Lisheen Castle was our perfect home for the Murphy Kelley family voyage to find our Irish roots. The castle, accommodations, unbelievable breakfasts, cultural visits throughout the island, and sumptuous dinners with endless wine could not have been better. The castle and its grounds are even more inviting than their photos. Zane is a generous, accommodating host who is now a valued friend. Tanks, as they say in Ireland.
Our family trip to Lisheen Castle was in June 2018 and it included 12 adults and one baby. We are happy to report that all of those previous reviews we read were true. This castle was exactly as stated.
We have just a few new thoughts to help pay it forward for others.
1. Rest assured that Lisheen Castle is a legitimate castle. It is not part castle part hotel or part house. There is even a wall chart in the sunroom showing the genealogy of the original owners complete with pictures! Absolutely amazing to look at.
2. Pleasant sleeping arrangements were key for our group and luckily for us, the beds at the castle did not disappoint! They were all very comfortable with good bedding, great pillows and the bedrooms themselves, are spread across the entire second floor which is massive. The kitchen and country dining room are located on the first floor which enabled our early risers a chance to gather for breakfast and have conversations without disturbing our late sleepers.
3. There are many interesting spots to gather in the castle. The library with it’s cozy peet fireplace was our favorite and the outdoor patio complete with dining set our second. Our wine and cheese parties outside allowed us to sit and view the extensive front property while being perfectly situated to watch sunsets. Our group was also drawn to the neighbors friendly cows. Every night they lined up along the rock wall waiting for us to come over and visit them. They were the prettiest dairy cows we have ever seen!
4. We made the mistake of having a full agenda for each day to a popular tourist site that required early starts, long drives and late returns. Towards the end of our week we asked Zane for ideas and his recommendations were spot on. Our group found them every bit as enjoyable so save some time for a day or two of that.
5. While the kitchen at the castle is fully outfitted for cooking and we had several great cooks in our group, we advise considering other options. The time spent sourcing food, prepping it, cooking it and then cleaning it all up for our group was ridiculous. We found local pubs such as the “Monks” and “Murphy’s” to be better alternatives. They had great atmosphere, friendly people and fantastic food choices making those nights more enjoyable.
If you have ever dreamt of staying in an authentic castle for a week, surrounded by private and rolling green hills and imagining what it might feel like to live like royalty, this is your place.
The Everard family allowed our family to experience the trip of a lifetime by giving us the keys to the whole castle. No hotel could ever deliver that!
We booked a week at Lisheen Castle with our family and friends for our 30th Wedding Anniversary. Cannot say enough about how wonderful Zane and his staff were to us! The castle is beautiful! Rooms spacious, Beds comfortable, beautiful grounds and landscaping, we never felt crowded!
Due to our group size and the difficulty in touring the country with numerous rental cars, we booked the Tour Package. We started each day with a delicious, hearty breakfast, then on to our private bus to the scheduled tours around Central, Southern and even Western Ireland, returning back to the castle by early evening to enjoy another delicious 3 course meal! The food was phenomenal! One evening we were driven to dinner at Chez Hans restaurant in Cashel...outstanding! Another evening we were taken to a Pub in Thurles, so much fun! Another evening at the castle Zane had a harpist serenade us while we ate. It was truly a vacation...no cooking or cleaning, just enjoying the beauty of the Irish countryside and the people. Our group ranged in age from 21-70 and everyone found something they enjoyed. We would go again in a heartbeat! If you have the opportunity GO!!!
We had high expectations for our two week castle adventure to Ireland and Lisheen Castle exceeded them all! Owner Zane Everhard was exceedingly helpful in advance of the trip, was on-hand throughout our stay to provide recommendations for excursions, and the large size of the castle made for a comfortable stay for our family and the families who joined us. The castle is ideally located in central Ireland which made for easy day trips throughout the country and its setting about 15 minutes from the nearest town allowed us easy access to all that we needed balanced with the quiet and natural setting we were hoping for. Our children loved playing in the fields and on the playset at the castle which is something they don't easily get to do at home given that we live in a large American city. I can't say enough about Lisheen Castle. It is definitely deserving of all of its 5 star ratings!!
We called Lisheen Castle home for a week, and a very special week it was! My husband’s family and my family all met at Lisheen Castle bringing together people from both sides of the coast in Canada and the USA as well as three generations. We came together to enjoy the beauty of Ireland and learn more of our heritage and Lisheen Castle was the perfect spot to do so from. The words that first come to mind when many of us relive our trip are “magical”. Zane, the owner met us upon arrival telling us of the history of Lisheen as he walked us through the spectacular castle. Zane is warm and so receptive throughout your stay to make sure you are enjoying Lisheen and the surrounding area to the fullest. His staff, especially his cook Ursula, are a joy. Ursula made us wonderful traditional Irish breakfasts as well as cooked formal dinners in the dining room. Zane and his staff are quick to help in any way needed and can share an Irish tale or two upon doing so. During our stay our group ventured out in various directions for day trips but we also enjoyed the castle and grounds a large extent as we had a two and four year old with us. We had a wonderful dinner party dubbed “the Royal Ball” by our youngest princesses in residence and enjoyed many an afternoon and evening lounging in the farm kitchen and library with a roaring fire. From fancy to simple comforts, all your needs are met. You can get lost in the castle delighting in the character all around you or go out and explore as the beauty is endless. Thank you Zane and your wonderful staff for an unforgettable and yes, magical, holiday that will never be forgotten! We can't wait to do it again!