All reviews mango banana pancakes costa rica intimate boutique hotel private beach every morning small hotel three nights happy hour ocean view squirrel monkeys cafe milagro watch the sunset amazing views included breakfast san jose pura vida
Reviewed 18 October 2018

You can read other reviews about the stunning sunsets, afternoon thunderstorms, monkeys on the roof, toucans and parrots fluttering about, wonderful breakfasts and cozy charm, and I'll confine my review to the staff.

I left behind four surf T-shirts last July, (no value except sentimental to me) after a week's stay, just forgot to get them in our hurry to travel south. I finally realized they were missing later in the trip, and emailed the staff to see if they could ship them back to me in the US. I offered several ways to pay for them but they refused payment. After a month-long delay due to a national strike, my shirts arrived home and safe!

When I think of the hassle factor for them to take time from running a new and challenging (to them anyway -- the previous owners left a colorful legacy) hotel to ship me some funky shirts during a postal strike etc., I have to consider Oscar, Antonio, Brandon, Minor etc. as true friends I would be honored to have.

So I highly recommend this slice of heaven and the angels who run it.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
frntdskreserve, Front Desk at Mango Moon Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2018

Memo, greetings from Mango Moon and thank you so much for taking your time and leave this review.

We feel so happy to know you got back your T-shirts, we were cleared about how important they are for you.
Thank you so much for those words said about our staff. Hope to see you back soon to keep sharing great experiences at our piece of jungle or slice of heaven as you said.

Best regards, Brandon

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

My wife and I loved this place. Oscar, and the whole staff were amazing ,we felt well taking care of the whole stay.When we arrived we were e exhausted from a long flight.They checked us in early and upgraded us. The ocean view was beautiful with monkeys and parrots.

The first night there was a huge storm, they were considerate and checked how were doing.The staff stayed attentive the whole time.Then in the morning ee had an ocean view cooked to otder breakfast presented by a smiling sweet chef. Good beach and food reccomendations,with a wonderful joy.

We will definitely go back.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
frntdskreserve, receptionist at Mango Moon Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2018

Seer, thank you very much for taking your time to write this review.

We feel glad to know that you enjoyed your stay here at Mango Moon, we appreciate you tell us how your experience at Mango Moon was like.

Can´t wait to see you back here soon,Pura Vida

Brandon, Front Desk

Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

Really cute hotel. I can see the attraction for couples. It's very romantic and boutique. However, they don't seem to have a full restaurant (only breakfast), and the pool was a bit small and not heated. The breakfast food we got was nice (toast and fruit), and the front desk staff was really friendly. A bit of a ways to a beach, and the beach "just a km down the road" is a bit more of a journey then it seems. Overall a really nice stay. Would come again as a couple. Views are unreal.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
frntdskreserve, Receptionist at Mango Moon Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Hello Tora P, thanks for taking your time and write about us, it seems you enjoyed your stay here at Mango Moon. Hope you visit us again soon. We are so glad that you felt our Pura Vida vibe, which is something we want every guest to feel.

Yes you are right!
We are working on it to improve some other facts to bring a better experience.
It's a pleasure, it's the golden rule

Kind Regards,
Antonio Aguilar Mesen
Mango Moon Villa, Frontdesk

Reviewed 29 September 2018

We had a wonderful time at Mango Moon. The staff was helpful and pleasant, the accommodations were great. We had a suite facing the ocean just above the pool. The sun got really intense in the late afternoon as it prepared to set, but we pulled the curtains and the room was filled with a beautiful light.

Food is available and is brought in from several nearby restaurants. We had an amazing breakfast on the terrace there. The bar and main gathering room is beautiful with the same marvelous view of the ocean. Their pina colladas were the best I've had, but then the setting was so amazing.

Our hostess, Donna, was wonderful to work with and very helpful during our stay.

Howler monkeys are your alarm clock and the pool is small but great on a hot afternoon.

The hotel is close to everything in Manuel Antonio. We were there in March of 2017 and my wife returned in October of that year. We will go back!!

Room tip: Rooms to the sides have less bright sun in the afternoons.
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
frntdskreserve, receptionist at Mango Moon Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2018

Hello, thank you very much for leaving this review. We are so glad to know you had a great time here at Mango Moon.

The doors will always be open to host you at our piece of jungle. Pura Vida.!

Brandon, Front Desk

Reviewed 15 September 2018

My travel to this property was earlier this year and I was reminded to create a review as I am planning another trip to the area! We drove the 4ish hours from San Jose to Mango Moon without any incident. The roads are all highway and easy to navigate. The property is close to the beach- technically walk-able BUT you don't want to make that walk, trust me! Its pretty steep and uneven with cars passing you from time to time- much better to drive. You can drive right onto the beautiful beach which is easy to manage with a 4x4 vehicle, a must if you are renting in CR! There are options along the beach to rent surf boards which some of our group did for a reasonable hourly rate. We saw some of the staff on the ocean surfing on their "off" day. :) Mango Moon is a sweet, older property. The opposite of the mega resorts you often find in these areas. I much prefer to have personal and meaningful encounters with staff, it enriches the travel experience! As previous reviews have stated, the rooms themselves are a bit dated but again, this is pretty common for smaller properties in CR so it was expected. This property has personality and charm. Its smaller so allows for more personalized service. One uncommon feature for this size/style property is that each room DOES have AC which was nice to enjoy after warm days on the beach and in the park. The views from the hotel are a selling point, so incredibly lovely!

I suggest stopping on the way to grab bottled waters, sodas or snacks that you may want as these are not available at the hotel. There are small stores in walking distance that provide a good variety of these items.

Plan on paying extra for the breakfast so that you can sit and fill your belly with more than fruit and toast as you look out over the mountainside onto the ocean OR if you prefer a more diverse breakfast menu or a specialty coffee you can walk to Cafe Milagro, we did this 2 mornings and it was both delicious and a nice walk to begin the day. We found that breakfast cost was comparable to the hotel and much more satisfying for the taste buds. There are plenty of restaurants in the area- many of them walk-able. I also recommend Emilio's Cafe for a dinner, tasty options and more great views with refreshing breezes flowing through.

I understand that the property is under new management so I dont know that this is a point to consider but the reservation and payment process was a bit of a struggle from start to finish. I booked directly with the hotel and received ZERO communication from the time of booking (they charged my credit card) until I showed up at the property despite multiple attempts to verify my reservation which was anxiety inducing and pretty frustrating. The manager (at the time) adjusted my bill to accommodate for this and for a mishap in the availability of the room that I booked with a partial refund which I appreciated... though he couldn't quite figure out the conversion rate and how to put money back onto a CC. It got figured out, just not a perfect situation. Again, this may not be valid as the management looks to be different.

Date of stay: January 2018
1  Thank kelly h
frntdskreserve, receptionist at Mango Moon Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Hello Kelly H, thank you for this review it seems you enjoyed your stay here at Mango Moon. Hope you visit us again soon. We are so glad that you felt our Pura Vida vibe, which is something we want every guest to feel. We are still working hard to improve some other factsto bring a better experience.

Best regards, Brandon