“Bucket list tick”

Ranked #5 of 19 Tours in Neiafu
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: WhaleSwim Adventures has been operating since 1999 guiding groups to swim with the humpback whales in Vava'u, Tonga and now in Moorea, Tahiti since 2016! We pride ourselves in providing top class accommodation and food, attention to details that makes our guests experience unforgettable and we provide the best experience possible each day in the water with the magnificent humpback whales of Vava'u! We have our own videographer aboard to record your holiday with us, can book a massage, a scuba dive and we assist with advising on other activities for you. Our tour packages are all inclusive - we take care of all the details from the time you arrive in Tahiti until your depart - you don't have to think - JUST RELAX! Our tours and service cannot be compared to anything else available in Tahiti!
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

This is an amazing experience and one you need to do! You are well looked after at Whaleswim Adventures! The guide (Claire) and the Beluga boat crew (Daity and Beyer) were amazing! Anna did a great job to organize it all for us to relax and enjoy the week on the water. You get so close and experience so much but you don't feel that you are intruding on the Whales. Get packing and ring Whaleswim today. You will not regret it!

Date of experience: July 2017
"heat run"
in 6 reviews
"an amazing experience"
in 5 reviews
"the tongan beach resort"
in 4 reviews
"mothers and calves"
"whale experience"
"finding whales"

Reviewed 30 June 2017

I did not end up booking this tour due to logistical complications. However, I went back and forth with Annah a number of times before ultimately deciding not to book and her customer service was absolutely excellent! If that is any indication of how the tour is run I can imagine that it would be wonderful! Will for sure be booking with these guys next year!

Date of experience: September 2016
6  Thank Whitney S
Reviewed 4 January 2017

Comfortable boat, excellent guides, friendly cooperating humpbacks and even good weather
Crews and guides were very respectful with the whales and very helpful with us
Even the lunch boxes were edible (or maybe we were famished by swiming)

Date of experience: September 2016
4  Thank linrojo
Reviewed 24 October 2016

A must experience! The staff were professional, friendly, knowledgeable, and most of all respectful of the whales. I definitely want to go again. I booked the Whales in Paradise Tour and the accommodations exceeded my expectations; especially the Mandala Resort which is eco-friendly and owned/managed by a great couple, Lisa and Ben. I saved up for one year for this trip and it was worth every penny.

Date of experience: October 2016
9  Thank dawnp0305
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 October 2016

I went whale watching in the US when I was 12 years old and was lucky enough to see a humpback whale and look right into her eye as she passed along the boat. From that moment on my dream was to swim with these beautiful mammals. After a long wait (15 years!) I was finally able to book myself on to a Whaleswim tour (after following their website for many years - impressed by their ethos and putting the welfare of the whales first). Annah (our wonderful, lovely, informative and generous guide) and the crew on our Blue sky boat (the great Pouli and Nisi) made my lifelong dream a reality! I can’t thank them enough!

Right from the start the whole adventure was great. Firstly, it was very easy to book and I received all the information I needed (thank you Lynda). Pick - ups and drop offs to and from airports and hotels were all taken care of, so I didn’t have to worry about a thing (thank you Craig). We had a lovely welcome dinner to get to know each other (up to 8 in a group) and the accommodation they booked us into was amazing (see Tongan Beach Resort and Mandala Resort).

The boat was very comfortable (space out on deck and inside- plenty of room for all, and a toilet on board). Great when you are spending 7 hours on there each day! We were given a freshly made packed lunch each day; every meal was delicious and so varied! (Looking at others in my group, people with food intolerances or vegetarians were very well catered for). Annah kept us in constant supply of lovely biscuits and fruit to snack on throughout the day as well.

Each day was spent searching for whales, and Annah, Pouli, Nisi and Andrew worked very hard to give us the best possible encounters, in good weather and in the rain! On one of our rainy days we actually had a spectacular encounter with a very friendly whale, which was one of the best moments of my life! We had some gorgeous swims with amazing mums, playful, curious calves and cautious escorts. We also had the honour of swimming with about 7 males who were engaged in a heat run. It could be the fastest I have ever swum! Absolutely incredible and did not expect I would ever get the opportunity to do that!

There are no words that can really do this experience justice. I just feel extremely privileged to have been allowed to swim with these beautiful mammals; that they allowed us into their world and that the Tongan government let us too. I would like to add that at the moment the activity of swimming with the whales does seem well governed and the whales’ welfare is of paramount importance. This was my main main concern about this trip before I came – I did not want to be part of anything that interfered negatively with the whales in any way. I needn’t have worried with Whaleswim however. Annah and Nisi were so great in the water with us, getting us close to the whales and then allowing them to make the decision if they wanted to come closer or not. Professional and showing so much care for the whales and the environment at all times. Only 4 people were allowed in the water at one time, and the time spent with the whale was monitored so that we did not go over the allowed time. We swam to the whales so the boat did not get too close to them and most often we were the only boat there (and there were never more than 2 boats around a whale at any one time). The other boats we saw along the way looked like they were giving the whales the same respect that we were. When something like this is done well, like it is with WhaleSwim (and from what I have seen, Tonga as a whole) it can be a sustainable venture that does not harm the whales and one that benefits the local people.

I was so impressed by this company that I have just booked to go with them to Sri Lanka in January – to possibly swim with blue and sperm whales! And as soon as I can I will be joining them for another adventure in Tonga – I am addicted to those beautiful whales :)

Date of experience: August 2016