“Tarbell’s Triumph ”
Review of Tarbell's

Tarbell's
Reserve with OpenTable
Tarbell's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 3,412 Restaurants in Phoenix
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Camelback East
Cross street: 32nd Street
Transit: Just outside the parking lot, on Camelback Road.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

This was the highlight of our eating experience in Phoenix/Scottsdale.

We had eaten here a number of years ago with our kids. Our flight was late, our luggage was late, hotel check in was slow. I had to call Tarbell’s three times to change the time of the dinner reservation. When we arrived the restaurant staff, instead of being annoyed, greeted us by name and made us feel so welcome that the earlier problems of the day disappeared...Oh, and the food was great. I promised myself that when we got back to Phoenix this would be our first stop. The kids are now grown and on their own but my wife and I were able to keep that promise and thus the review below.

The soup of the day was broccolini and white cheddar (you can ask for a little taste before ordering). It was smooth and sumptuous. The appetizers of Tuna Tartare and Venison Carpaccio were fantastic. The Tuna Tartare was served with cucumber mignonette, tomato water, cilantro, crispy capers, and lime oil. The Carpaccio came with baby Arugula and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese shaving. The balance of ingredients in both dishes was mouth watering. Our main courses were the Halibut, seared with a crispy top, served over a Risotto (could have made a meal of just the Risotto) and the peppered N Y strip steak came with Au Gratin Potatoes (best ever) and creamed spinach. We could not eat another bite...until we discovered that Profiteroles with Vanilla Gelato centers were on the dessert menu. It never hurts when service is provided by an attractive and gracious server, Jacqueline our thanks and to the restaurant I again promise that you will be my first stop on my next trip to Phoenix.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

Fine dining, excellent personal chef's dishes, notable wine list, martinis, & team
service equalize an enjoyable evening for multiple years.
Important to reserve. Popular restaurant, dining Vally destination.

Reviewed 10 April 2018

We live just a mile or two away and this gem is regularly on our short list of "where should we go tonight...?"

Mark Tarbell, an Iron Chef winner, guitar player and all around spectacular human has made a place where we are comfortable just sitting with Mikey or Nicole at the bar (ask for Ed Purkiss' basil cosmo martini) or a quiet dinner at a table just-the-two-of-us, or bringing clients and employees to sit in the private room.

Service is alway top notch, appropriate and timely. But it's important to note that, although service and food are that good, it's neither stuffy or pretentious. There's always a warm and welcoming feeling, people smile naturally and comfortably, and even if we've never met a server, it feels as though they are a friend immediately.

As mentioned by other reviewers, there's both a Things That Change With The Seasons part of the menu and Things That Never Change part. You'll find lovely all-veggie dishes, incredible steaks, and an OMG THAT'S GOOD carpaccio. I've often had just the carpaccio as my entire dinner.

Ask for a split - half & half - of the traditional spaghetti and ribbon pasta dishes. Absolutely superb.

Tarbell's always gets my top recommendation.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

I have been to Tarbell's several times over the years, and we keep trying it hoping to have a better experience. Unfortunately, there is nothing inspiring about Tarbell's. It is a busy place but I do not get it. In any event, John Alban of Alban Vineyards sent his mailing list an email announcing a Winemakers dinner featuring his wines. I have been a list member for quite sometime and I was excited to attend it despite the fact that the dinner was at Tarbell's. The meal started with hope as the first three dishes were better than we expected. The pairings of the Viognier, Chardonnay and the Pinot were also pretty good, despite the Pinot and Chardonnay being just ok. Then we moved to the meat and heavy Reds, and though the wines improved, the meal fell flat on its face. The meat dishes lacked creativity and flavor, not to mention tough as well. The meal in the end came up short again and we are likely not to return. To make matters worse, we were excited to meet John Alban as we had been list members of his since at least the 2004 vintage, and not once did he come by to say hello. This dinner was a complete bust and would not recommend the restaurant nor an Alban Winemakers Dinner. Of the 4 of us who went, none would return. I am sure you can get a good meal but for the money, there are better places. Further, given that Arizona is not a BYOB state, if you want a GREAT MEAL and be able to bring your own bottle of wine instead of paying exorbitant wine list prices, I would recommend ATLAS BISTRO!!! Awesome fine dining food and a BYOB to boot!

1  Thank Beemer87
Reviewed 27 March 2018

This was an amazing meal the selection of food it was hard to chose, we were a party of 4 no one was disappointed our waiter was very knowledgeable and very easy to make small talk with, the desserts are with getting, this is a great location for a celebration