All reviews rope bridge deck house manor house the main house hotel dogs love dogs cape town nature reserve duty manager small hotel table mountain stunning views watch the sunset sun loungers wonderful stay short drive attention to detail
Reviewed 19 April 2016

I recently spent a wonderful day at Camps Bay Retreat, enjoying a spa afternoon and Nature Bath for 2, followed by lunch (which we were treated to even though the kitchen had already closed to prep for that evening), and the most delicious wine on the lawn. The wine had been recommended by Van Zyl who was the most delightful host, and I will most certainly go back very soon. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
CampsBayRetreat, Manager at Camps Bay Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2016

Dear _katethompsonduwe,

It brings me great joy to read a review as the one you have left for us and for that I thank you. Thank you for taking the time to share your last experience with us and I am thrilled that you had such a great time with us. I will defiantly pass on the good words to Van Zyl and the team. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Warm regards,
Kerri Damant

Reviewed 7 April 2016 via mobile

If you are seeking true five star accommodation & service in Camps Bay, do not stay here. Whilst the rooms strive for (and ultimately fail) an acceptable level of quality, it's the hotel staff that poorly let down this establishment. For the price it is severely substandard - only the guard at entrance was remotely hospitable. We were greeted by rude, aloof and indifferent staff who play guests for fools. The room was private but tired, with broken light fightings and blinds. The breakfast menu read well, but tasted like a bland and inferior trip down memory lane. The only pleasant thing to greet us at breakfast was the delightful golden retriever. The view from the main building is undeniably lovely, but it too is ultimately tarnished by the lack of service mentality. A sad case of complacency has relegated Camps Bay Retreat to irrelevance. It struggles to achieve three stars yet charges six star prices - absurd!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jason W
Reviewed 2 April 2016

Camps Bay Retreat is a very delightful hotel. It is positioned way up the hill across the road from The Glen apartments where we stayed very recently but, we went to Camps Bay Retreat for our meals. It really is a delightful place but I have to the service is not that speedy but there again the staff are very obliging and helpful. If you're not in a hurry it is perfect. Even though I have criticised a little in this review I would still recommend you give this a try.

Stayed: March 2016
Reviewed 15 March 2016 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in late January. There was some confusion over our room upon arrival which took a little time to rectify during which we were offered a complimentary lunch - a nice gesture.

The room eventually allocated was Suite 1. It was in the main colonial style building and was huge, comfortable and delightful. The one serious drawback was the proximity of our suite to the hotel's entrance lobby and the noise that generated from this busy area i.e. telephones, loud conversations and the coming and going of residents, and early morning staff preparing breakfast from 0630 !

The hotel is about 800 metres from the centre of Camps Bay and the return journey is uphill - OK if able bodied. The gardens are attractive. Vehicle parking at the hotel is safe and plentiful - not so in Camps Bay where parking can be difficult.

Food was fine. We enjoyed one lunch, one BBQ on Sat evening and 4 breakfasts. My only comment was that service was slow and a little disjointed at times. Staff however were always friendly - they just needed to be better organised.

Overall a pleasant stay but not quite top notch. I would return but would ask for a room away from the main building.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2016

I spent 4 nights here with my husband before touring around the Cape. It's quiet and away from the main drag but has a sister hotel down on the seafront which Retreat guests can use as well. The bonus is a ride back to the Retreat in the company Porsche! Our room was spacious and right above the restaurant but not noisy. Some confusion over our booking on arrival was quickly sorted. Meals are on the patio overlooking the ocean, though the hotel sits higher up in the hills. The view of the ocean and the sunset was somewhat spoilt by a tower crane erected for a new build lower down, which we were told was now more or less finished. The pool nearest us was smallish but warm with loungers and towels on the grass surround. The gardens are nice but could be brilliant with more TLC and you walk through them as a shortcut to the sea front and beach which are amazing though the sea is cold and dangerous. We found this hotel to be a great base for touring Cape Town and Cape Point - not even 10 minutes by car to the Cape Town cable car, for example, and about the same into town (traffic permitting). If you prefer somewhere more lively, go for the Bay Hotel instead.

Room Tip: Choice or rooms in the main house or in chalets over a rope bridge.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Designs_JoanK,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you had a lovely time with us. We now have a new Gardens team who is doing phenomenal work and I'm sure the next time we welcome you back you will see a massive improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,