“I wish I owned this house!”

Review of Efo'r Grug

patio and house
View from house. Kitchen at Efo'r Grug.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
View from house.
Kitchen at Efo'r Grug.
Living room at Efo'r Grug.
Living room at Efo'r Grug.
Entrance hall.
Dining area.
Bedroom 1
Bedroom 2
Bedroom3
Bedroom 4
Bathroom
Newport and the Church from Efo'r Grug.
From the living room in the evening.
View of Efo'r Grug and hills beyond from the bay.
Newport Bay.
From the hills to Newport Bay.
Roof terrace
Drive entrance
Gate from patio to path to garden paddock
view to sea from patio
path to garden paddock
house before new patio and roof terrace
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Reviewed 26 May 2018 for a stay in May 2018

maggieB60
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Property but only ONE family bathroom”
Reviewed 9 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016

My partner and I were looking for a week away, with our dog, and some friends said they would join us for a few days. I therefore filtered my search for 2-bathroom properties as I prefer my own bathroom. E'for Grug fitted the bill so I booked it and off we went. Imagine how disappointed I was to find only ONE family bathroom, not the 2 advertised. There was a separate toilet and washbasin but to me that's a cloakroom, not a family bathroom.
Having said that, I can only reiterate other reviewers' comments about the house being extremely comfortable and with views to die for. I could have sat in the lounge all week watching the tide come and go and the surrounding countryside. The house is really well equipped (except for wine glasses!), the beds were comfy, and although we didn't eat outside I'm sure it would be lovely to do so in warmer weather.
This is a part of Wales we had not visited before and we were not disappointed. Newport has the most amazing beach, which our old dog loved, we found the locals to be friendly
and helpful and there are great places to eat and interesting little shops. We shall definitely return.

Liked best: The stunning views
Liked least: The bathroom - only one and it desperately needs updating
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
People with pets
Management Response
10 Oct 2016
Thanks for the review and fair point about bathroom. My apologies for the misunderstanding. It use to be listed as one bathroom and an additional wc, then the website was updated and (being American?) if you list one bathroom it says only one toilet and we were losing bookings because of that, so it is down as two. It does give more clarity in the property description section. We have just started to build an extension onto the house to give two ensuite bedrooms and an additional two family bathrooms along with a cloakroom/wc too, along with some other improvements (roof terrace, new balcony, wood burner etc).
It will be completed by the beginning of July 17, so please come back after that date and there will be 4 bathrooms and 5 toilets to use.
Kind regards
Charlie
cathyshou...
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Comfortable house with fantastic views and excellent food and walks on the doorstep”
Reviewed 25 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016

This house is super! It is in such a fantastic elevated position overlooking the sands and very close to the centre of Newport. We walked down to the great pubs, shops and eating places that Newport has to offerr in 10 minutes (take a torch in the evening). They are all great but if I was to choose Id say Vic Narth for delicious food and friendly service (and dogs allowed) and Golden Lion for drinks, food and general merriment before striding back up the hill! The dark sky was brilliant for Milky Way and star gazing!

We walked all over the place form the house, including over the back to the beautiful Gwaun Valley and back over Carn Ingli (the rocky summit of the angels), to Pentre If an burial Chamber and through the ancient woods, all along the estuary and round Dinas Head. Also, great for walking on the mud flats when the tide is out and watching amazing sunsets. We also drove to the Prescelli Ridge and walked along that with the most amazing views from Lundy Island, Ransay Island, to Bardsey Island and from Snowdonia to Brecon Beacons.

Now, if you prefer a more leisurely holiday thats easy; just relax and look out of the windows as there is always something happening whether bird life, boat life or just changing skies. Its a warm and comfortable living space with everything you would need. Perfect, really, so thanks very much Charlie for all your help and we hope that we will be visiting again,,,and again.....

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The views and comfort
Liked least: Having to go home!
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
AlanAtWee...
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“What a wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed 25 August 2016 for a stay in June 2016

The best thing about this house is the view. We never ate out in the evening, preferring to cater for ourselves and watch the day close over the Nevern Estuary and the coastal landscape beyond. We had stunning sunsets every evening except our last. The house is reasonably well appointed, and for the two of us it was absolutely fine, although a full house might require a bathroom rota! But this is nit-picking! (and I believe that the owner has plans to extend). The lounge, on the first floor, was very comfortable, as was the bed, and with a decent working kitchen, we felt really at home there.

We knew Newport of old, and the dear place has changed little over the years. It provides a good base for touring the north-west coast of Pembs, and places like St. David's and Cardigan are within fairly easy reach. The coastal paths here take in some breathtaking scenery; Carningli (which apparently means 'Angel mountain!) and the Prescellis can be reached on foot from the house, and it is a gentle walk to either the Parrog, or, a little further, Newport beach.

Our favourite place to eat out is the Cnapan.

All in all a wonderful place to stay! We heartily recommend it!

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
CarPem
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Just the best place ever.”
Reviewed 30 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016

We stayed here with a friend for a long weekend then as a couple for the rest of the week. It was fabulous but could imagine it would be a perfect venue for a larger family holiday. So many details it's hard to remember them all. Charlie's communication was impeccable throughout and the details helped our arrival run smoothly. The views were the first thing that hit us and I would have been happy to sit looking out of the massive window all day and night. The rooms we stayed in had their own sink which I could imagine would be helpful if there were lots of you. The bed was the most comfortable ever and the sheets felt brand new. It was so cold when we got there but the heating was amazing, there was even an electric blanket so I was lovely and warm all week. The walk into the village was beautiful, especially walking through the top lane, we saw so many different flowers, plants and animals, even a Kite. This house had everything you needed for time away. I loved the way it was decorated, so different to most rental properties. It really felt like a home away from home and I would recommend but hope no one takes any notice as I would really like to go again, soon.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location, views, beds, decor, space, privacy, heating.......everything.
Liked least: That I only booked it for a week.
Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing