All reviews wizard of oz historic hotel live jazz john wayne david hall happy hour trader joe's continental breakfast mgm studios every evening yogurt historic feel beautiful room cookie cutter flat iron street side within walking distance
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

The best hotel!!!!

Smaller hotel in a classic building leads to sense of familiarity. A special shout out to front end manager, David Hall, and his staff.
He and his staff as well as the servers in the bar/restaurant were so efficient and friendly. They made all the arrangements and service seem so effortless and the results were spot on. All the staff were eager to help and did not need to be asked. We felt as if we were staying with family and they wanted to ensure the best stay possible. We returned late from our son’s wedding with a group of friends and they reopened the bar for us.

Will be back and will recommend the hotel to everyone.

All of our friends enjoyed the hotel and friendliness of staff as well.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Thank you to Seth and staff for making my friends from NJ and myself feel so welcomed in this gorgeous, beautifully renovated hotel. We had such a great time. The beds were so comfy, the rooms were spacious, bathroom was huge. We arrived around 630pm and the lounge was hopping. There was a great jazz band playing that night. Such an amazing stay. Thanks again, I will be back for sure.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Special thanks to Seth Horowitz and his amazing team for helping out a Dutch family during their recent trip to Los Angeles ! The family arrived to find their booking.com reservation was a scam and were out of their money but also had nowhere to stay on Saturday night at 9pm ! A quick phone call to the amazing hands on manager , we managed to get them room for the night and they were well treated and felt so relieved to find this great little hotel in the center of an action packed Culver City !! It's a hidden gem ... and we wish for them only good things for being so kind and helpful !
Ps lovely bar and music room downstairs that's a fabulous restaurant and place to go listen to live music too !!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2018

This lovely classic hotel, famed for its celebrity guests and owners back in the day, is a pleasure to visit. Wonderful common areas, inside and out. Takes a few days to absorb the details.

Staff was uniformly friendly and charming. Happy hour lasts 3 hours every night. Very popular on weekends, as this is the best bar/restaurant in the surrounding area.

Our room was small with two queens, but the furnishings were well chosen to maximize the space. The chandelier, set in a medallion, set in a large rectangle of egg and dart casing, as well as simple raised molding on the walls, gave the room a classic feel. There was a shortage of horizontal space and desk height outlets, so computer and recharging functions were a bit limited. I use a CPAP machine and had to move the phone to the floor to have room to set it up.

The restaurant staff was pleasant and service was good. Menu is good but short (Try the parm fries and the burger, or the specials).

Note there is a major construction project next door to the east. There are only a few rooms that face east, but lucky us got one. We were asked if the top floor was OK, but we were not asked if overlooking an ongoing construction site was OK. They don't work on the weekend, but Monday 8 AM can be a rude awakening.

Stayed: June 2018
Reviewed 24 May 2018

The Culver Hotel is a very old and historic venue that has been renovated in keeping with its history, so that you still feel it's original yet it is completely comfortable and very hip. From the excellent service and gracious friendliness of everyone from the desk staff to valet parkers, maitre d, and cleaning staff, everyone was so lovely. I was upgraded to a fabulous and very comfortable suite where i felt I was in Paris while in Los Angeles. I had dinner and drinks with a colleague and all the food was top notch - better than what is usually found in hotels. The complimentary continental breakfast was very ample, varied and of high quality - I particularly appreciated the delicious fresh orange juice and the variety of fruits as well as the yummy quiche. I loved the artwork I found everywhere, the cool bar upstairs and took advantage of listening to their wonderful live nightly jazz music accompanied by old movies screened on the walls. I worked out in the small but very well equipped exercise room and everything was in order there and functioned well. I can't wait to return to The Culver Hotel, which is also very conveniently located to get to many places around town easily (a big deal in LA) and is in a fun, vibrant hip neighborhood where you can - Gasp! In Los Angeles! - WALK to lots of things including a farmers market, Trader Joes, many fantastic eateries, coffee and drinks places, and the wonderful Arclight theater is just behind the hotel's outdoor area - you don't even have to cross a street. It's all very well laid out. I'd highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: I enjoyed being on the highest floor (6)
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business