I find Riverview Home very aptly named as one of the chief impressions that I take away from the place is its homeliness and comfortable domestic interior. It stands out also, of course, in various other aspects:
1) Atmosphere: I cannot help but to emphasise the homey ambiance of the place, as well as the quiet peace that comes with it. As I was travelling with a group that consisted of a mix of youths and a middle-aged woman (my mother), I couldn’t just simply book a dorm bed. Quiet, comfort, and something resembling home were what my mom was looking for in this trip away from the city, and Riverview Home was splendid in giving her all that. She particularly liked the way it was furnished to resemble a familial dwelling that catered to various needs in spite of its limited space; and the luxurious, chalet-room décor is an added plus, particularly after a tiring day of roaming the streets.
2) Facilities: Very well-equipped! It is limited in terms of its width/breadth, but makes up for it in its two-floored design. The first floor is made up of a room that caters up to four people, a common area, and a small kitchenette/dining area; whereas the second floor houses the master bedroom for two people. Great areas for people to gather around for a brief planning session or discussions. Both floors are air-conditioned and have their own toilets, and all are clean and equipped with hot water and shower. There’s even a bathtub in the toilet on the second floor. Televisions are also provided on both floors (Astro and local channels on first floor; only local channels on the second), and wifi signal is strong. Perhaps the only drawback in terms of its facilities is that there is a slight leak in the toilet on first floor, but it should be fixed by now.
3) Location: Strategic as it is very near Jonker Street. Pretty close to food, entertainment, historical areas, and whatnot. It is necessary to mention, however, that the duplex is a little difficult to find because from the street, it is only a small, discreet door sandwiched between two shops, so one might require some guidance and landmarks from Mani and Raymond in order to find it.
4) Hospitality and security & privacy: As always, Mani and Raymond were very, very helpful with their recommendations and advices on where to go, what to do, and how to go. They were also very friendly and welcoming, providing us with a map of the local area and suggestions of interesting sights that we might be interested in. In terms of security and privacy of the duplex – it is pretty safe. There are both regular locks and coded door locks, so we were not worried at all about our belongings and privacy once in the Home.
5) Bonus: The balcony area on the second floor faces the Malacca River, and it is a wonderful place for an evening observation/night watch/stargazing session. I turned it into my reading/devotion place while the rest of my family partied at the common area, and it was pretty peaceful and relaxing. It’s nice how one can find little quiet nooks like these for one’s own personal use in the duplex; there is a pleasant divide that allows for both private and group moments.
6) Overall verdict: Perfect for group travelers who want a little more than just a bed at the end of the day. It caters to a wide variety of needs; if guests do not feel like going out to explore the area for the day, they can still stay in and be entertained via the television, etc. It’s definitely worth the money; very reasonably priced.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||Older travelers|
|Families with young children||Large groups|