“Canoe Safaris are the best way to see the river!”
Review of Canoe Safaris

Canoe Safaris
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Ohakune
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided tours from 1 to 5 days in the Whanganui National Park. Suitable for all ages and all fitness levels. Family trips a speciality. Operating for 30 years. Easy paddling, short Walks, Maori and European history. Fantastic meals. Fully qualified guides and we are a licensed operator. Canoe and Kayak Hire is also available.
Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

We did the 3 day guided tour with 13 friends. I have to say I was very nervous about doing this trip but I'm so happy I fought the fear. Simon and his team could not have been more helpful. We picked up our barrels the night before (they fit more in than I thought they would) and gave us dry bags to use for day bags and extra gear. Our guides Chloe and Arianne were outstanding, made us feel safe but still let us have fun. I can't say enough about the food because it was so good. I hardly ate any of the snacks I took. The seat in the canoe was not as hard as I thought it would be, so no sore butt. TIPS- take loo paper (1 roll per person), bug spray and citronella candle for night. Take cover up clothes for day, if the sun is out you in it for a long time. The mattress in the tents was rough on my bad back, wish I had taken a small air bed. Roll up dry bags well at all times, they will leak if you capsize. Take pegs and rope to hang out wet gear. Rubbish sacks for wet gear are handy. The toilets are all long drops and can be stinky but that's part of the adventure. I wouldn't consider myself fit but the trip does require some stamina and agility to get up banks and muddy paths . If your going to take this river then do it with Canoe Safaris as they are the BEST.

4  Thank kama_rimmer
"personal gear"
"an excellent guide"
"camp ground"

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

Canoe safaris was the best choice for our three day trip. Food really is as good as all day, such a selection and a few good surprises along the way. Our guide was fantastically knowledgeable about the river, history, flora and people making our small group wait for 'story time with Fraser'. Well managed, great people and an amazing Great Walk to achieve. Buzzing!

1  Thank AStockwellWestSussex
Reviewed 31 January 2017 via mobile

We went on a tour with Canoe Safaris for two days and had a great time! Michelle, our guide, was professional but still lots of fun and we felt safe and relaxed on the tour with her. The scenery was gorgeous and the paddling was relatively easy going. We loved the food provided on this tour, very top notch from start to finish, including happy hour with a glass of wine, lovely big dinner and awesome breakfast in the morning. Highly recommend doing a tour with these guys. Make the most of it by doing a few days if you can!

1  Thank Justine C
Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

My wife and I canoed down the Whanganui River end of Jan 2017 and the whole trip was perfect. Weather was exceptional (3 days of scorching sun, a bit a breeze and cool nights, which helps) but the experience was fantastic and organisation flawless. Our guide (Fraser) was great, with a very good knowledge of the river and its history. Food was great, fellow travellers very nice, etc.

Thanks Simon & co., five stars to Canoe Safaris!

2  Thank fredlaury