All reviews jungle walk other guests friendliest staff fiji time boat transfer hot water shower communal dining reef shoes sound of the waves laid back local staff vinaka vakalevu high maintenance the managers fijian staff a special place solar panels
Reviewed 8 July 2017

My husband and I have just come back just come back from a fabulous holiday in Maqui, Qamea Island.
We arent perhaps the typical guest to visit this resort, we are grey haired and I am not particularly happy in the water, but we loved it, even the boat transfer which took me out of my comfort zone, but the helmsman looked after us really well and I trusted him implicitly.
Whilst we were there we met surfers, divers, honeymooners and intrepid single lady travellers and we made some great friends and were all treated equally well,and even all our food preferences catered for :) We had a great trip to the local village on the sporting bank holiday which was a truely unique experience.
We were more than happy with the management at Maqai which under Mels capable hands ran seamlessly throughout our stay, and we were pleased to note that the Kiwi owners were encouraging the local Fijians to take more managerial positions, we have visited so many resorts which we have found are spoilt by introducing European managers who spoil the feel of the place by introducing their own ideas and have no empathy with the local people, the people make Maqai.
Do not come to Maqai if : You are wanting a 5 star resort, hot water showers and internet, and this is not a party resort, though I can imagine it could get a little riotous if there were a large group staying - but do come here to experience the friendliest staff, enjoy reading and relaxing, simple burres, communal eating and varied water sports .
A special note to all the staff - Bula and Vinaka to Mel, Betta, Lucy, Netta, Ba, Villie, Mike, Jim, Fabian, Sammy and to Suki the dog ( sorry if I have missed anyone!)

Room Tip: The waves are noisey - what else would you expect when you are right next to the ocean!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wackersGoldenBay
Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

We stayed 4 days - but could have stayed much longer! The hospitality is great, the food its one of the best in Fiji and the tours are awesome. We did fishing and snorkeling (have seen lots of fishes and a wreck). Also there are many free activities such as Kayak, Snorkel at the beautiful own House-reef, jungle walk. We loved to just stay at the wonderful beach and enjoy the sun in one of the hammocks and play with Suki!!! A highlight is also snorkeling in the cristal clear sea just few steps from the bure. Thanks a lot to Jeff, Luzy, Willy, Uli and all the others! If we can manage somehow, we will return the end of June. We will surely recommend this paradise to all our friends who will come to Fiji!!! Vinaka very much! By the way: we don't like Kava. But we love it :)

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mijito_78
Jeff G, Manager at Maqai Beach Eco Surf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2017

Dear Phillip and Madalene, thank you for your great review!....It was fun meeting you and we are happy you had a good time here!....Best regards from all of us here at Maqai and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Fiji!

Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

I lived and worked in Fiji or 2 months and did some traveling afterwards, so I saw quite a lot of it. But this place is my favorite. Its perfectly remote on an island without cars or roads. It has its on Surfbreak in front of resort, where you'll be surfing with only a few more other people.
The hotel itsself just won the sustainability tourist award in Fiji. They get their water from a near spring and their energy from solar panels. The place itsself is very familiar. All guests sit together at the same table and eat together. The massages are great. The setting is out of this world. The beach is beautiful. Good snorkeling off that beach. They offer tours to the tourist attractions like the Bouma falls or the Lavena Coastal trail. The staff is absolutely friendly and they come sit with you at night and play the guitar and sing songs. The Bure's are simple but comfortable and clean and provide everything you need.
You sleep while listening to the waves.
I highly recommend this place to everyone.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank regrebaeht
Reviewed 28 March 2017

Maqai is the place to go if you want to get away from it all and enjoy the island life. There's plenty to do, if you're inclined, snorkeling, hiking, day trips, and more. Or take it easy in the hammock, listen to waves and watch the tide roll in. Solar panels provide power and the food is locally grown and prepared. All very sustainable and tasty. Perhaps most important, good folks and good vibes all around.

Room Tip: During rainy season expect rain throughout the night and sometimes during the day, but still lots of sun.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danny H
Jeff G, General Manager at Maqai Beach Eco Surf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2017

Danny H Thank you for your kind review. I was not at the resort during your stay but I am glad that our staff took good care of you and you had an enjoyable time!

Reviewed 25 March 2017

I stayed in Maqai for 5 nights and had a wonderful time there!
Its perfect to get away from the rest for the world a few days and enjoy some beach life wether it´s surfing, snorkeling, kayaking or just reading a good book.
The resort is really cosy and familiar and i felt welcome there right from the beginning.
The staff is very helpful and nice.
I especially enjoyed the excellent cooking with fresh and regional ingredients! it was delicious!
i also liked suki, the little dog very much, who is friendly to everybody, goes swimming with you and even warns you when poisonous snakes come out of the water!
Vinaka vaka levu to everybody at Maqai! Thanks for making my stay there so great!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank sabrinarei
Jeff G, Manager at Maqai Beach Eco Surf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2017

Thank you Sabrina for your review. We are all very glad you enjoyed your time here with us. It was fun meeting you and being your host for your stay!...We hope you have great memories of Maqai while travelling around Australia and all the other exciting destinations you have planned!.If you ever return to Fiji you are always welcome to give us a call or visit again...Suki says thank you and hello!....best regards from all of us here at Maqai!