All reviewshidden paradiseat homeon stiltsamazing foodsurrounding areaattention to detailvery special placeshort drivewarm welcomeviews are stunningfeel so welcomewhite portlocal winewonderful hostslovely poolwonderful experienceperfect place
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Hard not to give Paraiso Escondido anything less than TEN stars! Both Glen and Bernie have put together a family and eco friendly resort, in a beautiful natural setting with spectacular service and near beaches and wonderful restaurants. Perfect for relaxing and spending time with family and friends. Thank you so much for a wonderful few days and look forward to returning soon to Paraiso Escondido.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2018

This laid-back Boutique-Hotel is absolutely fantastic. In the middle of nature, beautifully set on top of the hills with an incredible view, it is a gem to relax and charge your batteries. The house is full of gems and the rooms are super tastefully decorated. Each one has its own style, but all of them are stylish. The pool area is a dream, and the newly built houses in the tree are just fantastic! Big houses, wonderful interiors and a breathtaking view from the private terrace... Berny and Glenn are just the best host you can think of and the food and everything else they provide comes from the heart. A modern, relaxed, unique, outstanding place!

Room Tip: Wooden Bungalows are outstanding!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2018

From the moment we crossed the threshold of Paraiso Escondido we entered “Alentejo Time” - thats the feeling of shrugging off all the stresses of normal working life and slipping into a peaceful, calm and tranquil space. In that respect, its not really a "hotel", but more like the home of a welcoming and very special friend.

If you value a relaxed time immersed in the nature of "real" Portugal then you must consider Paraiso Escondido - what Berny and Glenn have created in the Alentejo countryside is truly amazing. There are few places where you can get so close to nature in such stylish luxury. The views are stunning - the fresh air scented with eucalyptus is invigorating and the sense of being at one with the world is inescapable.

The styling of whole property and friendliness of our welcome was unsurpassed. And still there is more. The food and drinks were sublime.

There honestly was not one single thing that wasn't perfect.

The breakfasts were the best we have ever had (seriously) - I know this because my wife never eats breakfast at home - a buffet of freshly baked bread ( the smell was devine ), goats cheese, glorious scrambled eggs ( I need to know the secret of how they do them!), presunto, fresh orange juice, medronho jelly, yoghurt-granola with algarvian honey - wow, fresh, simple and healthy - and all of it locally supplied.

The evening meals were a joy too - the ambience was something very special - the log fire, the lighting, the white port cocktails, just the right kind of music going on quietly in the background - and then the food again - perfectly sourced, cooked, and presented.

The wild boar, the chargrilled sirloin, the soup with figs, the mushroom & bacon with blue cheese, the deconstructed trifle, the coconut cream with strawberry - we have never had such lovely food in Portugal.

We had great dinner conversations with many guests - what a joy it was to engage with kindred spirits. The kind of people that are attracted here creates a virtuous circle of contentment for all the other guests.

The staff all worked so hard to make our stay special… a big thank you for the early arrangement with breakfast - we made Faro Airport with enough time to grab a coffee before going to the gate.

If Trip Advisor has any purpose - then it is simply for kindred spirits to find places like Paraiso Escondido.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Jasmim Suite - its stylish with a contemporary 4 poster bed and an open plan bath and shower area
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2017

From the consummate professionalism and friendliness of the hosts, Berny and Glenn, to the superb meals and mountain solitude, there is little I can add to the already highly complimentary reviews. I stayed in a suite below the pool, which was superbly fitted out, and I used to sit outside in the early mornings and evenings, enjoying the quiet. It is only a short drive to some specatular beaches where you can chill and watch the surf. The approach road is private but I would think not for the faint hearted, especially after dark.

I think that Berny and Glenn would agree that this is not a placedesigned to appeal to everyone, and I do not think they have created it to do so. It is for discerning travellers who appreciate the style of the place, freah and locally sourced food, beautifully cooked and presented. Indeed, it is not a hotel/guest house/retreat, but a combination of the best parts of all of these. My only regret is that I forgot to book a massage - I was so relaxed - but I will next time!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2017

Our first time in Portugal and it definitely won't be our last time visiting Paraiso Escondido, it was beyond everything I'd imagined.
Berny and Glenn made our stay even more memorable with their attention to detail and being hands on hosts, but also respecting your alone time. They were always available to help and provide suggestions/information for outings within the surrounding area or just to make a delightful gin & tonic. There is also a large selection of fine local wine to consume with dinner or just lounging around the lovely pool.
The food was amazing, much more sophisticated than we thought. The food is super fresh, purchased daily from the local proprietors. There is a wonderful breakfast available with the best scrambled eggs ever consumed, my wife and I managed to get a "scrambling" lesson from Glenn which we try and replicate at home now.
Fantastic hosts, fantastic location and serenity at it's best.
Well worth a visit, I promise.

Room Tip: The bungalows are the best for serenity and views across the valley.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple