The Green Room Canggu
The Kirana Hotel Resto and Spa(Canggu)(Great Value!)
US$71
US$57
Agoda.com
Enigma Bali Villas(Canggu)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$178
Legong Keraton Beach Hotel(Canggu)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$50
Hotels.com
Ngeluwungan Boutique Villa(Canggu)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$68
Oazia Spa Villas(Canggu)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$135
Agoda.com
FRii Bali Echo Beach, Hotel(Canggu)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$40
The Apartments Canggu(Canggu)(Great Value!)
US$55
Ametis Villa(Canggu)
US$483
US$429
Hotels.com
Hotel Tugu Bali(Canggu)(Great Value!)
US$360
US$270
Priceline
All reviewskima surfsurf guidingsurf campsurf spotsthe camp managergreat surfskill levelold manwalking distancefree flowadvanced surfersair condrinking watercool placetea and coffeerooms are nicedvd player
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had a fantastic time at Kima - Green Room. We were so lucky to have the suite which was really so amazing. It was very spacious, clean and beautiful.

The surfing lessons were lovely and were a good fit depending on the level surfer you are. You can have up to do two sessions a
Day or do a day trip. The surf guides give you personal attention in order to get your techniques right. Besides that they’re fun people to hang out with between the waves.

The morning breakfast was really good and it was plenty to get your day started catching a wave. If you missed breakfast due to a day trip you would get a coupon to order lunch or dinner. Simultaneously, you can buy your own kima steel bottle to reduce plastic productions bottles. There are two filtered water taps on the resort you can use anytime you like (keep up the good work)!

We would go back anytime! Have fun if you’re planning your trip at Kima!

Cheers!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I spent almost 2 weeks in the camp and really enjoyed it. The place is beautiful, the rooms are clean and the food is is very tasty. One of the best things were the surfing sessions for which one can sign in every day. Since there are a lot of surfing spots and different offerings from the camp, I had a very differentiated program during the whole stay. The surf guides did a really good job giving me advice how to improve my surfing skills. It was the first time surfing for me and with their help I was able to learn it very fast. Also the food is really good and healty. There is a lot of variety especially for the breakfast menue (fruits, rice dishes, smoothies, etc.), which is included in the room fees. The people are kind and helpful, which makes the stay familiar. I will definitely go back to the camp really soon and can fully recommend it when visiting Canggu.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The room design is really good with an awesome common area (pool table, swimming pool, and delicious restaurant).
The staff is very caring and their services are personalized.I loved the surf lessons in the pool where I have improved my duck dive.
With two surf sessions a day for 1 week, I have the impression of having passed a stage in my surfing. I feel much more confident and independent in the water.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2018

This was rather disappointing because we do have quite high expectations after reading rave reviews. In the end, I don’t think the amount we paid justified the value we got.

We booked 4 nights at their shared dorm. The place was not very well kept, there are things thrown everywhere, and the beds are really narrow. When sleeping at the top of the bunk, there was always a slight fear that I might roll off. The beds were also either too stiff or soft at irregular parts of the matters and I woke up with back aches and shoulder sores. I thought this was just me, but my friend felt the same way too.

We also arrived in the afternoon and having not slept much the night before, we were hoping to get a good nap. But the air-con is on timer and will only switch on in the night. There was minimal air circulation in the room and there was no fan around. It was so hot and stuffy, it was impossible to sleep.

Understandably, this is a hostel and usual hustle and noise is expected. During our stay, we have been considerate people and have tried to make minimal noise whenever there are people in the room. But we were told by our dorm mates that when using the washroom in the night or early morning, we should only use a torchlight because thats how it has always been — I don’t find this reasonable at all.

For the surf guiding, my friend and I were both beginners with experience. The guide was friendly and good, but I did not like how all the one star surf are always at the same beach. Double six beach was not fun to surf at, the waves are short and my feet could touch the ground. And if I joined the 2 stars guide, it will be one guide to 3-6 people. That’s too many in a group for me. I had way more fun improving my surfing at Batu Bolong after we left Kima.

Feeling that we might not be compatible to Kima after all, we had decided to check out 2 nights early, to book a place elsewhere instead. The Kima staff insisted that since its in our terms and conditions, we would have to pay the full amount regardless of when we check out. They did not compromise one bit and did not even try to compensate in any way for our bad experience there. We decided to check out early nonetheless, since all good vibes are gone now.

Afterwards, every time we walk past the reception or housekeeping staff, they would always constantly ask when we are checking out, as if they can’t wait to kick us out (even though we have decided to still pay for the full 4 nights).

When we do eventually check-out, it was pouring. The dorms are just 5mins walking distance away from the main area reception, but with our luggage, the rain and bad road conditions, it was quite a toll. So we asked the housekeeping if he could get us transport from the dorm to the main area (on his scooter or something). We were told that we can either walk or call a taxi. No help was offered.

We eventually got a taxi, and when we were leaving the dorms, we were followed by the housekeeping (on his scooter! and only then he offered to help) — I think he was afraid we might just drive away without checking out and paying. What hostility!

Overall, it was an unpleasant experience. I would not return. This place is overpriced, not up to expectations and standards, and does not provide value for the kind of money you will be paying.(Note that the hostel price paid may cover surf guiding but they do not cover surf board rental and board insurance! Also no zinc, and you got to buy your own board wax.)

Also wifi is unreliable and constantly down when we were there.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
KimaSurf1995, Manager at The Green Room Canggu, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Hi Lara –

We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay in the dorm. Other guests complained about you and your friend in the dorm during your stay so we understand that you were not having a good time.

We want to confirm that you booked 4 nights in the 6 bed dorm room during your stay for 50 euros per night / per person and this stay included:

- Accommodation in our surf lodge
- 2 surf sessions per day, including transportation to Seminyak for the beginner waves
- 3 course Breakfast each morning
- Indonesian Chicken and Fish BBQ on Friday night
- Surf video analysis
- Surf Theory Classes
- Monday Movie Night, Tuesday Sunset Beer, and Wednesday Free Yoga Session
- Bicycles free of charge to use throughout your stay
- 2 pools for your use
- Kitchen to use in the dorm as well as a full service restaurant for lunch and dinner

However, when the Camp Manager spoke with you, you told her the ‘dorm life’ was not for you. We offered to move you to a different dorm room or a different bed and you did not want this option either. That being said, we wish you had originally booked a standard or deluxe room rather than booking two beds in the dorm if you knew you did not like staying in hostels.

Our dorm/lodge has two housekeeping staff on the property at all times and they work very hard to keep the space fresh and clean. Dorms do tend to have more clothes and belongings around however as there are 3 bunk rooms and everyone has their own bags and belongings. We also have very nice beds compared to other dorms you will find in Canggu, and we often hear compliments from the guests about the comfort level. If you were afraid of the height, if would have been better to request a bottom bunk so we could help you to be more comfortable. Also our bunk beds are larger than usual standard twin beds. They are 90x200 standard mattress size which is a great benefit for a dorm bunk bed! These are the same size as our dlx room and suite beds! Nobody has EVER complained they are too small.

During the day the AC is not turned on in the dorms as most guests are out surfing and enjoying their time in Bali. We have multiple fans in each room and I have double checked this morning – the fans are in the rooms and within easy reach to be plugged in and used if necessary! We turn the AC off during the day to save energy, and protect the environment, as many guest come and go throughout the day and leave the doors open – thus using too much AC while nobody is actually in the rooms!

It is common practice while staying in a dorm to not turn on the lights in the room while you make your way to the bathroom at night – this is out of respect to the other guests in the room. We had several guests who mentioned that you would turn the lights on and leave them on – these guests asked you to use your phone flashlight while making your way to the toilet out of considerations for the others in the room. This is common hostel practice. The other guests were quite upset with your behavior in the dorm during your stay.

In regards to the surfing – the best place for our guests to improve their skills as a beginner is the beach where you were taken to surf. Double Six Beach was perfect for our one star surfers during the days of your stay. We actually had our head surf coach talk to you as your friend said she was not able to swim very well, so in this case Double Six was the best beach to learn surfing as you can stand up in the water while practicing. If you have not surfed we wanted to make sure you were safe and learned in the best place – which was Double Six.

If you decide to check out early once you have arrived to the camp – we charge the full amount as we are not likely to turn around and resell your room the same day. When the Camp Manager gave you this information you tried to leave the camp without paying. We advised against this and you were quite angry and upset with her. While you were packing your bags we wanted to make sure you did not choose to leave the camp without paying so we asked the housekeeping staff to remind you to make this payment before leaving.

Unfortunately all of our cars were busy on surf sessions and airport transfers when you checked out. We asked you to hire a taxi due to heavy rain.
We are upset with your review and think that you should reconsider before staying in a dorm setting again during travel.

Regards,
Kima Surf Management

Reviewed 2 January 2018

I stayed in Kima Green Room Canggu before Christmas 2017 and it could not have been better apart from having more people on the island due to the vulcano. I'm in my late 30's and was a bit worried that it'll be a youth camp, but due to the different booking classes, room types and choice of surf spots there were people of all ages, skills and from all over the world. The community areas are luxury, clean (also pool gets cleaned every day) and have been decorated with a lot of attention to detail to make you feel well - looks like on the pictures. The breakfast is outstanding and you can mix your own choice every day - I highly recommend the Omelette! Instant coffee and drinking water are free, proper coffee/cappucino is charged extra. You can get decent lunch and dinner here as well, but you might want to go to one of Canggu's lively restaurants that offer everything from vegan and hip to local food. I've been to Seminyak town for dinner and party twice during my stay, but for a more relaxed atmosphere and pure surf vibes I would recommend to better stay in Canggu.

When there was no surf, we enjoyed the pool, played billard and cards with the locals or went to the massage that I really enjoyed between surf sessions (about 9€ for 60 minutes). Dirtbike action tours are offered as well, but due to bad weather conditions we couldn't go. The camp is well located to all the local parties, especially the happy hour and weekly events at Old Men's bar in walking distance. The local surfguides are always happy to join. :-)

From the camp you can walk to the Old Man surfspot which is an easy entry advanced beginner - intermediate wave as well as Batu Bulong which is a littlebit more crowded. Renting a scooter gives you more freedom and you can reach spots like eco beach or sandbars within just 10 minutes drive. However, daytrips by car are offered every day, so you can wake up early and go to the Eastern offshore spots during raining/onshore season getting handy tipps from the fun loving surfguides that will refine your techniques or push you in the waves if required. The advanced surfers often went to secret spots and came back either stoked or full of respect. ;-) I didn't bring my own board and hired a almost new board from the camp instead. You can get a board insurance, but it is pretty much useless/overpriced, as a fully broken board (snap) will cost you about 30 € to repair (vs. 50 for the insurance). Might make sense for a long-term stays and rough conditions.

The rooms are spacious and modern. On my bed a comfortable King Coil matress made me sleep well (I recently bought a bed and did some research - they seem to be one of the best). There was a flatscreen TV with DVD player as well, but this could be replaced to a internet ready or Smart TV to be more useful nowerdays. Internet is very strong though, so you might consider to bring your own device for Youtube, Netflix & Co if you need it.
Cleaners came every day to make the room while I was in a surf session - looked tidy every day.

In summary, I recommend the camp due to the very friendly staff, good surf guiding and lots of non-surfing activities. Definitely good value for money!

Room Tip: They're all good, just depends on your budget and what you need.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
KimaSurf1995, Intern at The Green Room Canggu, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2018

Hi Gabelflieger,

Thank you for this wonderful review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Hope to see you back here soon! :)