Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews tropic star fish tuna panama city black marlin top notch bucket list my wife first class world class cubera snapper through customs jurassic park two days marlin bar take care local village
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 January 2024

Finally made the trip that I have been drooling over ever since I opened my first Marlin magazine and it was more than I could have imagined! From the isolated, majestic jungle terrain to the Bahamian themed colors on the Classic 31' Bertram Sportfishers to the world class service of the Tropic Star staff, it is more than a "fishing trip", it's an experience or better described as an adventure! I have nothing but amazing things to say about the entire staff(there are just too many names to mention), but "hats off" to Richard(fishing director) and Ross(property manager), they are two of the hardest working, energetic, and most positive individuals you will ever encounter.

We spent Dec 30th-Jan 6th at the lodge for beginning of Black Marlin season. Tropic Star pairs anglers with Captain, mate, and boat for the week which I think is a wonderful concept. Armando(Capt) and Leo(mate) were first class! We were fortunate enough to release one of the Blacks caught over the week. It wasn't the 700# one released by an angler from Oklahoma, but who's complaining? We caught a good number of sailfish and crazy number of 50#+ dorado. I don't want to mislead, it's still fishing and they unfortunately don't have addresses. By numbers our week was slower than had hoped, but it didn't detract from the overall experience. Piece of advice, go for the AC boats. 6 days in un-airconditioned boat is not for everyone, myself included. Maybe when I was 30, but even then I'd go for the AC.

The accommodations were fantastic. As a couple, we stayed in the standard room (CoCo 01) with 2 double beds which easily convert one massive "Sultan-style" bed by pushing them together. Not surprising, it was hot, equatorial hot! Fortunately, the AC in the unit had no problem keeping up. Housekeeping kept it tidy and refilled the ice bucket daily. A mini-fridge or cooler to keep some cold drinks would be a good addition, but we were able make do with keeping some drinks in the ice bucket to hydrate late at night.

I want to thank Tropic Star staff as a group for making our experience truly a "Bucket list trip". One that we will remember for a lifetime!

Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank kemosabe_oba
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2024

Dear kemosabe_oba,

We are so happy to hear that your bucket list adventure did not disappoint. Congratulations on your Black Marlin, Sailfish, and Dorado! Tropic Star is indeed a unique place in the world and an experience like no other. We’re glad that our fishing crew and staff were able to bring the pages of Marlin Magazine to life. Thank you for visiting us and for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate the feedback very much. We hope to see you back again soon for your next fishing adventure.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 22 December 2023

Amazing trip! A 5 star resort in the jungle. The service and food were impeccable.
The fishing was incredible. 16 100 lb class swords plus 5 large Mahi in one day.
Do not hesitate to make your reservation.

Room tip: Buy the transportation package.
Date of stay: December 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Ted T
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2023

Dear tedt458,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We're happy to know that you had an amazing trip and enjoyed the fishing, service, and food. Congratulations on all those Sails and XL Mahi. What a day! We hope to see you return to the jungle soon.

Mallory

Reviewed 6 December 2023

This is a stupendous lodge in a stupendous location. What really stood out was the fantastic staff and the attention to detail in our trip arrangements, flights, transfers in Panama City and day to day life at the lodge. The accommodations and meals were wonderful. The fishing was terrific with 5 dorado caught, 12 pacific sailfish and a 400 lbs. Black Marlin, a fish so incredible to see that I still see it when I close my eyes. An astounding sight when it leaps out of the water behind the boat. I had a captain and mate that were an outstanding team and they were relentless fishermen. We had no rain to speak of and no biting insects at all. Fabulous pool and bar. 4 amazing days in the jungle with amazing scenery.

Date of stay: December 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank bosque53
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2023

Dear bosque53,

Congratulations on your beautiful Black Marlin! It's one of the most spectacular experiences. We're glad that you noticed our attention to detail and our passionate staff that want to make sure you have the best fishing vacation. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Can't wait to see you return for some more fishing adventures.

All the best,

Reviewed 28 November 2023

My son and I traveled to the Lodge during Thanksgiving week. From the moment of arrival to the time of departure, everything about our stay was absolutely perfect! The accommodations and the property was beautiful. We were nestled up against a lush rainforest with tropical plants all bursting with flowers and fruit. The food was delicious and well-prepared. And the fishing was outstanding. We caught 7 sailfish and too many dorado to count during the week. My son also hooked up with a huge black marlin (who threw the hook). The staff and service was absolutely outstanding. I seriously can’t think of one criticism to make about any part of our stay. For us, this was a trip of a lifetime and the memories we made will stay with us forever. We want to go back!

Room tip: Definitely take advantage of the laundry service.
Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa M
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2023

Dear LisaM,

It was great having you and your son visit us over Thanksgiving week. It was so special for us to be part of your mother-son trip. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Congrats on your fishing and we hope to see you both return for a Marlin rematch.

Reviewed 26 November 2023

Absolutely world class experience, front to back. INCREDIBLE fishing but even more incredible people. Marlin, Sailfish, Mahi, Snapper, ALL were caught. Ross and Richard run a tight ship, but everyone and anyone that’s works for them believes in the mission. Service, drinks, dinner, all world class. Boats, captains, and crew as good as it gets! I was blessed to share this adventure with my wife, and ladies and gentleman are both treated exceptionally well!

Room tip: Go ASAP
Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank michaelzH4097AL
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2023

Dear michaelzH4097AL,

We're very happy to know that your bucket list trip to Tropic Star Lodge was five-star and that Richard and Ross took great care of you. Congratulations on your special catches and especially that Marlin! We are happy to know that you found the fishing incredible as well as our on-land services. We very much enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you and your wife back soon!