“In a town with lots of new great restaurants, don't forget Johns”
Review of John's City Diner

John's City Diner
Reserve with OpenTable
John's City Diner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 1,041 Restaurants in Birmingham
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2018

We decided to go back to Johns after many years of basically forgetting that its there. Sounds bad, I know. It was great. I went with a family of 5. They have a smallish selection of local beer. We ordered the hangover which was awesome, the Mac and cheese, the meatloaf (also awesome) a JCD burger and pork chop. We had the pimento cheese appetizer. We really had a great time and will not wait so long to come back. The only reason for 4 instead of 5 stars is that there was a delay in the food coming out, but the server was very honest about it and was apologetic, and the pork chop was very dry to the point it was difficult to even cut.

Reviewed 13 August 2018

I tend to order chicken and waffles frequently, and John's prepares it uniquely with large pieces of chicken, bones and all. Lunch was a pleasure, with good service and reasonable pricing. The restaurant at lunchtime appears to cater to local office workers, with many businesses within walking distance. Worth a visit if/when in the local area.

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Great dinner and service! I had the fish and chips based on the reviews and they were excellent! Husband had chicken and waffles and thought they were also great! Again, based on reviews, thought we would try the peanut butter pie. Our server, Robyn (who was also great) suggested the white chocolate bread pudding! It was delicious and did not disappoint! We will be back!

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Been here a few times for lunch and it’s always good. My go to is the South Pacific chicken salad. I have heard the chicken and waffles are great here but have not tried them yet, they are in my list. Burgers ordered at the table looked great and everyone said they were.

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

I had the Hangover chicken and bacon waffles. The waffle was perfectly cooked and and the chicken was juicy and tender. Try their whole okra too; it's delicious!

Date of visit: July 2018