Protea Hotel Durban Edward
US$112
US$104
Cancelon
  • Pool
All reviewsprokard membergolden mileprotea groupfun parkamusement parksea viewbeachfront locationgrand old ladybreakfast and dinnernight staymarine paradeindian oceanshort stayrooms are spaciouscape towndurban beachfrontconcierge
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

i would look around next time .It seems they have stuck with the old ways and no real changes with keeping up to the times.
Still good just not my taste.very old school and kids were not impressed with the general feel

Stayed: March 2018
Belinda N, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Durban Edward, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear baldandbearded2016,

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent visit.

baldandbearded2016,we do notice that the current look of our hotel was not what you and your family had anticipated, and for that we apologize especially for not meeting your expectations , also to hear that even the kids were less satisfied.

As our valued GUEST ,we value your criticism and would like to thank you for being for so honest.

Again thank you, and we hope that you and your family might still change your mind by giving us a chance to come stay at our hotel.

Regards,

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The Hotel is wonderfully situated along the esplanade. So definitely ask for a sea facing room. The rooms have an antique type feel and are larger than the average hotel room. The food is average and nothing to rave about. My biggest concern is the lack of parking directly outside the hotel and that the actual parking is some way away. The hotel does offer a service wherein they park your car for you. However it is inconvenient and if I was driving a McLaren P3... it certainly wouldn't be an option as I would like to be the only one driving my car.

Stayed: February 2018

Dear Blondieza,

Thank you for taking the time to email us after your recent visit at the Protea Hotel by Marriott® Durban Edward. Your feedback is highly valued.

We are really appreciate to learn that you had a great stay with us also that you loved our food, whilst I am a bit disappointed to hear that you were not happy with our parking services. Blondieza as our Valued GUEST, on behalf of the hotel, please accept my apology for not meeting your expectations .

Once again my apologies for the inconvenience caused and we look forward to welcoming back at Protea Hotel by Marriott® in the near future.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

Location good. Room OK but small. Excellent breakfast and valet parking was free and efficient.
Staff were generally friendly and helpful.
Hotel was OK for 2 nights but would not have wanted a longer stay there.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Belinda N, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Durban Edward, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Dear Keith H,

On behalf of the entire hotel team, we want to thank you for sharing your most memorable experiences with us during your recent stay at Protea Hotel Durban Edward.

Please let me know the best contact number and time to reach you, or feel free to contact me via
phone anytime at 0313373681. I look forward to speaking with you in order to restore your
confidence in the Protea Hotel Durban Edward.

Reviewed 7 March 2018

I booked this hotel because it was on the Golden Mile and part of the Marriott family of companies. We arrived before check-in and they stored our luggage. When we checked-in, 3 different people started to help then stopped. I needed to look up something online to provide info for check-in, but they wouldn't give me the password until I checked in (circular argument).
It was in close proximity to the beach, which was nice.
Don't let the hotel arrange your hotel or other taxis. If you have Uber, use it instead or ask for a taxi with a meter. We learned this after 2 double charges with the hotel arranged transport.
The spa doesn't exist. When you call, someone give you a cell number to someone else so you can call and speak to them for possible scheduling. Then no one returns your call.

The curio shop is open at odd hours, we stopped by in early afternoon and early evening on a week day. It wasn't open. We didn't eat there, so no comment on that.

Some of the hallways have motion sensor lighting, which makes them appear dark and ominous. As a woman, I was quite uncomfortable starting to walk into dark hallways to get lights.

Stayed: March 2018
Belinda N, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Durban Edward, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Dear newyorkseestheworld,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. My name is BELINDA NGWANE and I am the
GUEST RELATIONS OFFICER at the Protea Hotel Durban Edward.

newyorkseestheworld,I must say that, the experience you described is not characteristic of the level of service our associates strive to
provide. Providing the highest level of hospitality is our number one priority and we sincerely apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations.

And I can assure you that we are always working to improve our guests’ satisfaction and your feedback helps us see our product through the eyes of our valued guests like you!

Also, as a teachable moment, we have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place to prevent this from occurring in the future.

We hope you will consider Protea Hotel Durban Edward on your next visit to Durban so that we can deliver on the guest experience you deserve.

Reviewed 1 February 2018

The room: Was basic, we asked for a balcony and were accommodated. There is a amusement park and pool directly in front of the beach. Also a long stretch of vendors (pretty much selling the same things).

The concierge was overly helpful. I dont know that I would typically complain about that but this was a bit intrusive. They called early in the morning trying to arrange excursions for us. We did wind up going on one to Shakaland which I will write about in another review. The concierge will push their drivers on you for everything...even if it is not the more cost efficient alternative. For example, we wanted to go to Florida Road to visit a restaurant. We were charged 110R. We took a taxi back and it was 50R. So as a tip, there are taxi's out on the strip all the time...don't feel pressured to go with the car service. We learned that a couple of days into the stay.

The Spa. Was the worst Spa experience we have ever had. It was like getting a massage done in a construction zone. There was loud banging on the door, walls all around us. They were not very sanitary either. They intended on using used tools for our manicure and pedicures. The masseuse informed the owner that we were going to not do the mani and pedi because of it and she did make a valiant effort to bring newly purchased items for it. But the facials were done using 1 bowl of the same water as there was no running sinks or anything in the 'room' they had us in. Where did they get the water from for the mani & pedi you ask? The hotel restaurant across the hall -_-. Granted I was having it done with my husband, but that is unheard of in the states. My painted nails both nails and feet were ruined because there was no dryers. You walk out with wet paint. It is not set up like a true spa. I was very disappointed by it. I must say to the owners credit, she did offer additional massage time since we complained about how noisy it was. The masseurs did an ok job. They were very pleasant and funny so we tipped them on the strength of that. But if we were to go back to Durban for vacay, I wouldn't do the spa.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Belinda N, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Durban Edward, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

Dear Danyale R,

I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention and the manner in which you did so, also would like to thank you for helping us to strive for service excellence.

Danyale R,please accept my sincere apologies for the unfortunate incident during your stay at the Protea hotel by Marriott Durban Edward. I have investigated your concerns and discussed it at length with both our concierge and Spa Departments. I can assure you that precautionary measures and steps have been put in place to avoid such a similar, future incident from re-occurring.

Again thank you for your honest feedback, please feel free to contact me directly should your travels bring you back to Durban. I would like to oversee your next booking and also ensure that you have a memorable stay but for the right reasons.

We should welcome an opportunity to show you true hospitality at its best.

Regards,