16 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.comUS$1,876
FindHotelUS$1,901
PricelineUS$1,837
3,033 results
All reviews reef restaurant bubbles bar diamond otemanu le corail our honeymoon main island fish overwater bungalow meal plan wedding chapel deep ocean french polynesia living room coffee table walk in closet canoe breakfast golf cart
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Paradise. Absolute paradise. We stayed 6 nights. We love to travel and I am absolutely certain it is all downhill from here. We can go on and on about the island and the Thalsso, but just as an example… We aren’t usually big spenders when it comes to lodging when we travel but we were certainly impressed when escorted to a private table with drinks and cold cloths to sit and enjoy the view while our paperwork was completed). We were again upgraded courtesy of our Ambassador membership (please see our review for the Intercontinental Moorea) to an absolutely beautiful “Diamond” room with phenomenal views of Mt. Otemanu. The rooms themselves were much more generously spaced than we expected and we felt we had total privacy. Room, views, staff, etc. were all amazing. We are not sure when, but we will definitely be returning. We could not have dreamt of anything more wonderful. I cannot imagine a more perfect or romantic location to relax and savor the company of whomever you are traveling with. We are still kicking ourselves that we were able to make this trip. Truly, pictures cannot do it justice.

Tips:

- As in Moorea, we made a stop at a local grocery store to purchase beer/wine, water, snacks, and food for lunch. Take the shuttle to the other IC resort (Moana) and a grocery store is an approximately 10 minute walk (you don’t need to pay for the shuttle the resort offers unless you have physical limitations).

- Request a room with a view of Mt. Otemanu – breathtaking.

- Here we opted to include breakfast AND dinner (Half Board), which I am thankful for. You have 3 choices for dinner: two restaurants on the property, which are both excellent, and you can take the shuttle to the restaurant at the IC Moana (nice for a change of pace - although the Thalasso seemed to be the more luxurious of the two resorts). We didn’t think the dinner buffets were as delicious as the typical menu offerings, but many people raved about them). We skipped the buffet after trying it once and opted for the “informal” restaurant by the pool. There, the food is just as good - ranging from pizzas to excellent fish and pasta dishes. Make a reservation and ask to sit out on the beach if you choose to dine there. One complaint – they were out of several items listed on their menu both nights we dined there.

- Walk to the back side of the resort to the ocean side to check out the stars on a clear night. You will see EVERYTHING. Invest in a constellation app for your phone or e-reader if you haven’t already. You may want to check it out during the day first as it was somewhat disconcerting exploring it at night for the first time without knowing our surroundings.

- Excursions: A circle island snorkeling tour is a MUST (have never seen more beautiful coral or swam with such abundant fish – we went with Moana Adventures and they were fabulous – this was the only excursion we booked from the US and they fill quickly), diving is phenomenal (the resort has its own PADI shop), sailing (expensive, but well worth it for us – book well in advance , i.e., before you arrive if you know you want to go), spa (they are known for their spa, but I don’t know if we would go again for the price – if you are “spa people” I am sure you will love it).

- Enjoy the lagoon! Maybe people enjoy having food and beverage service, but we were always astounded by the number of people who seemed to spend a large portion of their time at the pool. It’s great for a quick rinse after checking out the ray feeding, but otherwise we swam/snorkeled/or floated on rafts from our private deck.

- We left Bora Bora to take the red eye back to the US. Get as late a flight as possible. Once you arrive at the Tahiti airport your choices are limited. You can take a cab into town, but the price of storing or hassle of bringing our luggage was not worth it (for us) – beware VERY long lines if you do pay to store your luggage). The international terminal did not open until 2-3 hours before departure. While this terminal is very nice (lots of seating, AC, food/drinks to purchase, duty-free shopping) the rest of the airport has not benefited from similar improvements.

Date of stay: May 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
7  Thank Virginia412
Reviewed 27 August 2012

First of all Bora Bora itself is amazing. It is everything you hear about and more. Intercontinental Thalasso is amazing. Definitely one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The snorkeling is just awesome and they have a bunch of other activities as well. Highly recommend getting the ambassador membership before you leave (actually at the time of booking). We got our room upgraded which was awesome. There was almost nothing we disliked about this hotel. We only had two very small negatives - the food in the hotel isn't the greatest and the hotel is very expensive but you definitely get what you pay for. The other advantage with this hotel is that you can use the facilities of the Intercontinental Bora Bora as well. Not as nice as Thalasso but still a bonus.

Room tip: Can't go wrong with room. Get the ambassador club and the upgrade in room you get will more than pay for the membership fee.
Date of stay: May 2012
1  Thank Subbu N
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The property is wonderful. We had originally stayed 2 years ago and though the place was wonderful. They outdid themselves this year. The view from OWB was amazing.
Special thanks to Heimana and Christophe in front office. Also Margaux and Laure in Concierge office.
We plan to be back.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Milo911MD
Reviewed 25 August 2012

It was supposed to be a dream, but it came as a NIGHTMARE. I had read a review on Tripadvisor from a customer who were stolen, but I thought it would never happen to me. My mistake! I were stolen US$600 in my last night at Intercontinental Thalasso & SPA Bora Bora. I immediatelly called the staff and talked to the general manager next day. I offered all the stuff, including my wife's wallet for collecting fingerprints and detailed analysis, but after almost one month, absolutely nothing was done. I would come back to Bora Bora (it's really the paradise), but would NEVER stay in the same hotel. There are plenty cheaper and where steals are not commonly reported. Anyway, I will wait the final investigations for giving my full review.

Date of stay: August 2012
19  Thank Edward O
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort Thalasso Spa, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Edward O,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent stay with us. It's disappointing to hear about your experience at our hotel. I would like to address your concerns in further details and have sent you a private message to obtain more information regarding your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Went to this hotel for our honeymoon. The over-water bungalow and the view of Mount Otemanu was amazing. Spend the little extra on the mountain view room - totally worth it. Food was ok.

The hotel has a free boat to the main island, which is a good bonus. Rent a bike at the main island and ride to Vaitape for a local experience. Also, jet ski around the island is a must!

Date of stay: October 2011