Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
US$174
US$170
Hotels.com
2,769 results
All reviewslinden tree restaurantold housecoach housegolf clubbeautiful hotelkitchen barbeautiful groundsthe main housespa treatmentsrelaxing breaktop classmain restaurantspecial occasionleisure centreone night stayafternoon teaenjoyable stay
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Nice hostal very clean probably de cleanest I ever been.
BUT
Restaurant
Food ,bad you could not tell how bad
And so expensive for what you get
They know it is nothing around where. To go so they charge
For those prices you have to have a decent chef and much better quality of food
For god sake meat in Ireland are so good but I don’t know where you buy for the restaurant
Come back to stay not to eat.
Best regards

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Rafael P
Carton H, General Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Our luxurious property offers several dining options in various cuisine styles meant to fit every taste. We are extremely disappointed we could not excite you during your recent visit, but with so many options, we are certain we might be able to do so in the future. Your comments will be used to help us learn and improve as we always strive to have our guests leave nothing short of happy and delighted, whether it be for a getaway or just a meal. We hope to have the opportunity to leave a better impression on you in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Booked 2 nights as had really important paperwork to complete and couldn't do so at home with children around.
Arrive the first evening. Had brought lots of files, my printer etc with me and had to bring all up to my room myself. Took 3 trips. So bad start.
Reception staff I felt were quite condescending and stuffy. Thought I'd chill for the first evening, have some food, bath etc and get into the paperwork the following day.
Dinner menu wasn't great and I thought rather expensive so looked at ordering to the room. The room menu didn't look much better. Ended up calling De Mario's in Celbridge and ordering food for collection. Popped into my car and did so. I was fortunate that I'm familiar with the area so knew of the existence of De Mario's, otherwise, I would have been pretty hungry.
Ordered breakfast to the room for the following morning. Tray looked really impressive until I started uncovering the hotplate. Disgusting is all I can say. Fry was rubbery and cold.
Discovered I had forgotten the lead for the printer to the laptop. Asked at reception and they couldn't provide one. They suggested I drive to Tesco in Maynooth to purchase one....surprised at this as they advertise to business clients...anyway took their advice and drove to Maynooth...they didn't have a lead.
Couldn't believe the staff were so unhelpful.
Returned to hotel, couldn't print anything. Organised paperwork that I had brought, rang De Mario's, collected take away ....
Following morning had ordered porridge instead of fry.....unreal!!! Like a bowl of cement. Took a sugar sachet from the bowl, they all came out, stuck together at the bottom with mould on all of them.
Promptly gathered my possessions, took 3 trips to reload my car, booked 2 nights in The Ballygarry House Hotel in Tralee ( my sister lives there), and drove like a bat out of hell to Kerry.
Will never ever grace that place with my presence. Think they are more concerned with the Irish Rugby players being there than any other clients and that's gone to their heads. Spend your money elsewhere. 5* ?????? Absolutely not.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank searannicuidhir

It’s disheartening to know we did not offer you proper assistance when it mattered the most. Know that we are committed to ensuring every stay with us is absolutely wonderful and will learn from your notes. We apologize we fell short of our high standards and hope we can regain your trust in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have just returned from a stay in Carton. I had high expectations but unfortunately these were not met. Check in was fast & efficient. The hotel is very big and a bit of a maze in trying to find your way around with poor signage. Our room was a good 5/6 min walk from reception. The room itself was grand, nothing fancy. Standard dbl room. They are marketing this hotel as a spa destination and a relaxing break. It is anything but! There are no robes & slippers in the room, which was probably the 1st hint that there is nothing special awaiting you, so you have to go down in your clothes and bring your own flip-flops etc. I asked for slippers down there but they were not available. The "spa" is just a really busy pool full of kids splashing around, a small busy jacuzzi and fairly unimpressive sauna & steam room. Its all very basic and nothing luxurious or relaxing about it. Children gone after 7 but there is nowhere relaxing to chill out and it was just a massive disappointment, as were the changing areas.
Dining was also very disappointing. We went down to the bar in the evening, they wanted €11 for a glass of house white wine!! Double checked this with the server and got a receipt, we cut our losses and went down to Maynooth for a lovely atmosphere and much better value. I've no problem with paying 11e for a nice glass of wine but the house wine should not cost this amount, they don't even charge that in the Adare Manor!
Breakfast wasn't much better. We ordered poached eggs, they took nearly 25 mins to arrive, I wouldn't mind but the dining room was very quiet so it wasn't an issue with it being a busy time. Selection overall was good, but service very slow with coffees which arrived with the coffee spilled all over the saucer.
On the upside the grounds and old house are beautiful with gorgeous walks and it is very clean throughout the hotel.
I normally would air my grievances through a comment card or pass it on to a manager but there was no sign of either throughout our stay. Overall a very disappointing stay and we will unlikely return.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rcallagh
Carton H, General Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

It is always wonderful to see a guest enjoy our property and rich history. Unfortunately, we did not meet our high standards of service and are sorry to see you left disappointed. Thank you for your feedback, we wish to have the opportunity to earn back your trust in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

- arrive in tiny room TV not working and mini-bar empty.
- room interior from 1990’s and ragged.
- beds old with damaged springs (room 270)
- took 30 minutes to get served in lounge beside Kitchen Bar. Then it got busy and no one was being served. Staff rude and disinterested, trying not to make eye contact with annoyed customers.
- breakfast cold, a mug full of milk for the coffee, one butter portion to cover 2 Irish breakfasts, served with mayonnaise and a pile of congealed fatty bacon.
- kettle and uht milk for in room coffee

- the grounds are very nice and the golf courses are good.

Now for day 2, wish us luck.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hugo D

We hope to have had the chance to better your experience during your stay, as we wish for all of our guests to leave happy and satisfied. Your feedback is helpful as we look to renew our commitment to having every guest love their time with us. We aim to better every minute of your present and future visits.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Spent two days here with a friend, right from the start the staff where brilliant,friendly and helpful,we ate one night in the Linden Tree,the food was outstanding, my crab starter was excellent, I would also recommend the Sheelin beef, the second night we ate in the Kitchen Bar again excellent food,all in all a great couple of days

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple

We’re so pleased you found that the Linden Tree and The Kitchen provided just the delights you needed, adding a special touch to your stay. Both with unique characteristics, which so wonderfully impressed you that they earned the high compliment of your recommendation. Thank you for your kind praise and for letting us serve as you at the Carton House Hotel during your midweek getaway destination. We hope to see you return once more!