All reviews new wing heritage room the river rich history modern amenities old glory fresh squeezed juice great place to explore victoria park massive bathroom on display walk in closet new addition glass ceiling send someone food and beverage high speed train
Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

The hotel bar is nice but too smoky. It was so smoke filled that I couldn’t talk after the evening. I was surprised that they still allowed so much smoking indoors. The location is close to the Ritz and about a 15 minute walk to shopping but otherwise not close to much else. Grand architecture and decor. It has a classical style that’s nice but dark.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tianjinandjuice
The Astor Hotel... T, 经理 at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2018

Greetings Guest,

Firstly thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor which is appreciated. We are delighted about the nice words about our building and location. As you said, the smoking problem I already pass this to relevant departments.

However, it is regrettable to hear that for service that have given you a less than satisfactory impression, Please accept our apologies and also please be assured that we are focused on continuous improvement of our guest experiences and this cannot be achieved without honest feedback such as yours.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Life is a collection of experience, let us be your guide.

Reviewed 19 January 2018

This is a historic property and in many ways a lovely one. But my experience fell far short of my expectations. At check in I was asked if I would be okay with a room in the old "historic" part of the building, and I was fine with that. In the event, my room was on the second floor, and had two windows facing an interior courtyard with a glass ceiling where there was a large bar and a gathering place for guests. When I entered the room, it was 24 degrees, and sweltering. I turned off the heat, and tried to open the windows, only to discover that, while they could be opened, the openings were covered with dark wooden shutters in order to maintain the aesthetics of the bar area (and, I suppose, to keep people from peering in my windows). But the effect was that I got the noise of the bar, and the chattering of the people (and later, towards mid-night, the sound of staff using noisy machines to clean the floors of the bar area) but I got no air circulation at all. I spent the entire night sleeping on top of the bed sheets, trying (and failing) to stay cool enough to sleep. The next morning, I asked to be moved. The desk clerk said they would, for my trouble, "upgrade" me to a better room, with a balcony, but again in the "historic" part of the hotel. When I got to the room, I discovered that the room was 25 degrees, and was considerably smaller than my prior room, despite the "upgrade." Nevertheless, it had windows that opened, and I opened the windows and tried to get unpacked. When I opened the only closet, I discovered that they had a piece of furniture inside which held the safe, and places to store folded clothes, and an iron and ironing board, but these took up so much room that the closet could only accommodate two hangers, which was not sufficient to accommodate my suites and shirts, so I had to hang them on the shower bar. The only good thing about this room, in comparison to the larger room I had before, was that with the windows fully open to the winter air it was bearable, despite the fact that the heat was going full-blast. So it is a lovely place, but it is simply not a comfortable or practical place to stay as a guest. So if you are interested in the storied Astor Hotel, I suggest you visit the museum, but stay across the street at the Ritz-Carlton.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
The Astor Hotel... T, 经理 at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2018

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor which is appreciated. We take all comments serious.

I am delighted about the nice words about The Astor Museum which will encourage them even more.

With regrets to hear that your experience some short comings which do not reflect our service standard. I have personally shared your feedback with my concerned team members.

Once again thank you for sharing your observations and we look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely.

Reviewed 16 December 2017

Returning to Beijing, we opted to fly into Tianjin's airport and spend a night at The Astor Hotel prior to returning via high speed train (Beijing-Tianjin by high-speed train takes 35 minutes, with trains departing approx. every 10 minutes). Overall, we found the hotel to be charming and good value, although service could definitely improved and we would have preferred if the public spaces had been fully non-smoking. Had there not been an avoidable incident at checkout this, hotel would have easily earner their 5 stars.

The Astor Hotel is located along the river front, with a modern tower in the front and the more historic wing overlooking a park in the rear. From the airport, it was an approx. 25 minute drive, with the railway station less than 10 minutes away by taxi. While there are some restaurants nearby, Wu Da Dao (the 5 Avenues) is a better choice for going out and is just 20 minutes walk or a short taxi ride away.

We had booked two rooms using a Starwood Pro rate which included an upgrade, breakfast, and a 100 USD food and beverage credit. With reasonable nightly rates, we found the value to be excellent although at check-in, we had to proactively ask the receptionist to explain the benefits. As we would later find out at check-out, it seems hotel staff are not well trained in the benefits and would define food and beverage differently depending on who we spoke to.

We had booked rooms in the historic wing and found them to be charming – four poster beds, high ceilings, modern amenities, and a well stocked bathroom. Our deluxe heritage room even featured a large deck overlooking the park which we would have loved to use had the weather been warmer. All in all we found the room and bed to be comfortable, although did find the box of condoms on display in the bathroom to both be tacky, indiscreet, and had they been used, exceptionally expensive! For a luxury hotel, I would have expected more tact.

We opted to dine at the Chinese restaurant for dinner and found service to be attentive, food delicious, and the overall value for money excellent: for our group of four with several mains and appetizers, the total came out to just 80 USD.

The hotel features a lovely lounge that exudes charm. When we visited in the evening, live music was on offer and we found staff to be helpful and attentive. The only oddity was when we requested a glass of wine to bring back to our room – staff had to verify this was fine with the manager and there was a general feeling that they were afraid their glass wear would go missing.

Breakfast was served in their main dining room and was average. The selection and quality was fine, although it felt staff were somewhat unprepared for the guests and there was some confusion around who had placed the made-to-order soups. Compared with the other hotels we stayed in China, we would have liked the offerings to be a bit higher quality.

Unfortunately check-out left a sour impression of the hotel.

While the room charges were correct, it was only then did they mention to us that food and beverage did not mean alcoholic beverages. Having used this and similar benefits at other hotels, this was both surprising – especially as no restrictions were in the confirmation from Starwood nor was anything mentioned at check-in. Moreover, my wife who spoke with them in Chinese, found the agent to be condensing and accusatory which is completely unacceptable for a luxury hotel or even in the hospitality industry. In the end, after some back and forth, charges were corrected but unfortunately what would have been an exceptional stay was marred by a completely avoidable incident.

While I appreciated the historic nature of the hotel, I doubt we will return to the Astor Hotel.

Room tip: Heritage rooms are a must – especially higher category ones.
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
The Astor Hotel... T, Director of rooms at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

Greetings Aram K

Firstly thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor which is appreciated. We are delighted about the nice words about our room and location. As you said, the historical wing and rooms are one of our unique features which are appreciated by our guests. Alike, Astor Hotel has very strategic location with easy access to most major place in town.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Countless great people who shaped the history of China stayed here and now it is beautifully restored. I can not say enough how I loved the building's design and feel. Sitting in the bar and overlooking the Victoria Park literally transfer you back into the 1900's.
Sadly, the service from the hotel, while warm and helpful, is still average at best, compared to the glory of the building and class of the hotel itself. The room at the old building also needs some facilities upgrade especially the bathroom -- not much a complaint of the hardware itself, but more of the maintenance and service.
So sadly while it's my favourite in Tianjin, I can't give all five-star rating for it. I think it missed a great opportunity to become the rival of Peace Hotel, another great hotel with equally rich history. It could have become so much more!

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank myst_haidian
The Astor Hotel... T, director of rooms at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Dear yongningma

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your constructive comments on TripAdvisor which is appreciated.

With regrets to hear that your experience some short comings which do not reflect our service standards. I have personally shared your feedback with my concerned team members for improvement.

Once again thank you for sharing your observations and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future to show that we can do better.

Yours sincerely.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2017

The old glory of some of the European hotels shines through in this well located hotel. The rooms are very spacious with a master bedroom, seperarte bathroom with shower and tub and a littel "anti-sala" with a walk in closet.
The beds are excellent, the TV program is up to par with what you can have as entertainment in China and the breaksfast was nice. A larger variety could be served but it was well worth the stay. I did not particularly liked the served coffee so I asked for a freshly brewed one which I got without any problem.
Room service was simple and solid but the wines are not listed on the room service menu. The portion of what I ordered was also on the small side,

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
The Astor Hotel... T, 房务总监 at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Dear Mr. Peter,

Greetings from Tianjin!

Thank you for staying with us and for you valuable feedback!
It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our service and spacious rooms.
As you said, Astor hotel is full of history and stories and it is the only hotel which has its own museum to tell the story of its illustrious history.
Thanks for your comments on breakfast, actually we are implementing a number of new signature items to the buffet to ensure our guests' expectations are met.

We look forward to your next stay in our hotel to go ahead your journey to 1800s.

Best Regards,