“Cute but lacking”

English Garden Tea Room and Bistro
Ranked #76 of 240 Restaurants in Prescott
Price range: US$9 - US$25
Description: Traditional American and English Breakfasts, breakfast sandwiches, pancakes. Delicious salads, sandwiches and quiches. High Tea by reservation. Dinner selections include Shepherd's Pie, Bangers and Mash and Turkey Pot Pie.
Reviewed 4 February 2018

This is a great idea but this business is not managed very well and the employees need more training. The service here is pretty slow although the last 2 times there was only one more group being waited on. The food varies in quality. The last time the bread was kinda stale and crumbly with the cucumbers being wrinkled and old. However, the food was quite decent on other occasions. Truly a hit or miss food wise. The high tea here is a nice experience but the food is overall expensive although it varies in quality.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for a breakfast place, think of visiting this place. The name was changed to Kensington but it’s under the same ownership. The menu has some authentic British items including teas. My traditional English breakfast was amazing! Fresh ingredients and excellent preparation. They serve High Tea from 2-4. The decor and service were great. Tea is served in traditional British chinaware. It’s rare to come across a traditional tea house in US and this one is really good.

Reviewed 19 June 2017

Very cute inside. Lacking on hostess greeting and very slow service. The menu was nice, but the bread on the sandwiches we ordered was dry, almost stale. We had to ask for additional water. We did receive an apology when our server realized our sandwiches were taking way too long. Something about the kitchen being backed up. There were only three other tables with customers...all being two tops. Unfortunately, the bistro part of this restaurant is lacking.

Gidgette M, Owner at English Garden Tea Room and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Thank you for your visit. I sincerely apologize that your visit was not what you expected. With summer here and all of our college students going back home, we are in the process of training new staff. I can assure you that all of our bread is delivered fresh, several times a week. If you would let me know the date and time of your visit, I can look into the matter to make sure it is not repeated. I hope you give us another opportunity to meet your expectations. Have a great day!

Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

The food was excellent, though not worth what we paid for it. The caprese app was good, but the mozzarella was cheap block stuff, not mozzarella fresca. The shepherds pie was HUGE, but overly spiced. Cinnamon or nutmeg or some sort of spice was overpowering. The stuffed pepper was perfect and delicious! The broccoli cheese soup almost had a gel-like consistency. Perhaps from a can??? I love the tea and the beautiful place settings. It's a bit of a juxtaposition, though, having a tea room with dainty decor next to a modern-looking sitting area with new alternative playing on the radio. I'd go again. In fact, this is my second visit. It's just not a "typical" tea room.

Gidgette M, Owner at English Garden Tea Room and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2017

Hi Emily, Thanks for your second visit. We did have a problem with slow service yesterday, and for that I apologize. We have several new employees who are just learning the procedures. Hopefully, that will pick up in the next couple of weeks. Just so you know, the mozzarella that comes on the caprese is not the "cheap block stuff". It is cut off a large ball into slices before putting it on the caprese. Our broccoli cheddar soup is actually made fresh each morning. Glad you enjoyed our decor; it is by design. As you mentioned, we are not a "typical" tea room....our customers range from professional business men and women who enjoy drinks and appetizers in our lounge, to ladies' groups who enjoy our place settings, to younger college students who spend time studying in a comfortable atmosphere. Thanks again for your visit!

Reviewed 14 May 2017

What a fun place to go with the galfriends! They are a wee bit slow sometimes but worth the wait. I recently went to a "tea" put on by Classy-n-Sassy next door and the food was really quite good. I have also been there for just a regular lunch and they have a grilled cheese that was wonderful - I think it was called "Not Your Mama's Grilled Cheese" or something like that.