“Can't get a 3 rating even with a push.”
Review of Hoover's Cooking

Hoover's Cooking
Ranked #242 of 3,833 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighbourhood: University of Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2017

Landed and wife was hungry for catfish. Personally, not big on catfish, but reviews were ok on chicken fried steak so why not. Got there about 8pm on a Sat night. Almost full, but immediately seated. Waitress was prompt and took our drink order. We collectively tried chicken fried steak, catfish, jalepemo spinach, Mac and cheese, butter beans and okra. CFS was just ok, portion good, but simply nothing to it. Creamed jalepeno spinach was a huge disappointment. Never been near a jalapeño. Bland taste at best. Mac and cheese just ok too. Catfish was again just ok. My personal opinion is that at one time this place might have been out of this world. Waitress was asked for several things (additional napkin, to go box (really ashamed to leave this much on plate when someone with us has a dog). Never asked us for refills. Tried to order dessert, but first returned with "we only have one banana pudding left so who wants this one and you all will have to choose something else." It was the last and who know what bananas taste like when they have been out too long! Brownie was reheated in microwave and other dessert was left too. I'm truly sorry, but I cannot think of a reason to try this place again. It was just not what I expect from a restaurant. OBTW. On the way out we were carrying out leftovers and a nice bartender asked, why we didn't ask our waitress fora bag? We told him, we did, 2 times. He personally went in the back and brought it to us. The only thing the waitress did right the first time was she hit the tray holding the tip like a duck after a June bug. Hint! If you want a truly great chicken fried steak, try tip top restaurant in San Antonio on Fredericksburg road. Worth the drive.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

My mom took me here and I was shocked at the home cooking style that was displayed in each dish I ate. Homecooking is a missed virtue.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Good home cooking. Good wait staff. Reasonably priced. Chicken-fried steak was over battered, with barely any meat.

Reviewed 18 July 2017

I am struggling with giving this a very good or average rating. It used to be excellent but has lost so much of the home-cooked flavor that I came here for. I just had their Saturday special, smothered pork chops. The gravy had that instant flavor that comes from a pouch of dry ingredients instead of the real deal. Greeted very coldly even though they were not busy. I asked for a table of four, two people were finishing a phone call in the parking lot. They would not seat us until the arrived. I then said, OK two people. The greeter gave me a very dirty look and took two menus to a table. By the time we actually sat down, the rest of the party joined us. We never got two more menus. The service was excellent once seated. I have been coming here for years and each time it takes me longer to come back. It had been at least 4 years and I'm sure I can make it another 5 before going back. The prices are high as well for Austin standards for lunch.

1  Thank gregntommy
Reviewed 9 July 2017

I visited here with my family after seeing Hoover's on the Travel Channel. I'm embarrassed, becasue I've never heard of Hoover's Cooking and they've been in business for over 15 years! It is truly a local place with some of the best food that we've ever had. The menu is varied and loaded with down home main dishes and sides. It reminded us a lot of Low Country cooking in South Carolina. I'm not a big chicken fried steak lover because it's usually greasy and the meat is tough and full of grissle. Well, I read about the CFS at Hoover's, I ordered it and it is THE BEST CHICKEN FRIED STEAK I've ever had! It was so tender I cut it with my fork -- no knife needed. The sides I chose (that was the hardest decision on the menu because they have so many choices to choose from) were collard greens, mashed potatoes and yams. They were outstanding. Another in my party got the BBQ chicken along with collard greens, butter beans & mashed potatoes. The same rave reviews as mine. The other ordered the meat loaf with carrots, yams and creamed spinach -- they made it thumbs up unanimous on everything. There are so many things on the menu we'd like to try and I wish they offered a sampler platter. The service was incredible and the prices were reasonable. Austinites need to make this secret known around the area because it is truly a gem on the eastside of I-35.

Been to Hoover's Cooking? Share your experiences!