“Some of the menu items taste authentic New Mexico”
Review of New Mexican Grill

New Mexican Grill
Ranked #29 of 509 Restaurants in Gilbert
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 4 March 2018

First off, New Mexico is not Mexico. It is a culinary gem of a state if you like Spanish influenced Mexican and Native American cuisine that has been around since the 1700s when the Spaniards traveled up the Rio Grande of NM. The food from NM is not like anything else. I have traveled extensively throughout Mexico, and the Southwestern US and the cuisine is very different in NM. The grisly bits of steak chunk burritos and street tacos are more of Mexican inspired dishes typically found scattered all over the Southwest nowadays. The New Mexican Grill offers a simple and affordable version of quick service cuisine found in New Mexico. I am not going to compare it to any three star + places in Santa Fe or Albuquerque where most cuisine has taken almost an art form. To me its more like a quick service or an affordable casual restaurant you'd find in some places in Albuquerque and mostly the southern part of New Mexico. They also have the Indian bread dishes like the Navajo taco inspired dishes found in the Gallup region. Their chile is perfect (not too hot, not too mild) and goes great smothered over a burrito. Give this place a try I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. ---- My order suggestion: The ground beef and potato burrito smothered in green chile and cheese. That burrito IMHO comes pretty close to something I would find in a quick service place in Albuquerque or Las Cruces, NM. They also offer take-away meals. If you get a smothered dish, be sure the cashier doesn't carelessly pack it for you to go in your car ride home. That could get messy. Just my 2 cents and experience from NM.

2  Thank California_Wine

Reviewed 21 December 2017

I was really craving a fry bread and this place was the only place I could find on this particular day I went. Fry bread was good, light and fluffy; however, I was not completely thrilled with the red chili beef I had with my fry bread.

Reviewed 13 December 2017

Always have a great meal and I’ve ordered several different dishes. The staff has always been friendly and the owner is usually around. The Green Chili Sauce is the best I’ve ever had. It’s not your typical green chili sauce it’s thicker than most but delicious. I order items with it and ask for extra on the side. It’s a must try and order it on whatever you get or at least on the side.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

We come from a city where Mexican food is every where so we know some Mexican or New Mexican food. We have found this place to be true to the taste and flavors we're used to in Mexican food. We love the spicy flavors of the dishes and the salsas are also delicious. The beans and rice are just as good as home. I highly recommend anyone to try it once.

1  Thank christyp250
Reviewed 28 July 2017

My husband and I have been searching for a really good authentic Mexican restaurant. We didn't find it here unfortunately. My husband had the crunchy tacos and it was ok, and I had the chicken burrito with the green chili sauce. The chicken had funny texture and i could not eat it. Their rice and beans was quite taste :)