“Wow! But not in a good way...”
Review of JP Pancake

JP Pancake
Ranked #152 of 478 Restaurants in Gilbert
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Ok, I’ll start with the positives. The food was good and our server was a sweetheart, in no way should this reflect negatively on her. However, my family and I were visiting from Las Vegas (and some from California) to celebrate my brothers 50th birthday. We all decided to go to JP pancake for breakfast so my sister in law called at 9:00am to reserve a party of 12 at noon. A few people actually showed up at 11:30 to make sure our name was in, hoping we could sit at noon. The rest of the party arrived promptly at noon and we weren’t sat for about 45 minutes. We understand that it’s a soft reservation but and hour and 15 minutes from check in?? We had waited quit a while so we were all hungry and ready to order in did so immediately. Here comes the fun part... about 45 minutes after that 2 people received food. About 20 minutes after that 3 more people received food. This continued for about an hour with incomplete plates (missing potatoes, 2 slices of French toast instead of 4, wrong ingredients in burritos, etc.) until we finally all had food, at about 2:00pm which is closing time for them. I’ve been working in restaurants for 20 years and this is just so unacceptable on so many levels. I can’t begin to imagine what kind of chaos was happening in that kitchen but there was literally no one left in the restaurant when we were still missing food so I can’t imagine it was because they were busy. Really unprofessional and when we finally did see a manger at the end of our meal she asked us if it was worth the wait. Is she serious? There were several simultaneous “no’s” that came out of our mouths and the only response she had was that it was a crazy day, no apology and zero concern for why we had a bad experience, nothing. I seriously regret not leaving our server extra money to get a drink after work because I’m sure she needed one. Not that they have to worry about us not coming back because we aren’t local but I wouldn’t recommend it unless you want breakfast to run you 2 1/2 hours (3 hours for those who showed up at 11:30). A catastrophic fail.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Decided to try this place as I had driven by quite a few times and was curious. It was busy, but we were seated within 20 minutes. Ordered the pigs in a blanket, with a side of 2 eggs. My friend ordered the same thing. The only beverage I ordered was water, and was brought a tiny cup of water. I looked around and every single table had full size glasses of water. I asked the bus boyif I could have a regular size glass of water, and his reply was that all the water was served in a tiny cup. I pointed out the glasses of water on the other tables, and he just shrugged his shoulders. I asked for more water, and he brought a pitcher to refill my tiny cup. OK... tried to move on from that. Pancakes lacked flavor. With the rave reviews, I was expecting more. The syrup is not pure maple syrup. Adding 2 eggs to my order added $3.50, not the .50 that showed at the top section of the menu. My friend's egg order was forgotten, and brought later. I will not be repeating.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

I love German pancakes and they have very good ones here. Staff is friendly and efficient. The restaurant is in a strip mall so not at all fancy so ambiance not great but food is so good you don't care.

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

I've been going to JP's Pancakes for a while because they have good gluten free breakfast items for my wife, daughter and grandkids - not me thankfully. I love their baked/German pancake.

Years ago they were owned by a nice lady and her son had one in Scottsdale. The Scottsdale one closed and he helped at the Gilbert location. That was when it dropped a little in the correct baking of the pancake, they didn't rise.

A couple of years ago the business was sold. Now they cook the baked pancakes perfectly. I bring people there often and they have been perfect each time.

I would have given them a 5, but the service was not great. I never go on weekends, so when I go there may be 8 people there max. Add the 20 minutes to bake the pancake, then the service should be excellent. They are very nice, but not timely.

Great restaurant with nice options. Wish they were a little closer, but then I would be a blimp.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

Pleasant little breakfast place, nicknamed "Puffy Pancake". And that's exactly what you should get here. Their baked German puffed pancakes, available in several flavors, are incredible! It's a unique breakfast that's well worth the visit.