Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Martine Darrou
Dunedin, New Zealand

Stay away

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 26 Jul 2021
I stayed overnight at the anchor motel in Timaru New Zealand, I had booked a studio, I’m a seasoned traveler, when I arrived the owner show me the room it was so small like a cell with a bed and a toilet, I commented that I did not booked a backpacker, he assured me that was not it, seeing my reaction he offer me to upgrade at a great cost of a bigger but similarly run down, with holes in the cupboard, etc, and so noisy the electric blanket worked only in one side, to add insult to injury in the morning about 10 minutes passed the check out time the owner knocked loudly at the door, saying are you ready to move out!
While at lunch in town the restaurant owner and I were talking he asked where did you stay and I told him, and he said OH No! That is the worth place to stay so that say it all.
Stay away.
Get rewarded with One Key
    $86
3.4 km from Anchor Motel & Timaru Backpackers
View more hotels in Timaru
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 April 2019 via mobile

Lovely place to stay! Spacious warm the inside has been nicely modernised. A bloody comfortable bed! Large lounge and kitchen. I will definitely be back. Would highly recommend this as a place to stay

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Travellerben
Yoan T, Owner at Anchor Motel & Timaru Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2019

Thank you for your great review, Travellerben, we're very happy you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed 15 March 2019

Very good location close to the main road. Bakery opposite. The supermarket is less than a kilometer away. Good laundry along with a drying room (thanks to the nice lady from the reception I did not have to pay extra). Very nice and helpful staff. My room with the bathroom was small, but in my opinion it was worth the price I paid.

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Thank yo for your review Toamsz, it's great you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed 26 December 2018 via mobile

Older unit but cost feel with a comfortable bed and parking in front of some units. Across the road from coupland bakery and caroline bay within walking distance. Close to restaurants and supermarkets.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick M

Hi PatMacnz64, thanks for your review, we're glad you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed 4 December 2018

I didnt think I could find worse than Reavers Lodge in Queenstown but that was before I stayed at Anchor Motel in Timaru! This is the worse place I have ever stayed in! I couldnt sleep during my stay. The mattress is too old, you sink in it and it kills your back. The constant - day&night- noise from the cars and trucks on State Highway 1 makes you feel like you're sleepling on the street as the windows are very thin. The place is gross and looks like it's been abandoned. The floor are probably not cleaned because it is so sticky each step makes noise. In the building I was in there is only one shower and one toilet without soap to wash your hands. The kitchen lacks basics such as bowls, cups, teatowels, etc. The bedroom smelled like tobacco as the guy next door smokes in his bedroom and the corridor smells like a mix of alcohol and tobacco. The walls are so thin you hear the person and the tv next door. Some people are living here long term and don't care coming back at 1am without paying attention to other clients' sleep - using the microwave and speaking loudly even after I've closed the kitchen door, or holding conversations right in front of your doors. They don't know how to close a door but kept slamming them each time they go in or out. The safety is also a concern as they are open wires in the living room and it doesnt seem to have a fire alarm in the rooms or kitchen (a guy left his food to burn...). Finally I had only 250mb for the whole stay, which didn't even work properly and you have to pay if you want more.
This motel was not worth my money or anyone else's and the owner/management should be ashamed to run such a place!

Room tip: Find another place!
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Hi Reanalda,
We're very sorry you disliked your stay so much. I'd like to point out that YOU DID NOT STAY AT THE ANCHOR MOTEL, YOU STAYED AT THE BACKPACKERS, and you paid backpacker prices, that's why you had to share kitchen bathroom and lounge with others (some long term residents as you say yourself).
It's a bit of shame you did not come and tell me about you not being happy with the Backpacker accommodation, I could have offered you a Motel room for an extra fee.
I hope the rest of your trip went well

Reviewed 21 October 2018

On the main road through town this motel is also a backpackers, so can be a bit noisy, especially our room which was next to the laundry. The interior of the rooms are a bit rough in the way of finishing, but are very clean and comfortable. If you want a good cheap place to use as a base while exploring Timaru this is good. The staff are very friendly and if you want to cook there is as good a collection of pots and cutlery that I think I have even seen in a motel.

Date of stay: October 2018