“Beautiful food but music loud”
Review of The Oxford

The Oxford
Ranked #1 of 75 Restaurants in Timaru
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: European, British, New Zealand
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: “The kind of food that makes you want to wipe the plate with a chunk of crusty bread to savour every drop” We are located in the heart of Timaru. Our restaurant has three main areas. The bar, where you can have a glass of good wine or a craft beer on tap. The brasserie, a place where you're still part of the buzz, and the dining room, for those who what to focus on their company and the food. Its all about keeping it simple. We don’t want to mess to much with the quality ingredients we have sourced, so why should we? We have set up a bistro style menu with a European influence. Rustic bold flavours that marry perfectly together. "Nannas home cooking but done better. It’s the kind of food that you want to wipe the plate with a chunk of crusty bread to savour every drop." We are an allergy friendly restaurant. As we make almost all of our food onsite we know what is in it. Almost 70% of our menu can be served GLUTEN FREE. Talk to our staff about special allergy requirements.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The meal as usual was delicious but the music was so loud that I felt we were in a club. It’s a restaurant that prides itself on service and food. However tonight in the dining area we could not hear the waitress serving us. She got the music turned down twice. Other diners were also upset. The music was excessive. There was a large group drinking at the bar so that may have been the reason. The restaurant needs to decide if it is catering to this group or diners. We could have gone to the bar over the road. I was so disappointed as this was a special occasion and I would have chosen a quieter restaurant in Timaru that offers the same quality of dining.

Date of visit: February 2021
Write a reviewReviews (316)

Reviewed 28 November 2020

Service was great, I had the Chicken with Risotto, The Chicken was plan, boring and the Risotto was so salty I had two bites of it, My Husband also tasted it, so it wasn't just my taste. This rates up there as the worst restaurant meal I have ever had. They did offer to redo it, but I knew it would be a real pain for them, as it was Gluten free, and they do take that really seriously which is really good. maybe they should taste things before they send them out, as this was obviously an accident, I could still taste the salt hours later.

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 14 November 2020 via mobile

We picked the Oxford based on the latest reviews and were not disappointed.
When you walk in you expect high prices as the decor and finish has that look about it We had a range of breakfast dishes. The granola was outstanding as were the eggs poached and scrambled. The coffee was quick to arrive and of high quality.
The service was excellent.
Pleased we choose this one this morning and we will come back when in timaru again.

Date of visit: November 2020
1  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 28 October 2020

Lunch time meeting with friends, prompt friendly service, nicely presented and delicious food, a little upmarket and well presented dining areas.

Date of visit: October 2020
Reviewed 27 September 2020

You must go here for the tastiest food possible. Great presentation and variety of dishes. I branched out and tried something different to what I would normally have (it was my birthday) and was not disappointed. Amazing flavours. Will have to return very soon.

Date of visit: September 2020