Review Highlights
Trip of a Lifetime-Guides Claire & Henney & Captain Noah deliver numerous whale encounters!

Everyone on our boat had remarkable whale encounters all 7 days on the water with Whale Swim... read more

Reviewed 25 September 2018
Kris H
Bozeman
The Ashlee G and Crew were great!

We spent 4 days on the Ashlee G. Villi the skipper and William the whale guide were great. They... read more

Reviewed 25 August 2018
surfbabysurf
Sydney, Australia

All reviews humpback whales bucket list whale swim life changing experience heat run an amazing experience the tongan beach resort boat crew deep ocean day tour choppy water tour leader beautiful creatures fantastic job mothers and calves whale experience finding whales
Reviewed 17 September 2015

Whale swim Adventures really looked after us. The whole experience was just incredible. Thanks to all the crew, we didn't want to leave. It's a small group only 8 people , 4 in the water at any one time. We saw mothers & calf, & up to 4whales in a group at one time. You could hear the whale song, just amazing. We also swam on some amazing reefs as well. Would love to go back one day.
Thanks to all involved.

5  Thank StuJenelle
Reviewed 13 September 2015 via mobile

Trip of a lifetime! Can't recommend enough swimming with the beautiful humpbacks.

We did a custom short stay 4 night 3 day package and it was simply incredible! We left our booking quite late but Rae was still able to come through for us in organising fantastic whale swim operators and accommodation.

All the guides were respectful, gentle and very organised. We had so many great swims with whales (and dolphins!) and every day was different. We got to go with 2 different operators. Andrew, Langi and Vili were great on the Ashlee G. Andrew even does delicious home baking! And the whales in the wild crew were awesome too.

We also had great accommodation at mystic sands and the boathouse. Everything was clean, well equipped, in a beautiful setting and we felt so welcome everywhere we went.

Finally, all our pick ups and transfers were seamless. Every time someone said they would meet us somewhere they were there right on time and with a smile.

I understand organising things in Tonga, and in the busy season can be quite tricky, but having Rae do it for us made life really easy.

We will surely be back to swim with the whales again, it was a life changing experience.

Date of experience: September 2015
2  Thank Bridgeth1989
Reviewed 8 September 2015

We selected this company because of their environmentally responsible philosophy and their respect for the whales. The company has been around a long time. We selected a week long tour. Well-planned, with no issues. Accommodations were great, food was very good. Good guides, good boat. This was a fantastic adventure! Amazing whale encounters! Recommend that you be a strong swimmer and confident snorkeler for this trip.

2  Thank DAEsmae
Reviewed 6 September 2015

Could anything be more special. This was fabulous, great people, great fun and what a sight, what a sound. The boat crew that we had on the Ashlee G were so awesome (Lungy, Tilly, Carol, Andrew, Angie and Heidi). It was more than worth the cost of the holiday, I would pay and do it all again. FIVE fantastic days on the water, each day different than the one before, I could have stayed longer, there is so much to see.

The sea can be rough at times, so make sure you have plenty of sea sickness medication if you do tend to get sick, I also recommend sea sickness travel bands, I didn't wear them at first, and didn't feel so great, so I wore them for the rest of the trip and was fine. I wore them in and out of the water.

Read through Rae's trip bulletin - it is very useful! Follow her advice! Remember you need to bring your own gear, at first this surprised me, but I can see now the value in purchasing your own good quality gear, ensuring it fits you perfectly before you leave for your epic Tongan adventure.

When I got next time I would stay a few extra days on Vava'u to explore, there are other islands, snorkeling, kayaking, horse riding etc and you can't do these things on SUNDAYS which is the only day you have off as part of the tour. You should definitely try to go to a church service on the Sunday, they sure know how to harmonise!

There are a number of groups offering whale swimming in Tonga and Vava'u - but WhaleSwim Adventures assist you every step of the way. The booking and paperwork can be complicated before you go, but it is well worth it. We were met by our lovely taxi driver Ana at 2 am when we first arrived on the main island and taken to our accommodation. We were picked up by Ana for all our airport transfers, and she even took us on an island tour (approx $70 TOP per person + $10 TOP for anahulu caves) on the day of our domestic flight and dropped us somewhere for lunch while we waited for our international flight on the way home. This was incredibly convenient. I having the whole tour group (8 guests) stay together at Vava'u Villa was also really nice, we shared stories and footage throughout the week.

1  Thank StaPuts
Reviewed 25 August 2015

You can not begin to understand what it is like to see your life awaken your breathing change your heart fill up in a matter of a week until you do this.
This is the real deal Rae, Anna, Angie the guides the accommodations all of them Just incredible.
I caution you to be aware this is an adventure this is not a vacation. you may contend with some rustic matters some cell service lost some slow internet speeds. you may have flight complications but this is Tonga it is all apart of the adventure and its best to smile laugh and roll with it.
This is an incredible adventure.
The land the people the islands will cast a spell upon you and I assure you you will return again & again.
Whaleswim adventures will guide you every step of the way and you will feel completely cared for.
They are in the business of wow.
Please keep in mind these are wild mammals there will be slow days and days that will blow your mind.....
I suggest spending at least a week.
Allow this to happen let the whales come to you and you will see exactly what I am writing about.

It really can not be put into words to do so would cheat you of what will surely come your way.
enjoy relax and do this you will be so happy you did.

2  Thank David W