Mt Yasur Volcano Afternoon Guided Tour Tanna Island

Book in advance
from
$406.65
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Mount Yasur
from $406.65
More Info
All reviews once in a lifetime unity airlines few minutes wheel drive safety briefing white grass resort port resolution hot springs whitegrass resort lava rim ash sunset edge fireworks wow clouds
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 October 2019

This is an unmissable experience and the second time we've been there. The first time was 2011 in steady rain and cloud; this time dry and sunny so could see clearly and right into crater at top,with new infrastructure ie visitor welcome and education, handrails and steps. The experiences were so different they could have been different places. Which is to say given the weather differences, it's always going to be a bit of a lottery but worth it.

2  Thank Comfortlovinggal
Reviewed 23 October 2019 via mobile

I have long wanted to see a real erupting volcano and Tanna did the job!

The day trip was superbly organised from George the Air Taxi pilot to our land crew on Tanna who looked after us explaining every we wanted to know

As we left the summit there was a huge explosion and red hot lumps of rock thrown high in the air above us as the ground crumbled and banged in a mini eruption.

1  Thank Boatiesculler
Reviewed 20 October 2019

There are six active aerial volcanoes in Vanuatu. Yasur is by far the most accessible. We have seen the volcanoes on Ambrym and Ambae, but standing on the rim of Yasur was a very different experience from seeing a volcano at a distance or from an airplane. After riding most of the way up the mountain in a truck, we had to walk up a steep track for a couple of hundred meters or so to reach the rim. Then we were directed to the left. The rim has peaks and notches, so most of the walk around the rim is either going up or going down. The track is a couple of meters wide with steep drop-offs on both sides. The wind was very gusty. There were sections of guardrail on the inside edge in some places, but other sections had no rails at all. My wife elected to stay at a section with rails about a quarter of the way around the circle from our starting point. I would not trust the rails enough to lean on them, but they do provide a visual reference point to mark the edge of danger. I have never had much fear of heights, so I continued on with my seven-year-old daughter. The caldera is shaped like a big bowl with two holes at the bottom, like a lavatory with two drains. Occasionally red hot lava was thrown up out of the holes where it was visible (but never as high as the rim on the night we were there). My daughter and I walked around the rim to the highest peak, which was nearly opposite the starting point. From that peak we could look down into the larger of the two holes and see the lava lake inside. That was the best place to be, but after a few minutes my daughter wanted to go back to where her mommy was waiting. Once we reached that place, my daughter announced that she needed to go to the toilet. My wife wanted to stay where she was, so I spent half of the 90 minute time walking my daughter down to the outhouse at the parking lot where we started our walk. Then we walked back up for a few more minutes on the rim after dark. We met my wife again on the trip down. I think it was worth it. There are not many places in the world where you can get that close to an active volcano. It is not necessarily safe, but the risk seemed tolerable to me. The worst thing about it was all the ash that blew into my eyes. I am glad we did not spend the night near the volcano. We reached our accommodation on the other side of the island at 7:30 PM.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed 18 October 2019

Absolutely the best thing we did in Vanuatu. Amazing to experience an active volcano at such a close range. A bit disappointed the staff did not give us much information about the volcano, before and during the visit. Perhaps one guide with more knowledge of volcanos would make it more interesting.

2  Thank Ron and Lynne H
Reviewed 3 October 2019 via mobile

After a rough ride up to the volcano it became all worthwhile when the volcano started erupting. A once in a left time opportunity that I highly recommend

1  Thank KLW12_12