“Average Food, Expensive for "Southern Soul"”

Lolo's Chicken & Waffles
Ranked #73 of 500 Restaurants in Gilbert
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I visited at lunch. I had the two piece fried codfish dinner with 2 sides. My wife had a three piece chicken dinner with two sides. Our bill with a 20% tip came to $41.00 , no drinks, just water. The food was average to good, but no where near the price we paid. Save your money, go to Popeyes.

Reviewed 15 February 2018

Price for this meal: $84.60 includes tax & tip. These concerns were sent to Lolo's word-for-word and were unanswered by them. We have eaten at the Gilbert, AZ location many times, and have seen the prices steadily rise with the food quality intermittent. Monday, January 15, 2018 we took our oldest son to this location for lunch; his first visit. He travels all over the U.S. for business and we only had a short time before he had to go back. Our favorite is the Soul Food Platter with the Chicken Fried Chicken as our meat choice. Before ordering, we noticed that the menu had listed a $2 charge for adding a breast so we asked our server if that was the same if we ordered the CFC; server checked and came back to tell us it was a $5 charge to add a breast to the CFC. We asked if it would be the same boneless breast WITH the gravy. The answer was yes. We ordered the fried pickle appetizer and all 3 of us ordered the SoulFood Platter with the CFC, but each of us ordered different sides. We also added a single CFC $5 breast to take with us and asked for the gravy to be on the side and have it put in a large to go box as we usually split one of the breasts with our meal and take the other with us for the next day. The 3 meals were delivered, except the side of red beans came out with red beans and rice so the server took that back. The 3 of us were visiting and kind of forgot about time during which the server brought out the single breast in a box in a plastic bag. Came time to leave and we were brought the check, handed a credit card, finished our food, got the bill back to sign, and started getting the bag to put our meal CFC in to the small, cramped box, not even thinking about there not being a side of gravy. While signing the credit card slip, I noticed that there was an additional charge of gravy which we understood was included in the $5 charge for the CFC BONELESS BREAST. We looked around for our server but were running late to drop off our son, so we tipped on the card and left. After we got home (which is about a 40 mile drive from this restaurant) we realized that what we thought was a $5 CFC BONELESS BREAST, was in fact a BONE-IN BREAST, there was a little gravy on it, but not the same. Then we remembered that I never got my red beans!! The food we received tasted okay and didn't want to say anything in front of our son, but I felt that the candied sweets were a skimpy serving; the gravy was less than we were used to, and there were only a few green beans in the greenbeans/red potatoes. We were disappointed to say the least. Obviously, we should have taken it up with our server at the time (which we tipped 20% not realizing all the errors), but we were so busy visiting that we had to hurry to leave. Therefore, we thought Lolo's mgmt. should know of our disappointment before posting online and hope that now that they are expanding, that they don't lose what they started. We will certainly think twice before bringing another guest to your restaurant especially in view of the cost and what we thought we were getting.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

They started out as an outgrowth of Mrs. Whites in downtown Phoenix, in a little shop in South Phoenix. I first went to LOLO's with a co-worker years ago and was hooked. It was tough to get in there then, for the long lines. Now they moved to new digs on Central, and have arrived in several locations, not the least is this one on Gilbert road.

A full service restaurant & bar, tough to get into most time, so leave early and call ahead.

It is worth the wait.

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

We came here for lunch with friends. I had a great chicken salad and my husband had shrimp and Mac and cheese that was to die for. Our friend’s wife was able to get just one pancake rather than the portion of three listed on the menu. The only disappointment was our friend’s catfish and grits dish that only had two pieces of catfish. The waitress was super friendly and helpful. We sat out on the patio with the soft breeze on a most delightful day.

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

While visiting one of my friends in Phoenix Arizona, she kind of insisted that we try this restaurant. Chicken and waffles? Now I'm a good ole Southern girl and I like good fried chicken but I've never had chicken and waffles together. So I was up for it. I really enjoy the ambience and our waiter was simply wonderful. Since I can't eat a lot of bread I opted for the chicken and fries and the chicken was wonderful. I wish I had tried the waffles because the little ones that we here with us totally wolfed them down. I would've given them five stars, but the chicken was cooked really well done (not dry or anything but really dark brown). We ate outside and it was a beautiful day to have dinner on the veranda. LOL I would it again but I will have the waffles next time.