“Awful. Avoid. Staff very unpleasant to me and several others.”
Review of The Frigate

The Frigate
Ranked #18 of 24 Restaurants in Ullapool
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Terrible terrible experience here. The ‘gentleman’ working there was so so rude not just to me but to other customers too. Looking round, other patrons were really stoney faced at the awful atmosphere created by this man shouting and chastising customers. Some actually walked out. I only ate part of my food as I found a hair in it and after it took nearly an hour to arrive. If the staff here are unhappy in their job then perhaps they should look for a change and not take it out on visitors who just want a coffee, smile and perhaps a friendly chat. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. Not surprised at the other negative reviews on here at all.
Avoid at all costs. Poor food, terrible service.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (34)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Nice little restaurant on the harbour front with friendly staff and a varied menu. The food was pretty basic and all seemed to have just been put in an oven, which is absolutely fair enough for a much cheaper price! I felt this to be a little expensive for the quality of the food provided, and they seem to be capitalising off a lack of choice in the town. The whisky sauce with the burger was very delicious, but the rest of the meals were pretty average!

Reviewed 18 August 2021

Avoid if you value manners, warm coffee or reasonable service. Popped in for a takeaway coffee with 15 mins to spare before ferry. Order was taken and I was stood waiting for the drink at the bar (no receipt offered). Female bar staff stood opposite me on other side of the bar but was not making my drink or communicating with me at all. I was eventually then told to wait outside and they’d bring it to me. Once outside a tall young man slammed the door behind me (I though it must’ve been stiff). Obviously they were trying to close, no probs.

However, 10 mins later and ferry is now arriving and I still don’t have my coffee, so I try the door that I thought was just pulled shut. The young man appeared and I asked if it was ready as I had to go. He immediately appeared out another door with my drink and said “Yeah, it was ready when you tried to pull the door off its hinges. You saw me bolt the door, so…”. I didn’t wait to hear the rest as if I had I might’ve ended up losing more than just my coffee!

Coffee was luke warm and thimble-sized… quite disappointing for £2.50!
Service was S…L…O…W!
RUDE STAFF!

Reviewed 16 August 2021 via mobile

I had apple juice and chocolate fudge cake - it was tasty and a must! Definitely a must when you are in ullapool and want a snack.

Reviewed 2 August 2021

We were waiting to board our boat with Shearwater Cruises and thought we would pop in for some hot drinks while we waited. We found the service really disappointing and very slow. When our hot drinks did arrive my cappuccino wasn't very hot.
We watched two members of staff approach a table adjacent to us that needed clearing and neither of them actually cleared it completely or cleaned it down. There didn't seem to be anyone in charge and it all seemed a little chaotic.
Even when it came to paying we were left at the till for ages.Not a great example of hospitality especially if you want customers to return in the evening for dinner!

Date of visit: July 2021