“C’était gentil mais aussi un peu moyen”
Review of Chez Nous

Chez Nous
Ranked #45 of 4,242 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: A family owned and operated Casual French Bistro in downtown Austin since 1982
Reviewed 7 October 2018

A pretty good though not great luncheon last Wednesday with a party of four. We arrived around 1 PM and were immediately seated by the pleasant host. The waiter / owner took our order soon thereafter, and we began with a refreshing rosé for the table. It was a good complement to the chilled cucumber mint gazpacho I ordered as appetizer, and decent accompaniment to my main dish, truite meunière.

Like the entire luncheon experience, my soup was pretty good, though not great. It felt a bit too cold for its own good, so I have to assume it was made well in advance and conserved in the fridge for an extended period. Given my own experience preparing traditional gazpacho, I was amused by the “French” variation concentrating on just one vegetable, but it didn’t completely wow me. Similarly, the trout was initially impressive, but after a few bites, the oil/butter overpowered my palette, and the omnipresent potato balls couldn’t save it, although the green beans al dente were quite good until the end.

My Greek Canadian colleague was far more disappointed and left half her fish. In contrast, she and another colleague both ordered and quickly consumed the crème brûlée for desert. I opted out because of my aversion to daytime sugar.

I was able to observe the presentation of the rack of lamb that another one of my colleagues ordered. There were two chops delivered, not three, and while they might have tasted good, the plate looked dreadfully bare – no herbs, no sauce, no vegetables. Quel dommage!

In all, I enjoyed the meal somewhat, but whenever I eat French, I expect a bit more. Chez Nous delivered a bit less. An average experience warrants three stars on the Cherry Wonderdog scale.

2  Thank Cherry_Wonderdog
sybil r, Owner at Chez Nous, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you so much for your thorough feed back, we are very sorry you were disappointed but appreciate your comments as we are always working to better ourselves... hope one day we can climb up the Cherry Wonderdog scale !

Reviewed 28 August 2018

I went with my son in July 2018. We had a very pleasant dinner, mostly because the service was superb. The place was very clean and neat. The food was ok. I had the trout fillet with butter and parsley for dinner and it was just ok.

sybil r, Owner at Chez Nous, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

Thank you for giving us your feed back, this is always helping us to grow but we are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations, hoping you will give us another chance !

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Impeccable service! Try the scallops they were to DIE FOR and the Crème Broule was amazing! Our wine glasses and water were always full and the place was quiet. Parking just down the street at a public area and 6th street is very close.

sybil r, Owner at Chez Nous, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

So glad you had a good time.....thank you for sharing your good words !

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

We were having one of those days where everything just lined up right.

I wanted to surprise the wife, as she was traveling for a bit, and this was her last night in Texas for a few weeks. We followed the gps to the joint, and surprisingly enough, a spot opened up rightist front.... We were seated immediately. Once seated, it was tricky trying to decide exactly what we wanted beyond the escargot. But, the staff was quite helpful, and extremely attentive. We settled on trout and scallops. Both were stunning. The trout came with a very tasty salad, which had the lightest and most subtle dressing I can remember. The escargot were delightful, smothered in a wonderful wine garlic sauce, with mushrooms. We could have settled for that all day long... The main dishes were spectacular. The trout was fresh and tasty, with the right creamy sauce. Quite delicious. I like to think the scallops won this round, served with an excellent buttery cream sauce... Desert was the crime brûlée and home made caramel. Both were excellent, but the crime brûlée was the best..

The atmosphere was quite nice, while the service was outstanding. Very polite, and attentive.

I can highly reccomend this little spot.

sybil r, Owner at Chez Nous, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

A big thank you for your heartwarming words !!!

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

After seeing the high online ratings I chose to celebrate my birthday at Chez Nous. My husband and I have traveled extensively through France and have an appreciation for French cuisine and wines. Even though I’ve lived in Austin over 30-years this was my first time to dine at Chez Nous and hoped to relive memories of dining experiences in France.

My first surprise was the padded plastic table clothes but I stayed open to being surprised by the food. However, it became increasingly difficult when the wine list proved to be sub par, the glassware was cloudy with lime deposits, the posters and pictures on the wall were faded, and the interior was out of date.

While our food wasn’t bad it lacked the thoughtful, technical finesse that you expect with French cuisine. The food wasn’t anything that I would return to eat again - and especially at the price of $38 for the rack of lamb served with white beans and a very small bundle of green beans.

The best thing about our experience was the staff - they were friendly and gracious!

If you are looking for a great French dining experience this is, unfortunately, not the place to go.

1  Thank mbchalk
sybil r, Owner at Chez Nous, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

So very sorry we disappointed you ...tres desoles...