Sweetwaters Serena Camp
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Maiyan(Nanyuki Town)
  • Breakfast included
Aberdare Country Club(Aberdare National Park)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsol pejeta conservancygame driveschimpanzee sanctuaryluxury tentswatering holewater holeblack rhinomain buildingelectric fencenight safaripastaserena campdining areahot water bottles at nightfirst rowbuffet stylesweet waters
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a super tented camp in the world famous Ol Pejeta Conservancy and really a top class hotel. Plenty of animals come to the watering hole and we were lucky to witness some of their ' sparring ' matches. Hotel staff and service was terrific and food excellent. A drive ine Ol Pejeta Conservancy resulted in a new experience for us - being chased by an elephant. Having visited many game parks this was a first for us.All in all an experience we will not forget.

Room Tip: Although it is a tented camp this has all the amenities of a luxury hotel and perfect for an African safari tour experience.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Don't be nervous of the word "tent" when it comes to this hotel; it was great. Right on the waterhole I could hear the animals at night; it did take a minute to get used to. I had a water buck munching just outside my tent; we looked at each other...I went back to sleep and he kept eating. The safari's were good; don't do a night one. They're a waste of time; doing them during the day is a crap shoot. At night, we saw were the same animals we had seen during the day. The endangered Rhinos are a MUST! Our server David was outstanding and took wonderful care of us.

Room Tip: Some people had the renovated suites but they didn't have the best views of the watering hole.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay here! This was our second stay in a Serena hotel (first at Sweetwaters)and just as good as the first.

The staff are wonderful, the tents are comfortable and there is loads of choice on the food.

We have enjoyed the game drives and especially our visit to the endangered species enclosure to visit the last two Northern White Rhinos (this has to be booked directly with the conservancy but the hotel arranged transfers no problem).

One piece of advice - April is the start of the rainy season and so it has rained everyday, some activities were unavailable because of this. We had to come at this time due to UK school holidays but I think earlier in the year is better.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah K
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Let me start out by saying that I have been visiting Africa and taking Safari’s for the past 18 years. In fact, I previously stayed at this camp in 2001 and several other Camps in the vicinity. With regards to the grounds, the staff and the facility I give it 5 stars. There are however, a few disappointments. First of all, the last time I visited, this was an intimate camp of about 20 tents; today, there are 50+. Secondly, in 18 years of going on Safari almost every camp I have booked accommodations in did not allow children under the age of 12. I love children, and have 4 of my own, who are now grown adults, but I did not take them on Safari until they could appreciate and be respectful of the environment. My big gripe about Sweetwaters is that they have broken “code”. I come to Africa to un-plug, and get away from the world; the last thing I want to listen to is a bunch of babies crying in the dining room at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The table next to mine literally had a baby being fed by her mother, who played music to soothe her baby so she would not cry; I am sorry, but this is not peaceful to me on my vacation! I am not exaggerating when I tell you there were over 50 children in camp the day my wife and I were there. If you want to play to the family demographic, which I might have enjoyed when I had children under 12, then have a separate dining room where families can be together, make noise, and not bother the rest of the clientele that came there for respite. I have been assured by the management that this is normally only a problem on the weekends, when Ex-pat’s bring their families out to the country for a get away, but be warned that this is not the place that it used to be, and may not be the quiet respite that you are looking for. I sincerely hope that management can take this constructive criticism and make things work, because it is a lovely property, but they must pick their audience and perhaps that audience is a different one than it was in the past.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
SerenaHotels, Manager at Sweetwaters Serena Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you for your feedback which we have read with a lot of interest and great concern. Indeed the camp is in a beautiful setting complimented with great standards of both product and service with an aim of meeting and exceeding guests expectations at every opportunity. Management takes this feedback seriously and be rest assured that this positive criticism will be accorded the attention it deserves. Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your continued patronage of Serena Hotels. Kind Regards.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

The sweetwaters property has the feel of a typical large resort, and if that is what one is looking for, this is the place. It has large buffets for each meal, and there are hundreds of tourists staying here. Frankly, the ol pejeta conservancy is not an island amongst urban areas, a very small conservancy, as well.
Overall, my experience here was a little underwhelming.

Room Tip: As close to the main building as possible. Some of the rooms can be quite far.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends