“Mesquite chargrill flavor is the best”
Review of Backyard Taco

Backyard Taco
Ranked #24 of 1,077 Restaurants in Mesa
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 13 April 2018

I visit the Phoenix area a lot on business and to watch spring training baseball. We found this place on Tripadvisor with high reveiws, and they are right. This place prepares traditional Mexican street corner taco meals. They use a mesquite chargrill for the meat that adds a great flavor. We tried other taco places in Phoenix, and they fail. Another well known taco-burrito place with locations all over the valley cooks their meat on a flat greasy grill similar to what pancakes are made. Backyard Taco uses a real fire mesquite charcoal grill, and the food is very authentic. I read on their website they originate from Mazatlan, Mexico. I have been to Mazatlan several times, and I have to say they improved on that style a lot b/c I never had a gordita in Mazatlan as good as Backyard Taco makes them. They also have a salsa bar to load up on pickled onions, and different salsas. If you want tacos, gorditas, and burritos, this is the place. Free drink refills too. If I had anything to knock the place on, I would say the cashier needs to learn how to speak up in when communicating about your order. With the music and everything it was kind of annoying not being able to hear what the cashier had to say, and she made no effort to speak up, just kept repeating the same thing in a low tone of voice when asked what she was saying? At first I thought she was doing it to be funny, speaking real low and watching my reaction, but IMO she was just being lazy and incompetent. A few minutes later it became a real issue when the grill staff were calling out our number and we had no idea we were even given a number. Okay, that was just a personal experience maybe yours will be different. The good news is the food is excellent in the category of traditional Mexico style taco shops. The restaurant is clean, had plenty of seats, and an outdoor patio area.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Found this great place by mistake while driving around.

The tacos were very good, I tried one of each type and truly enjoyed the variety, the Asada was perfect. Staff was proficient in pumping out tacos and burritos. A awesome salsa bar was great surprise

Only Issue, they had one order taker who was also answering the phone and taking pick up orders, during the lunch rush it really slowed down our line, they made up for it by having so many in the kitchen our food was fast.

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

The shredded Taco that I ordered was burnt and I was disappointed after many people said it rated very highly. I will try again on Taco Tuesday when they are way cheaper.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Stop in here on the way down the road and thought we'd give it a try. Very bare bones, and I don't recall if they offer more than tacos. But boy are the tacos good. They are small tacos, so 2-3 is a start. Lots of salsas to top them off with, variety of meats available.

What strikes one upon entering is rotating baking/cooking racks behind the counter. As I recall they are about 5-6' wide, 1-2' deep and the meats cook over charcoals. Hard to describe it, but it is impressive and sure smells good and looks good.

I'll go back for the great tacos, and get more specifics next time.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

There were 6 of us so seating was a challenge especially since the line was out the door. We ordered 2 family packs and finally found two tables together just as we got our food. The food was great but the salsa bar needed some work to make it better.