All reviews shellfish floating bridge your luggage squat lobsters local inn very special place badachro inn unique location octopus adventurous type couple staying war memorial internet connection get away from it all an ideal place cabin curing
Reviewed 1 May 2018

It was years ago that I stayed on Dry Island- but it is a special and magical place. Ian is a lovely host and the island itself is a delight.
If you are looking for a truly extraordinary place chock full of beautiful vistas, I heartily recommend this island retreat.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank NoNoNannette
Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

Had a great time at the bothy, granddaughter loved every minute of our two night stay, marshmallows on the fire, wandering round island,meeting Dubh, i have been told by her that we have to return to this excact spot, thanks again for your hospitality

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Neil T
Reviewed 21 February 2018

Visited Dry Island for 5 nights from Feb 12th, there was a party of 4 adult plus 2 small dogs, 2 adults staying in the curing station and 2 staying Creel cabin. The accommodation is clean and has ample space for 2 people and is well equipped, there is a path down the hillside along the loch side until you come to the floating bridge which takes you across to the island. Ian will arrange with you prior to you visit and pick up your luggage and transport it by boat as it is quite a distance to carry your luggage. I can honestly say that we all had a wonderful stay the views were amazing, Ian was a great help and the people at the local pub friendly. It is an ideal place just to relax, however there are plenty of places and things to do nearby Mellon Udrigle Beach is worth a visit and the Torridon hills provide a good day out for those who like the exercise and thrill of hill walking. All in all a totally amazing holiday in a very special place, we will definitely be making a return trip.

Stayed: February 2018
2  Thank J0910
Reviewed 9 November 2017

This review is for the bothy and camping barrel. We did not do the shellfish safari.

First, the good stuff:

Dry Island is nicely out of the way but close to many places of interest; I like the idea of being on an island in a little cabin, and the nearby pub is absolutely brilliant for food, atmosphere, beer and location. The kitchen is equipped well enough with what you need, though there neither grill nor refrigerator (an icebox is provided). Sitting out on the porch at night is really relaxing and a very pleasant way to while away a late evening.

The not-so-good stuff:
(1) The bunk bed in the bothy is flimsy and really seems made for small children. My friend who is 6'5" and heavy, thus slept on the sofa, which we had understood was a sofa bed, but he could not see how to make it into a bed, so slept on it as just a sofa. If it was a couple staying in the barrel, and children staying in the bothy, that would probably work - but bring your linen! We had not noticed that line on the website.

(2) The WC is actually an enclosed privy/outhouse, up a hill from the bothy.

(3). The shower is also in an enclosed "privy style" plastic outhouse, adjacent to the bothy. It seemed to be only a cold-water shower (had one water input that one had to turn on at the outside), but I cannot be sure of this point as we had to vacate the next morning quickly (see later point).

(4) The camping barrel really is cute and cozy - but doesn't seem to be heated (that I could find), and it was pretty cold in October. Well insulated though, so it warmed up by body heat over time.

(6) My friend and I felt that, with the above points, the bothy/barrel is overpriced for what one gets. We would have been happy to pay about 45 or 50 pounds, but not 70. That is why we decided to leave after the first night and not stay the second night. This led to a heated argument with the owner in the morning, who demanded payment for both nights of the booking, but later agreed to just the one night charge. We were ordered to leave the island immediately (hence not knowing if the shower is actually cold water only). The quickly heated and aggressive response from the owner made for a somewhat negative experience.

In general, the place has the potential to be brilliant, but seems neglected, and seems like mostly used furniture and cooking things have been scraped together to form the bothy and the kitchen. the camping barrel seems newer, and is certainly cute and cozy for sleeping (when it's warm). After re-reading the reviews for Otter Cabin, I regret not being able to stay there, as mostly the reviews are great.

Room Tip: Try the cabins - the reviews there are good - but know what you are getting exactly with the bothy and barrel and plan / judge accordingly.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank CCattrall
www.dryisland.co.uk, Owner at Dry Island, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Thank you for your review.

I am surprised and disheartened by your comments as we have had a number of very positive reviews. The not good stuff:

1: The bunk bed is indeed for children, that is why there is an high quality sofa bed. You could not see how to make it into a sofa bed because you both came back from the pub drunk. To be fair, though, my eight year old daughter sometimes struggles with the mechanism and has to get her ten year old daughter sister to help! But bring your own linen. You got a set of linen, as the camping barrel was made up for you. Did you expect another set of linen free of charge for your friend? On the phone you told me it was not a problem and your friend would bring a sleeping bag. I guess he must have forgotten it on the way back from the pub.

2: Yes you have your own toilet just for the use of the bothy/barrel. It is a ten metre walk from the bothy.This is unlike most wigwam glamping parks where it is shared use along with shared shower and cooking facilities. You would also be expected to walk a lot further for these shared facilities.

3: The shower does in fact have a heater.

4: The camping barrel does in fact have a heater.

5: ?

6: You state you would have been happy to pay £45 or £50. That is £22.50 or £25 per night each. Realistically, you could not get a shared dorm with communal eating, cooking, showers and toilets. What you got was an individual cabin with private cooking facilities, shower and WC on an island and also a television, radio and complimentary high speed wi-fi.

I would like to add some further important details which you have left out.

The night before you booked a boat trip for the next morning at 10 am. At 9.55, with the rest of the guests waiting to leave for their boat trip, I went up to the Bothy to see what was keeping you.

I found you in the kitchen starting to cook your breakfast. I asked you what you were doing as you were booked in for a boat trip. You said you were not coming as you "wanted to get up the hills early". You also said that you had decided not to stay another night. I pointed out, not unreasonably, that you should pay for the other night you had booked. Plus the boat trip you had booked. This is normal etiquette. If you book something then don't do it, you should pay for it. But as you had decided not to stay and it was now after 10 am, check out time, I said it was fine but you will have to leave now. I apologize if my tone came across as "aggressive" but please do not confuse aggression with my urgency to return to my waiting, and well behaving guests. You seemed to think it was all right to stay after check in time and have a long breakfast which seemed to be somewhat at odds with "wanting to get out on the hills early" comment. You left without paying for the boat trip and second night's accommodation. You also left a messy kitchen including wax melted all over the dining table.

Finally if you had chosen Otter Cabin, it has one double sized bed, so where would your "large friend" sleep? In the shower or on top of the microwave perhaps?

Reviewed 31 October 2017

So, prior to booking our one night stay on Dry Island, we read many reviews (good and bad), but knew what to expect as much as we could.
We arrived at the allocated parking space about 3.15pm and made our way down the path, to the bridge and onto Islonia! We never had our passports, but cleared customs none the less!
We knocked on the door to the house and were met by King Ian, who gave us a warm welcome and even offered us an upgrade to the Curing Station, however being the adventurous type, decided to go with our original booking of the Bothy. King Ian showed us our accommodation, including the outdoor shower and toilet, we knew to expect and were very happy with our home for the night.
The Bothy had a double sofa bed, bunk bed, TV, Wifi, books and DVD's! The gas heater was a welcome necessity in the month of October and we were cosy (enough).
Now, if like us you do your research, you will note the toilet is a converted portaloo and the shower, very similar, however, both are easy to access and clean, baring in mind they are located in a wooded area and yes, spiders also have access to use the facilities, but they won't cause you any harm. The shower and toilet are not heated for obvious reasons, but if you know that from the start, you will arrive prepared.
The kitchen had everything we needed for a night away, a kettle, a place to brush our teeth and even coffee and sugar provided.
Just a short walk from Dry Island, you will find, Badachro Inn, where we had our evening meal and a few light beverages! The food was outstanding and very reasonably priced, considering the location.
There is plenty to do in the area of Badachro and one of our highlights was visiting the Fairy Lochs and USAAF Liberator war memorial, just bring decent walking boots and a spare pair of socks.
We had a fantastic time on Dry Island, felt very welcome and would happily return for another visit!

Room Tip: Bothy and Pod
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple