“Lunch at Hoover's”

Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: University of Texas
Reviewed 16 September 2017

Hoover's is a very laid back, simple décor restaurant. They have a very good menu with lunch specials that include old favorites such as chicken fried steak, meat loaf, fried catfish, and pork chops. They have some great salads and sandwiches. I had one of their lunch specials, chicken and dumplings, on my last visit. I love their sides--pinto and green beans, carrots, fried okra, mashed potatoes. I often get a vegetable plate since I love their home cooked vegetables. Service is good and I always enjoy the food.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

I had the delicious bronzed catfish with sides of fried okra, Caribbean rice, creamed Spinach. only negative is the spinach was a tad watery. My friend had the Chicken and Dumplings and enjoyed them.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

The fried catfish was good, the mustard greens were a bit sweet the the chili sauce took care of that; but the green beans took the prize. Solid home style cooking.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

Landed and wife was hungry for catfish. Personally, not big on catfish, but reviews were ok on chicken fried steak so why not. Got there about 8pm on a Sat night. Almost full, but immediately seated. Waitress was prompt and took our drink order. We collectively tried chicken fried steak, catfish, jalepemo spinach, Mac and cheese, butter beans and okra. CFS was just ok, portion good, but simply nothing to it. Creamed jalepeno spinach was a huge disappointment. Never been near a jalapeño. Bland taste at best. Mac and cheese just ok too. Catfish was again just ok. My personal opinion is that at one time this place might have been out of this world. Waitress was asked for several things (additional napkin, to go box (really ashamed to leave this much on plate when someone with us has a dog). Never asked us for refills. Tried to order dessert, but first returned with "we only have one banana pudding left so who wants this one and you all will have to choose something else." It was the last and who know what bananas taste like when they have been out too long! Brownie was reheated in microwave and other dessert was left too. I'm truly sorry, but I cannot think of a reason to try this place again. It was just not what I expect from a restaurant. OBTW. On the way out we were carrying out leftovers and a nice bartender asked, why we didn't ask our waitress fora bag? We told him, we did, 2 times. He personally went in the back and brought it to us. The only thing the waitress did right the first time was she hit the tray holding the tip like a duck after a June bug. Hint! If you want a truly great chicken fried steak, try tip top restaurant in San Antonio on Fredericksburg road. Worth the drive.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

My mom took me here and I was shocked at the home cooking style that was displayed in each dish I ate. Homecooking is a missed virtue.

Been to Hoover's Cooking? Share your experiences!