See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

The Colonade has recently renovated their rooms. With brand new beds & bed spreads, new flooring, new draperies with new cornices, and new chairs, the rest is old and should have been replaced as well.
Upon arrival, I was a bit concerned with the number of loiters I observed but later learned they're full-time residents. Nonetheless, being watched by so many was disconcerting. I was pleasantly surprised to see the room had recently been remodeled. I sat my sandwich down on the kitchenette counter and was thoroughly disgusted by the cockroaches swarming on it less than a few minutes later. In my haste to rid myself of this plight I spilled my cranberry drink. I grabbed the only wash cloth in the room to clean up what should have been only red. Imagine my further disgust when the once white cloth was now black!! I was too weary to argue with management about the roaches and the utterly filthy floors so I used the same cloth to mop the entire room. I stopped counting after 10 rinses. The single bath towel looked just as another review stated, "a mechanic's rag."
The next day, I was awoken from my midday nap by Mesa Police pounding on my door demanding I exit the room with my hands up. They were calling me "Claudia." I opened the door to tell them that isn't my name to which they demanded to know who else was in my room. The truth didn't appease them so I closed and dead bolted the door and called the front desk clerk. The front desk clerk made the police leave immediately and called me back to reassure me they were gone. I know Mesa police makes all motels submit the names and IDs of all guests to them in a nightly basis. The way MPD mishandled me I now understand why so many motels have kicked in doors!
It's a shame The Colonade is plagued with such a bad rap. With a little more renovations to eliminate the roach problem, maybe enforce a no loitering rule for its long term residents, and demand better behavior from the local police this could be a much better motel for travelers to use. As it stands now, I wouldn't recommend staying unless nothing else is available. The management are wonderful, kind people. Maybe too kind!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank VintageExplorer
Reviewed 16 March 2015

We were returning to Mesa for our flight home and literally could not find a room in Mesa, Gilbert or Chandler...then we found the Colonade Motel (que the scary music). My wife ran in to see if they had a vacancy and, not surprisingly, they did. We checked in and paid the almost $100 dollars. My first indication of this "motel hellishness" was the people congregating in little groups around back. We unloaded the luggage and brought it up to our room. I fit the actual key in the lock and it looked like the door had been booted in several times. Upon entry we found a dingy. ill lit "efficiency" room with a living room, kitchen, bedroom and bath. I locked the door and slid a chair under the door knob (which my wife giggled at and said she was thinking of doing the same thing). I tried turning on the air conditioner to get a little coolness in the stuffy room. It didn't seem to work well so I thought about turning on the ceiling fan above the bed. None of the light switches on the wall worked for this task so I stood on the bed and pulled the chain, a loud crackle and sparks surround the fan fixture, I panicked and pulled the chain again and it broke off.....thank god that the fan went off....so did I, fell off the bed. My wife was laughing so hard she couldn't talk. We decided we needed something to eat, so my wife looked for a spot to hide the luggage and we snuck back to the car to make sure no one saw us leave. We were back with some Craivins doughnuts quickly (those are great doughnuts by the way, I would recommend them). Once back in the room, door wedged with chair, curtains closed tightly, ceiling fan OFF, we decided to get in bed. I removed the bed spread, there appeared to be a large blood stain on it....or else they were painting something red...but I didn't notice any red highlights in the room. The sheets and pillow cases did smell clean though (thus the 1 star)! The towels in the bathrooms looked like someone used them to work on a car, the toilet bowl was so stained I thought we were in the county lock up (I'm sure our neighbors were frequent visitors), we for obvious reasons did not remove our footgear until we got in bed....oh yea...I forgot the part about checking on the car every 10 minutes...I asked my wife to do it once and she yelled "you only want me to do it so you don't have to touch the curtains!" I chuckled. After falling into a sweaty slumber (not wife induced) I was awoken by a knocking noise, not one of our formerly incarcerated neighbors, but from the drain in the bathroom sink. My wife, the intrepid explorer, got up in the dark and discovered if you closed the drain in the sink the noise went away...you go girl! We were up at 4:30 to catch our flight, the car was still there! No one had jimmied the door! We showered and dried with a beach towel we had with us and out we went. We noticed a younger male smoking under the stairway at 5 A.M on our way out, didn't make eye contact, shoved the key in the office slot and we were liberated!!

Everything I just wrote is true with no embellishment. I read the other reviews and laughed, they were DEAD on. No remote for the TV either! Can't say I would recommend this place...but it definitely made a memory and I will enjoy telling the tale for a looong time. Never did check to see if we got free wifi or breakfast....so maybe I'm being to harsh!

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
10  Thank Bill C
Reviewed 14 March 2015 via mobile

I was looking everywhere for a place to stay because my daughter was sleepy and we needed a place to stay i looked everywere before i got the room it looked pretty normal at the begining bt wen i went in the room i got so scared my daughter Found a needle with heroin something i had never seen in my life i felt so afraid this place is spray then stayin in your car DO NOT GO THERE!!!!

• Stayed: March 2015
6  Thank Yezenia M
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed at this motel about a month ago and it was the worse run down motel imaginable. I was afraid to step out of the room because of the shady looking characters that were surrounding the neighboring suites. This montel is very sleezy an disgusting. After being given a room myself an my husband noticed people were hanging out on the stairs an smoking in front of the rooms.

The room did not have toliet paper or towel much less any appliances. I went over to the front desk to ask for toliet paper as of course not even the telephone was operating. Once given the supplies the towel looked dingy an very used an I saw a woman topless walkign out of a room an up the stairs towards another room. I was absoultely disgusted prostitutes an drug addicts is all you will find here.

DON'T waste your time or money here!!!! The last hour before my check out time while I gathered all of my belongings police had raided a room about 6ft from mine and it was the most nerve racking experience of my life. I was panicked and could not wait to exist this property. I wasnt sure what to expect but looking at uniformed officers with baradade sheilds is quite literally not the trip Id planned for. I sincerely hope this helps anyone at all save them from the experience I had.

Room Tip: The wildomere is much better with quality, saftey and comfort.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank tripplanneer a
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I found myself in Mesa late one night without a booking and found this place on google maps. The other motels in the area were full so I thought I'd give it a go. The place looked dodge from the start but it was late and I'd been driving for 6 hours so I took a room. The reception girl took me to the room at the far end of the complex where there were loads of shifty looking blokes knocking about staring at us as we took our bags to our room.

It took less than 30 seconds to realise that no sane person would stay in a motel like this. The room was a mess and stank to high heaven.

I don't like giving bad reviews but felt it my duty. Unless you've been kicked out of your home and are a step away from homelessness don't stay here. Seriously, don't stay here. Of course if you have a soft spot for crystal meth and "professional" ladies and no possessions of worth then you might love it.

Room Tip: You'd be better off sleeping in your car
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business