“Best Hamburger I Have Ever Had”
Review of Gertrude's

Gertrude's
Reserve with OpenTable
Gertrude's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 3,456 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 31 December 2017

I took some friends from out of town to the Desert Botanical Gardnes and afterwards we had lunch at Gertrudes. All the food was great and one of my friends said the hamburger was the best she had ever eaten.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

This restaurant is in the fantastic Botanical Gardens of Phoenix. It was a beautiful December day and lunch outside was a treat. The staff was friendly and efficient. The menu was trendy but overpriced. The green chili hummus was tasty but had no green chili. Their burger was very good but should be for $18. It's an attractive setting but bring a fat wallet.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

A different and somewhat unique if not quirky menu. My wife and I split a large hearts of palm salad which was quite good. We each avoided the quirky items and went for the hamburgers with fingerling potatoes. We should have split one. We shared the freshly made (I think to order) served with two berry and one chocolate sauces.
Service was good but spotty due to ourcwaitress having too many tables. Staff were pleasant and seemed well trained. There is a very large patio for dining outside.

1  Thank CMoss13
Reviewed 28 December 2017

Having just returned from a long stint in Afghanistan, I was excited to take my wife, brother and sister in-law to the Desert Botanical Garden Luminarias festival (a yearly favorite for or family). Unfortunately, on December 26, 2017 at approx. 6pm our first stop was at Gertrude’s.

The hostess advised they had only one available table, but that it did not have a heater. We had no problem with that since there were many heaters in the patio spaced about 10-12 feet apart.

As we were being seated, the closest heater was being tended to by two staff. One of them was walking away with a gas tank. It seemed like they had just changed tanks, but no staff ever returned to re-light the heater.

After placing our order, we asked the waitress Kristen if she could have someone turn it on. Suddenly, a skinny Shaggy-looking guy stormed our table pompously identifying himself as “The Manager” (he was later identified as “Josh” by another staff). Immediately upon arrival, he began berating our ladies saying “My hostess told you this table didn’t have a heater…We are NOT moving the heater!” Our ladies tried explaining to “Josh” that we had not asked for the heater to be moved, just re-lit. “Josh” wouldn’t have it, he kept insisting he would not MOVE the heater (which no one had asked him to do). Tired of his argumentative tone with our wives, I told “Josh” to just light the frigging heater and do his job. “Josh” didn’t take kindly to this and preceded to light the heater while mumbling something under his breath. Once the heater was lit, “Josh” made one final brief stop at our table to for the third time say “I’m not moving the heater” and quickly shuffled away like a bullied child.

About two minutes later, the same staff guy who had carried away to empty gas container at first, casually walked by pretending to tidy up some chairs and sneakily reached up and turned the heater off again. I saw him do it! Had I not been looking in that direction he would’ve succeeded in his “secret mission” of turning off the heater. But luck and sneakiness were not on his side and I busted him. As soon as he turned off the heater, he too quickly left the area. It was like watching some “12 year-olds” in the playground.

The sad part is that a few minutes later, an Asian couple showed up with an infant and sat at that cold table with the heater turned off. The husband kept looking at the cold heater seemingly puzzled by why his was the only heater not on. The couple had to shuffle their baby between themselves trying to keep him warm. For several minutes there they sat in the cold. Finally, “Josh” and his sidekick must’ve gotten tired of their play-ground game and someone came to turn the heater on. Amazingly, undisturbed the heater stayed on with no problem.

“Josh” has no business being a manager…He is unprofessional, childish, is needlessly argumentative, doesn’t listen, and most importantly, a petty person.

Just to wrap it up, no…the food did not make up for the unpleasantness…Extremely over-priced and horrible. The vegan tomato soup was merely tomato paste with oil. The bread was stale and appeared to have been re-toasted to conceal that. The artichoke dish must’ve come out of a can. The beat salad was okay, but not for the exorbitant price.

Do yourself, and more importantly your guests, a favor and avoid Gertrude as a dining spot.

2  Thank Sean O
Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is located in the botanical garden and it is a great restaurant in its own right. Lots of parking is readily available. Service was great and so was the food. They also have a full bar. By the looks of it is a very popular restaurant not just for those visiting the garden but for locals that come specifically for the restaurant. It appears that the garden and the restaurant are used for private functions as we’ve seen the day we visited

Worth a visit if you are in the area