Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
All reviews oysters pizza harbour room great idea dining room lovely hotel catch of the day small harbour other guests guest pantry afternoon tea cream tea biscuits pebble beach staff were brilliant sunday lunch interior design
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 September 2021 via mobile

Everything about the hotel ,from the welcome, the room and the food was all you could wish for.
The location overlooks a quiet harbour. There is no through traffic.
The harbour room was spotless as was the en suite bathroom. A shower cap would have been welcome.
Breakfast had limited cold choices. Dinner choices were excellent.

Date of stay: September 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2021

The room we stayed in was exceptional, it was, spotless, large and airy with a view over the harbour. The bathroom again was spotless with a brilliant shower combination.

The receptionist gave a very warm welcome and immediately made you feel that nothing would be too much trouble.

The only disappointment, which prevents me from giving it five stars, was the evening dinner. We both ordered the sea bass,. It was served reasonably well cooked with four new potatoes then a handful, and I mean a handful, of over-complicated and overdressed salad plonked on the plate without care or thought for the fish.

Apart from that super place, helpful staff, would recommend.

Room tip: Front second floor
Reviewed 31 August 2021

Weekend Dinner, Bed and breakfast break with my partner, beautiful peaceful location (just what we needed after a stressful job) good food however not enough choices for breakfast.
Room 10 where were in was rather small, most of our clothes that we can not hung we put on the floor, tea/ coffee making facility on the window sill!
Staff apart from one particular girl (with short black hair barely unable to get your order right) were amazing, friendly and will do that extra mile.
However what disappointed me was the attitude of this particular waitress, who obviously not fit for the job and we were surprised to see her the following morning.
As any hotel residents you would always asked the waitress - “excuse me could we please have so and so specially when she came back twice to ask our orders as she seemed to not be able to retain anything as we noticed that she did this to all that was there at the time of the incident. She seemed to have difficulty understanding plain English!!! Her reply to me was “I am busy and doing something” agreed she was at the time on her way back to the kitchen but that was not the reply I expected. She could have said - I will be back to see in a minute!
The worst part of it all was - in front of maybe 10 other residents who were at the time having breakfast - she later approached our table and told us that she was doing something and that she couldn’t come to us! with her raised voice, an arrogant attitude as if we owed her something!!!
Wow!!! in all my life of staying in hotels and BnB, I had never encountered such attitude nor felt humiliated and made to feel like a child, “ HOW DARE SHE? I tried to tell her not to make a big fuss about it and to go away but she carried on and people were looking at us. Glad I kept my cool as I could have easily shouted at her or hit her.
Such an embarrassing situation as it seemed she was NOT FIT TO DO THE JOB NOR UNABLE TO DO THE JOB WE AS RESIDENTS PAY FOR! (Yes I still very angry as I’ve never EXPERIENCED this)
Due to COVID and whilst I understand it has been difficult to employ people but surely a nice hotel such as Porlock Weir Hotel should at least be choosy to employ the right people to reflect the place.
I am surprised when I saw her again yesterday morning (30/08/21) because as a manager myself I would have immediately suspended or given her the sack!
Whilst we have enjoyed our stay this incident will never be forgotten.

1  Thank cb2209
Reviewed 31 August 2021

I booked this hotel for a three day trip as a surprise special birthday treat for my husband as we have not been away for two years due to the pandemic. Very disappointed on arrival in room 17 with how small the room is and the view which looked out onto the side pizzeria and bar. Added to this we then discovered over the next three days that our room smelt of the wood smoke from the pizza oven, so much so that having arrived home and opened the suitcase our clothes which had been hanging in the room still smelt of wood smoke and have all had to be washed. Others have commented on the small size of the classic room and I cannot believe we are the first to complain about the smell.There is only a hanging space for clothes, no wardrobe and no full mirror. It is unacceptable especially given the cost of the room. When we mentioned about the smell of the wood smoke on checkout we did receive half a nights room cost as a refund, however I would have preferred to have not had any issues to complain about. The staff are polite but the service was poor and for some meals we waited a long time for our order to be taken and then for the food to arrive. The food was average and to serve supermarket sliced bread at breakfast is awful. Surely there is a local baker who would be prepared to sell you a variety of different and tasty breads. For many of the meals we had at least one piece of crockery with a nasty chip in it. On a plus point the bed was extremely comfortable and the shower superb with plenty of hot water. The room was very clean. The setting of the hotel at the head of the weir is lovely, and we spent an enjoyable time each evening watching all the children excitedly crabbing. However your literature about the standards and service at the hotel did not meet up to our expectations , you are charging luxury prices but the reality does not match the cost of a stay at the Porlock Weir Hotel. I do not think this room should be used as a bedroom until the problem with the woodsmoke is resolved and and would advise anyone given room 17 not to accept it.

Room tip: Do not book room 17
Reviewed 29 August 2021

A lovely tranquil setting and a lovingly created hotel with beautiful decor and views.
The staff were friendly and always wanting to help.We thought a bit more training for the staff on the food and drink choices would have given an even higher score.
All in all a lovely stay,thank you.