“Don't go here, animal abuse”

Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

We were taken here while on holiday and were horrified og gode the elephants was treated. I would not recommend it to anyone, and will never gi again. God on safari in national parks instead.

13  Thank Renni123
Write a ReviewReviews (3,616)
All reviews
in 156 reviews
"trunk"
in 66 reviews

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

An amazing day watching orphan elephants being feed and playing in the river. Relaxing sunny morning. A little more commercialised than when I last visited thirty years ago. Lovely to see lots of families visiting.

1  Thank Craig A
Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

I was grabbed by the scene as soon as I saw elephants taking bath in the river. I missed the feeding time, but enjoyed getting close to baby elephants. However, I am not if they were really happy being there. Most of them were chained and the keepers didn't seem very kind to them. I understand they were considering visitirs safety, but could be more soft.
The entrance fee was a little expensive. You can enjoy shopping handicrafts in the place. I appreciated the recovery factory which tranforms elepahts' excretions to paper- based stuff such as calendars, notebooks and accessories. Enjoy having fresh king coconut juice too!

2  Thank Morvarid R
Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

It is about an hour far from Colombo, but I enjoyed the view during getting there. I was firstly grabbed by seeing the wlepants taking shower in the river. Many handicraft shops are available there. You can enjoy having fresh king coconut juice. The attraction of the site to me was the recycling factory which used the elephants' excretions to produce paper- based items such as calendar, notebooks, accessories, ...
Worth visiting!

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

I didn’t stay long as it was quite late in the day, but I managed to get up close to the elephants and stroke them. I was also allowed to feed them bananas which was a great experience.

I would advise going early in the day to make the most of the elephants however, as I had seen elephants during my stay anyway, getting up close to these was a new and welcoming experience.

1  Thank Jay S