Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
AlexLL22

Paradise Found.

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 19 Mar 2024
I disagree with the previous negative reviews regarding the “terrible fishing.” Tropic Star Lodge is home to over 300+ IGFA records. The fact that the previous disgusting reviews about TSL are solely based on the fact that the fish did not bite during your stay, is absolutely senseless. During my stay, the captains and mates during my 4 fishing day stay went above and beyond to catch fish for my friends and I, regardless if the bite was great or not. The land based staff is nothing short of superb. Before I even checked into my room the staff already knew my name, and catered to my every need. I cannot express how amazing, beautiful, and extraordinary the lodge and the staff at Tropic Star Lodge is. If you’re thinking about booking, you literally cannot go wrong.
Date of stay: March 2024
Room Tip: Book soon!
Trip type: Travelled with friends
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded 23 Mar 2024
Dear E950DMalexl,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent fishing trip to Tropic Star Lodge. It is wonderful to hear that your crew worked hard and that our staff on land provided the same extraordinary service that we strive to offer all our guests. We completely agree with you that Tropic Star Lodge is an absolute paradise!

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We hope to have you return for your next fishing adventure soon.

96.2 km from Tropic Star Lodge
Restaurant
130.7 km from Tropic Star Lodge
125.7 km from Tropic Star Lodge
View more hotels in Pinas Bay
All reviews tropic star fish tuna panama city black marlin top notch bucket list my wife first class world class cubera snapper through customs jurassic park two days marlin bar take care local village
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 March 2024

Everything about Tropic Star Lodge is amazing from the time you land at the airport. The attention to detail is second to none. The staff was amazing from the boat captains and mates, the restaurant staff, the office staff and everyone we came in contact with.

I highly recommend this trip not only to the experienced fisherman but to anyone who truly wants to disconnect at a top tier resort.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2024

Dear Vacationer543836,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Thank you for noticing our attention to detail and for the compliments on our staff and crews. We hope to see you back soon for your next fishing adventure.

Reviewed 15 March 2024

It's a place you truly do not want to leave! Absolutely the best fishing, dining, accommodations, and sight seeing you will ever find. You can not put a price tag on the amount of moving parts that are put together seamlessly to put this trip together

Room tip: If you ever get a chance to go make it happen! You will not regret your decision!
1  Thank Brian Z

Dear brianzP7025CL,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your 5-star review of your recent fishing trip to Tropic Star Lodge. We're glad that you enjoyed the dining, accommodation, sights, and of course, the fishing. We agree 100% with you that Tropic Star Lodge's unique location is truly an amazing piece of the world. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 10 March 2024

If you like fishing in comfort for both pelagic and a variety of inshore species, with top notch equipment provided by the lodge, followed by sashimi and sushi served to you in the pool while surrounded by thick jungle, all while the staff makes you feel like royalty, give this place a good look.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2024

Dear Fish-surfrelax,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We're so happy that you enjoyed your fishing vacation with us and that our staff made you feel like the royalty that you are. Sashimi by the pool after a great day on the water -count us in! We hope to see you back at Tropic Star Lodge soon for your next fishing adventure.

Reviewed 3 March 2024 via mobile

Well organized. Staff is exceptional and attentive. Food was excellent and bar well stocked. Fishing was hard on our trip. The bite was not hot but captains worked hard every day and kept trip was enjoyable. That’s fishing. I would do it again!!’

Room tip: Tropical sun is brutal. Get the A/c upgrade and cover up.
Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Ausbkj
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2024

Dear Ausbkj,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your recent fishing vacation with us. We're so glad that you had a great stay. We are happy to hear Captains and Mates for always working hard which is expecially important when the bite is a bit tougher. We'll pass along your compliments to the crew and staff. We hope to see you back to Tropic Star again soon!

All the best wishes,

Reviewed 2 March 2024

I agree with the recent reviews of Casal, Todd C and Mi S. We must have been at Tropic Star the same week. We started fishing Sunday Feb 18 2024 and finished Friday Feb 23. It was a terrible bite - hence theirs and my review. We decided to book for the famed Black Marlin season with a premium that cost around $10K per person counting travel. I very much enjoyed the hype with YouTube videos and even reviews on this site before the trip. We were so excited. Our group of 4 was not impressed and the hype was not deserved. As others have indicated there were around 100 total fishing days combined for 16 or 17 boats for a total of 9 black marlin to be leadered for the week. There also was not much of a pelagic bite for tuna or dorado. The bite was absolutely terrible!! I understand Richard (Richie) White's explanations that Tropic Star cannot control the weather or bite. I fish out of Florida and into the Bahamas for yellowfin tuna, dolphin (dorado) and blue marlin. I would have been much better off spending $40K on a few trips on my boat to where I fish rather than going on this Tropic Star adventure.

I am not a novice fisherman. I've owned boats and fished offshore for over 20 years. I also understand weather conditions and slow bites. I always tell people that are going to fish with me that it's "all about the weather and the bite". We work hard to try to avoid days of getting skunked like we had a Tropic Star. But - when you book at least 9 months in advance to get in on the Tropic Star hype - I guess there's no looking back. Maybe something they should look at is at least offering, say, a 50% discount on any future trip when one has paid a black marlin season premium and it's been terrible. At this point I will not go back nor recommend any of my fishing friends to go to Tropic Star. It's a long way to go for a bad bite when you have to commit that far in advance.

On the good side the service at Tropic Star is excellent. From arrival at the airport, lodge staff ... all 5 star. Top notch all the way.

The food however is 3 star at best. We arrived on Saturday Feb 17 to have a lunch of seared tuna over risotto. It was spectacular. High expectations at that point. Things went downhill quickly.
- Over our trip we had 3 buffets at the pool restaurant. Cruise line type buffet food at best. Some barely edible - some not. On the first night they had grilled tuna. It was grilled completely dry and was not edible. I don't understand why someone would do that to fresh caught tuna - especially a supposed 5 star lodge that gets fresh caught tuna all the time
- First breakfast I ordered eggs, link sausages and potatoes. Link sausages were so over cooked and dry that they were inedible. The potatoes were cold on the plate. So second day I tried the same hoping that the previous day was an aberration. No - same result. It's hard to mess up a breakfast of eggs, link sausages and potatoes. Even Waffle House can get it right.
- On a few days at the Marlin Bar they fried up some fish fingers (presumably dorado). Again totally overcooked/overfried. The fish fingers had no moisture whatsoever. Couldn't even choke them down.

In summary - the staff is great. The bite we had while we were there was ugly beyond belief for the premium black marlin season - and that includes pelagics of YFT and dorado. The food needs to be improved to justify their prices and acclaim.

Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank blainn2015
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2024

Dear Blainn2015,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your review as we care deeply about our guests and their fishing trips at Tropic Star Lodge. We are sorry that your experience fell short of what you expected. We can completely understand your disappointment with the slow Black Marlin bite. In all transparency, Black Marlin season is eight weeks long. Within these eight weeks, the length of the bite fluctuates year to year. It is impossible for us to know exactly when the Pelagic species takes up their annual residence on the Zane Grey Reef due to their migratory patterns. Black Marlin are the most difficult Marlin to target. In fact, there are just a few places in the world you can target the species with Tropic Star being one. While we do everything possible to ensure the best possible fishing opportunities for our guests, it is impossible for us to guarantee fishing outcomes.

This season with El Nino was a very tough year for the Black Marlin bite with it ending early. This happens when the water temperatures change as they did, and we have the Snapper species and Grouper inshore for spawning season and we get a fun tuna bite offshore making inshore and chasing tuna loads of fun and that is why we recommend March for this. Unfortunately, this happened mid-February this year and that’s why we saw some 200 lb tuna your week and some of the other guests catching Cubera and other species inshore.

Regarding your dining experience, we thank you for the constructive comments. We’re glad that you did address your issues with the Chef directly while here, so he was able to rectify the overcooked tuna on the buffet by bringing you freshly seared tuna. I know that your cold breakfast potatoes were also addressed. Chef Gabriel and I discussed your comments, and we thank you as we always strive to improve and will certainly be making changes based on your review.
We’re also happy to hear that you enjoyed the staff and service of the Lodge. Again, thank you very much for taking this opportunity to leave your review and the team at Tropic Star Lodge appreciates your comments and we are truly sorry for your one-star experience.

Kind regards,