

Beautiful calm day on the ocean with multiple pods of Dolphins. Great hosts with knowledge and good sense of humor.
Well worth it and best photo of me and hubby ever ...

1  Thank c d
ArielleA, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2015

Hi,
Thank you for leaving us a review about your dolphin and whale watching trip! I'm very glad to read that you liked the safari, our crew, and the souvenir portrait too. Is there anything we can do to improve and earn a 5-star rating from you next time? We sincerely appreciate any suggestions you may have!

All reviews
in 19 reviews
"nice boat"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

What a fantastic trip with Captain Dave. He had an excellent instinct as to where the whales would be and the timings on the whales rising to the surface. We stayed out an extra 90 minutes beyond what we were told. We had superb views of the blue whales, and 3 species of dolphins. Absolutely loved our trip with Captain Dave' dolphin and whale safari. Highly recommended.

1  Thank JennyForbes
ArielleA, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2015

Hi,

Thank you very much for your review and recommendation.

It’s gratifying to read how much you loved your dolphin and whale watching safari with Captain Dave. He has decades of experience working with marine life, and is passionate about making sure each trip is unforgettable for his guests. It sounds like your trip was extraordinary with so many sightings and extra time out on the water! I’m glad you were able to see Blue Whales this summer. I hope you’ll join us again!

Reviewed 11 August 2015

We booked this trip after seeing all the wonderful reviews. I booked online and then I received within 30 minutes of booking a wonderful phone call thanking me for booking an confirming a few things. How is that for customer service! We got to the location in plenty of time. The trip was a good as advertised. We thoroughly enjoyed the captain and he tried desperately to find a whale for us to see. Apparently a few people saw a "minkus??" whale. However, it is simply amazing all the dolphins you will see and how they jump in and out of the water. Amazing!!! Go out on the front of the ship and you can look down in the water and see the dolphins clear as day gliding under the boat. It was amazing!!! I've never seen anything like it in my life. My husband absolutely loved the trip and said it was well worth it. My sister-in-law enjoyed it as well. I would highly recommend this as an attraction to see. It's only about 15 minutes from Laguna Beach.

1  Thank Drinker53
ArielleA, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2015

Hi,

Thanks for leaving us a review!

I’m glad that you and your family had a lovely dolphin and whale watching experience. We are proud of our high quality customer service, and our crew is passionate about making sure you see dolphins and whales, such as the Minke (pronounced Min-key) whales that were sighted on your trip. Minke whales are the smallest baleen whales that we see, and they are sometimes mistaken for large dolphins. It’s fantastic that the dolphins were so active and playful during your safari – our boats are designed to facilitate your enjoyment of these animals with the Eye-Spy Dolphin Nets and close proximity to the water.

Thank you again for your recommendation. We’d love to see you again!

Reviewed 11 August 2015

We did a lot of research on whale and dolphin tours in the area and decided on Captain Dave's because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews. So glad we did!
The boat was amazing and had underwater pods for viewing dolphins. We saw a humpback whale, several sea lions, and many, many, many dolphins. The crew went out of their way to ensure clear vantage points each time. They are extremely knowledgeable about marine life in the area and are one of only a few companies permitted to intervene in animal rescue. Parking was free and easy.
I saw other companies who advertised lower prices but I really believe that you get what you pay for. We will definitely be back!

ArielleA, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2015

Hi,

Thank you for your review. I’m so happy you had a great time on your dolphin and whale watching adventure. We endeavor to provide the highest quality of customer service and informative, exciting, eco-friendly tours. It’s wonderful that our crew was able to share a variety of animal sightings with you. Thanks so much for choosing us – we’d love to see you on another trip soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 August 2015

This was highlight. I took my seasickness tablets and off we went on a large catamaran. It was choppy if you stand at the front but at the back it was fine and you could see plenty from there. The kids got to go down into an underwater pod to observe the dolphin uo close and this was an amazing experience for them. The team lead by captain Tom seemed very experienced and knoweledgeable and was prepared to go the extra mile to make sure we saw plenty of whales and dolphins. It is perfectly safe with young children and they loved it. The trip was about 3 hours. Bring a long sleeved top as it is a bit breezy.

1  Thank nicinlondon

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! I’m so glad that you and your family were able to enjoy seeing magnificent whales and dolphins on our catamaran Manute’a. The Underwater Viewing Pods are very fun and I’m happy you took advantage of this unique, up-close way to view the animals. It is usually cooler out on the boat than it is on the land, so it’s a good suggestion about bringing long sleeves – we do recommend that guests always bring a jacket or sweatshirt just in case. Thank you for joining us, and I hope we will see you again soon.