Lowest prices for your stay
$1,066
$874
Breakfast included
Easy and fast booking
Emily Major
Absolutely amazing - please go for us as I want to go back so badly!
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 3 Jan 2023
You will LOVE Musket Cove - trust me! Here's an honest review of our trip, with positives and (some less important) negatives.

Some context: my partner and I visited here for 7 days over Christmas up until New Year's Eve. We are a young couple with no children and chose this vacation with the goal of relaxing and snorkelling.

Positives:
+ Absolutely wonderful staff. Everyone was so welcoming and you truly understood where the Fijian kindness comes from. I truly hope the staff are paid much more than minimum wage considering how much we are paid. They all deserve it.
+ Beautiful grounds with stunning views. In my opinion, it is much more well-kept in comparison to Plantation Island (neighbouring resort you can walk to). The beach was absolutely beautiful.
+ Buffet was delicious. I am vegan and my partner is not. I was able to always find something to eat (some days were better than others). They were notified ahead of time of my diet, so ensured that there was scrambled tofu in the morning for "eggs" (use salt haha) and soy milk for coffee/cereal. I also got some specialised meals delivered to our table (though there was a negative attached to this as communication about how these non-buffet meals worked wasn't clear and I had no idea how to order this... see communication negative below).
+ Bure was gorgeous. We can't afford much, so just got the garden bure, but it was great. The bed was comfy and we had a mini fridge area. The air con was a huge plus with the humidity!
+ Snorkeling off the beach was AMAZING. Walk past the Island bar to the very tip and there's a hidden snorkeling reef. You can borrow snorkelling gear from the Marina staff (though I highly, highly recommend bringing your own set to avoid them being out of stock as they don't have many adult sets).
+ Free sandbar snorkelling was fabulous. We really enjoyed these excursions and they were free with our stay.
+ The excursions were awesome and the Shell Village tour was a must-do. It helps give you a cultural experience and the opportunity to purchase gifts and souvenirs for affordable prices that also help the local economy.
+ Get a massage - it's more than worth it.
+ Did I mention the staff?? Dick's Place staff were phenomenal - literally angels on earth. We are a childless couple and had a favourite table to sit at. It was reserved for us when the staff realised we always favoured that one over others - and the staff remembered our names and drink orders. You truly get an idea of how wonderful Fijians are even with a week stay.

Negatives:
- Communication in general really needed to be improved. This isn't anything negative about the staff because they are all fantastic, but the lack of communication when you arrive was very, very confusing for us. We didn't know what was or was not included and where things were or what activities were available for us to do. Some sort of book in our room would have really helped as we had no idea how the meal plan worked (the Trader Cafe has prices on their food items, which we didn't understand as food was supposed to be covered). We eventually figured it out, but that was after a lot of confusing trial and error. This could have really been fixed on day 1 with some sort of comprehensive brouchure or something that explained it all.
- Not really about the resort, but the bugs were crazy. Please bring strong insect repellent and anti-itch cream. We went in the wet season, so this was expected, but please remember this to save yourself.
- Budget for drinks - it's very easy to get carried away haha. The alcohol is slightly less expensive in comparison to NZ (where I live), so it's not very cheap given how much it costs to buy these items on the mainland. But if you monitor your spending, you'll be fine.
- The boutique shop was confusing. I was expecting some more souvenirs, but it was a mashup of a bunch of random items that were either extremely expensive or not related to Fiji. It also didn't really include things you'd expect to find in a resort shop (for example, my partner needed flip flops after his broke and they had none at the shop). You can buy Pure Fiji products though, which I was obsessed with at the end (the depo gel, I think it's called, was amazing for soothing bug bites). However, overall, the shop is overly expensive (especially considering Fijian minimum wage being under $5 Fijian and bags in there costing $400 Fijian dollars).
- I'm not sure what the labour laws are at the resort, but so many of the wonderful staff were there until the buffet/bar closed at night and then there in the early morning to set up for breakfast. They never complained and were always happy and cheerful, but I seriously hope the owners/management take very good care of their staff and giving them a suitable salary. I saw an older Australian woman who I think was the owner there, so if anyone near her reads this, please tell her to prioritise this as many other guests felt the same as we talked about how great the resort was, but hope the staff are benefitting from our money as well.
- Bring your own snorkeling gear (and/or anti-fog spray). Many of the people at the resort didn't do many activities (we did almost all of them haha), but when snorkelling excursions go out (and you didn't go), there weren't many masks left and some did or did not work well. It was rather frustrating to get all the way out to a reef and to have a mask that kept fogging up or leaking.
- For us, the deepwater snorkel wasn't worth it. It was an additional $35 Fijian dollars per person to go, but my mask kept fogging up and it ruined the whole experience. On the boat ride back, we talked about how the free sandbar and beach snorkel was better.
Date of stay: November 2022
$387
16.4 km from Musket Cove Island Resort & Marina, Fiji
View more hotels in Malolo Lailai Island
1,075 results
All reviews dicks place trader cafe garden bure malolo cat fish yacht club low tide main restaurant curry night deep water free activities bbq pack laid back sand bar sand bank relaxing holiday main pool
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 December 2022

Musket cove a terrific place to go and unwind , meals were of a high standard at Dick's Place also a good selection of light meals at Trader Cafe Island bar great for cocktails at night , will return again

Date of stay: November 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2022 via mobile

We stayed in a beachfront bure and had the most relaxing few days at Musket Cove Resort. We were last there about 13 years ago, and felt very relaxed again as soon as we stepped off the boat. The place has been massively upgraded since then, and the upgrades appear to be ongoing. There are a few organised activities, but it is mainly very quiet. The food choices were good for the meal packages, especially the lunches. The staff were friendly and very obliging. I would go back tomorrow!

Date of stay: August 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank 487kathyq
Reviewed 6 November 2022

The island was nice and very chilled. Very limited access to internet/ phone signal or wifi (so really off the grid). Due to recent heavy rain, the geckos came out and a number of them entered our villa and crawled over the ceiling which freaked the kids out (especially when one fell onto the bed).
DO NOT purchase the 'dolphin safari' activity at FJ100 per person as it is a fake service (ie asking locals afterward they said there are never any dolphons).
Food was ok, the staff were very friendly. Watch out you dont step on the multitude of frogs that come oiut in the evening.
Can walk across to Plantation Island.

Date of stay: September 2022
3  Thank mattr606
Reviewed 1 November 2022

We stayed at Musket Cove for a week in late October as a family. If you are after a low key, chilled and relaxing holiday this is the place. There are plenty of activities available if you want them, but plenty of quiet time as well. We had the Garden Bures at the far end which were lovely, private and quiet. I think the biggest thing we noticed was how friendly the staff were. Even before we arrived I had to impose on the front office staff and ask them to assist in organising after hours transfers due to plane delays. We were going to arrive too late to make the scheduled services....not their fault. As I touched down in Nadi and turned on my phone I received a message with all my new instructions. As a result I was out on the island 1.5 hrs later rather than trying to find accom on the mainland for the night and missing a day. All the staff interactions we had were lovely from Mere and Gloria in the front office to Lice and Max in the restaurant area. Whilst I have named some staff, all staff we saw were great.

Although Musket Cove was full it never appeared crowded, in comparison to a neighbouring resort that had the feel of a caravan park. It was such a relaxing holiday and all the family loved it....would definitely go again.

Date of stay: October 2022
3  Thank 887MichaelW887
Reviewed 18 October 2022 via mobile

We went for a company teambonding trip with our family and we absolutely enjoyed it! From the beautiful blue ocean, to the delicious meals and friendly staff. Because this was our first trip to the resort, we were given a complimentary trip to the Malolo Sand Bar for snorkeling which was beautiful! I really enjoyed the meals, and the dinners are buffet. The desserts were also equally delicious 🤤
We stayed in one of the Garden Bure’s which was really nice, the beds were comfortable and there’s aircon but it also had two ceiling fans. One for the bedroom and the other for the sitting room. The bathroom had everything except for a bath soap. There was shower gel available but I prefer using a bath soap and I’m not sure if this was the same for every room, but our room didn’t have a bath soap so we had to buy one from the Store (or shop) on the island. Oh yes, there’s a Store that sells everything you would find at a supermarket, juice, snacks, fruits and veges.
All in all it was really nice, I really enjoyed the trip and would definitely go again.

Vinaka Vakalevu Musket Cove!!

Date of stay: October 2022