“Order beer here, not food”
Review of Bad Monkey

Bad Monkey
Ranked #8 of 146 Restaurants in Dali
Cuisines: American, Chinese, Pizza, British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Description: Welcome to Bad Monkey, Bad Monkey is Dali's longest running foreign owned bar (open since 2003) Located in the heart of Dali Old Town, Yunnan, southwest China but set away from the jostling crowds of shoppers, Bad Monkey Brew Pub is a real gem. Bad Monkey operates its own brewery set in a stunning location with a famous ancient spring, using all imported ingredients to make southwest China's only craft beer! Bad Monkey boasts the best in craft brewed beers and exciting cocktails with an unpretentious buzzing atmosphere every night of the week. Regular live music, great food, pool table, fully stocked western bar, huge range of drinks and hookah flavors, and friendly staff coupled with the fact that we really know how to throw a party: At Bad Monkey, you're guaranteed a good night, making us one of Dali's most popular bars for years running. We are also open daily from 8.30Am, serving monster breakfasts, lunch and dinner throughout the day, with or without absinthe and beer. Come along and have a drink or two and find out what all the fuss is about.....
Reviewed 5 March 2021 via mobile

It needs to be understood that this establishment should only be visited for live music and alcoholic beverages, and not their food. When it comes to the quality of their bar, I’d have to say they are top 5 in this town, but definitely one of the worst in terms of quality of food. Their Sunday roasts used to be good, but I have no idea if they do them anymore. They also brew their own beer and have live music almost every night. They are one of the very few establishments that have survived here, and have been serving for over 10 years. Definitely the oldest bar in the whole of other old town. Prices vary, but I’d say they are in the medium-high area

Date of visit: April 2020
Write a reviewReviews (149)

Reviewed 23 January 2020

When arriving in Dali, I was told to check out this bar, and I am glad I did. The food is good especially the burgers and chips, my daughter loves the cheese and bacon toasted sandwiches which is good as she is fussy about what she eats at the moment. I ordered the smoke house burger it arrived and it looks like it does on the menu, the toasted sandwich arrived a couple of minutes later with a banana milkshake. The management came over to check on us and were great especially Scott (I think that is his name). The atmosphere during lunch was relaxed, the staff were mostly attentive and we had a good time. I also came back for the big Hungry mans breakfast the next day which was just like I would have in England. Definitely a place to visit while in Dali.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed 27 December 2019

Bad Monkey was my go to place in Dali. I cannot speak Chinese , am a pure vegetarian, who missed Cheese in China. My standard order was the cheese sandwiches— which was both comforting and easy to order as the staff spoke English.
Certainly a pub worth visiting!!

Reviewed 22 December 2019

Bad monkey is a really good fun, with a great live music. Perfect location with a good atmosphere. Must go

Reviewed 22 December 2019 via mobile

The house beer is wonderful. I was not expecting to get a good microbrew in Dali. The burger is delicious. The band was amazing, they played a good mix of rock and pop hits from the 1960’s to present day. The Bad Monkey has an inviting and relaxed atmosphere, the steam punk decor is a nice touch.