“Mr”
other travellers have booked this property
Entrance to Casa Wenche Kitchen
Sitting room
Flower and volcano
Garden
Main bedroom
Main entrance to the property
Stunning gardens part 2
Bananas grow all over the property
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
themajori...
“Mr”
Reviewed 13 November 2015 for a stay in November 2015
person found this review helpful

Absolute Paradise! We stayed 7 nights in Casa Wenche and left wanting 7 more! We will definitely come back to Santa Cruz or to one of the many surrounding communities. Brush up on your Spanish if you plan to spend time in the many cities shopping without a guided tour.

Nereida
California
“Ridiculously Beautiful Beyond Words”
Reviewed 4 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

From the moment that I made my first inquiry about the property to the moment we checked in, everything was flawless. Deedle, the property manager, answered my emails in a timely manner, and even made the necessary arrangements for private transportation from Antigua to Lake Atitlan, and a lancha to their private dock. My friend suffered a fall two months ago, and is in a wheelchair, which made me think long and hard about continuing with our plans to stay in the villa due to all the stone steps that lead to the house. My friend was very determined to go and not ruin the trip for the rest of us.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a whole crew of men waiting for us at the dock to help with our belongings and the daunting task of helping my friend up the stairs...with wheelchair and all. It was a hike up, but boy was it all worth it! The house sits atop a hill with a spectacular unobstructive view of the volcanoes, the lake and surrounding areas.

Ramos, the property caretaker, was at hand for whatever we needed, and I have never met someone has humble, and polite as this man. He is a true, true asset to the property. He would bring us fresh tortillas every morning, and even gave us bananas from their own banana trees. We had a spectacular downpour as soon as we checked in and I was loving every minute of it.

The house is very spacious with an open floor plan, and I couldn't find any faults with the house even if I tried. What my friends and I loved most about the house was the veranda where we had all of our meals and spent the better half of our days. The bathroom decor is very interesting being that it seems to be all stone, including the shower, which, ooh, has such great water pressure. Beautiful details abound. Although the estate has more houses, one is a three-floor house with its own private pool, I believe that our house has the best view of all the houses in the estate.

There is a nice pool accessible to the guests staying at the estate and my friends (including the one in the wheelchair), made good use of it. It was a beautiful walk down to the pool with its beautiful pool house, and every stone step, every plant, every corner, everything about this place exudes beauty, tranquility, and an overall sense of well being. The house has no TV but has great, strong WiFi.

The kitchen has everything you would need to cook up a storm, but it doesn't have a microwave. There are two ladies that come twice a week to do the light cleaning and washing dishes, which really surprised me. I was taken a nap when they came, and was told about them after I woke up. We tried our best to keep the house as clean as possible, and made sure that the dishes were washed and put away before checking out.

Please avoid if you or any of the guests staying have mobility issues. This is not recommended for those who can't walk up stairs...or in my friend's case, confined to a wheelchair. Do so at your own risk.

On check out day, Ramos was once again at hand with his crew to help us down to the dock, and called the driver to confirm our pick up. We spent 3 wonderful days in paradise, and I will return...some day I will return.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The veranda
Liked least: The hike up
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
HSF6242
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Beautiful property with magnificent views”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

We were told that this house was not for the handicapped or elderly because of the location up the hillside. On arrival, the task of getting suitcases up to the room, seemed daunting, but then Ramos appeared! This wonderful man carried my overladen bag all the way up and when we worried about getting food for the morning, he offered to go shopping for us. Ramos also suggested that his daughter, who had learned English and was also a chef, could come to our house and fix dinner. We had a delicious dinner the next night which Claudia purchased, cooked and served with the help of Minga. We sat on the veranda looking out at the volcanoes across the Lake while enjoying a delicious meal; extraordinary! Most impressive is that Claudia is only 17 years old!
We enjoyed other meals and conversations when we visited La Iguana Perdida. David and Davinia are truly warm and social and have created a very relaxed environment where vacationers are welcomed to gather and share experiences. We all would have liked to stay on a while!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The view; the ambiance, lots of hot water with good pressure and food
Liked least: the hike, though good for us, was slightly daunting for me at age 74. It was part of the adventure
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Idaho. USA
Reviewed 14 February 2014 for a stay in January 2014

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers Rugged travelers
Travel2Pl...
New York City, New York
“Doesn't get more Beautiful”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 for a stay in October 2013
people found this review helpful

I stayed here for a month in October as part of an extended stay working in the community of Santa Cruz. The land, its views, and everything about the property is almost unreal in its beauty. Sunrises on the porch never got old, and neither did the sunsets. The grounds took me days to explore fully, and I still don't think I saw the whole property. There are banana trees, lime trees, avocado trees, other fruits I couldn't even identify, patios, coy ponds, gazebos, hummingbirds, endless beautiful flowers...it just goes on and on. And Ramos, the caretaker of the property, is so sweet and receptive to anything you may need. It should really be a no brainer to stay here. The value for what you get is unparalleled. All I can say is, enjoy!

Travelling group: Solo
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing