Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews tropic star fish tuna panama city black marlin top notch bucket list my wife first class world class cubera snapper through customs jurassic park two days marlin bar take care local village
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 December 2023

This is a stupendous lodge in a stupendous location. What really stood out was the fantastic staff and the attention to detail in our trip arrangements, flights, transfers in Panama City and day to day life at the lodge. The accommodations and meals were wonderful. The fishing was terrific with 5 dorado caught, 12 pacific sailfish and a 400 lbs. Black Marlin, a fish so incredible to see that I still see it when I close my eyes. An astounding sight when it leaps out of the water behind the boat. I had a captain and mate that were an outstanding team and they were relentless fishermen. We had no rain to speak of and no biting insects at all. Fabulous pool and bar. 4 amazing days in the jungle with amazing scenery.

Date of stay: December 2023
1  Thank bosque53
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2023

Dear bosque53,

Congratulations on your beautiful Black Marlin! It's one of the most spectacular experiences. We're glad that you noticed our attention to detail and our passionate staff that want to make sure you have the best fishing vacation. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Can't wait to see you return for some more fishing adventures.

All the best,

Reviewed 28 November 2023

My son and I traveled to the Lodge during Thanksgiving week. From the moment of arrival to the time of departure, everything about our stay was absolutely perfect! The accommodations and the property was beautiful. We were nestled up against a lush rainforest with tropical plants all bursting with flowers and fruit. The food was delicious and well-prepared. And the fishing was outstanding. We caught 7 sailfish and too many dorado to count during the week. My son also hooked up with a huge black marlin (who threw the hook). The staff and service was absolutely outstanding. I seriously can’t think of one criticism to make about any part of our stay. For us, this was a trip of a lifetime and the memories we made will stay with us forever. We want to go back!

Room tip: Definitely take advantage of the laundry service.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa M
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2023

Dear LisaM,

It was great having you and your son visit us over Thanksgiving week. It was so special for us to be part of your mother-son trip. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Congrats on your fishing and we hope to see you both return for a Marlin rematch.

Reviewed 26 November 2023

Absolutely world class experience, front to back. INCREDIBLE fishing but even more incredible people. Marlin, Sailfish, Mahi, Snapper, ALL were caught. Ross and Richard run a tight ship, but everyone and anyone that’s works for them believes in the mission. Service, drinks, dinner, all world class. Boats, captains, and crew as good as it gets! I was blessed to share this adventure with my wife, and ladies and gentleman are both treated exceptionally well!

Room tip: Go ASAP
1  Thank michaelzH4097AL
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2023

Dear michaelzH4097AL,

We're very happy to know that your bucket list trip to Tropic Star Lodge was five-star and that Richard and Ross took great care of you. Congratulations on your special catches and especially that Marlin! We are happy to know that you found the fishing incredible as well as our on-land services. We very much enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you and your wife back soon!

Reviewed 22 November 2023

This is the most epic fishing destination! Richard White and Ross Alford will make your stay and fishing experience the best ever! It was the best fishing of my lifetime! They have a fleet of 31 foot Bertrams and the captains/mates are very knowledgeable. The food and resort is great! In three and a half days of tagging dorado, we tagged 70 from 33 inches to 56 inches or about 60 pounds! We also released three sailfish and kept 4 yellowfin tuna. The resort is very remote and they manage everything in house! If you want epic fishing and great staff, go to Tropic Star Lodge!!

Room tip: Bring your camera for the beautiful photo ops!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Don G
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2023

Dear novicetraveler55,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent fishing trip with Tropic Star Lodge. Congratulations on tagging all those Dorado. Tropic Star Lodge is proud to be part of your research and ocean conservation effort. We're glad you enjoyed the food, staff, as well as the epic fishing. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 14 September 2023

My husband convinced me to go to Tropic Star for our 10th wedding anniversary. I was very hesitant because 1- I am not an "angler" 2- there is not a typical resort beach and 3- I was sure I'd get 1 million bug bites in the jungle.
Everything at Tropic Star exceeded my expectations (and I have stayed at many Four Seasons resorts). The room accommodations were oversized and very clean. We stayed in a Villa with a dining room, 2 bathrooms, outside Jungle shower and huge walk-in closet. The room was FANTASTIC!
The staff was incredibly helpful and truly makes you feel at home. Richie & Ross create a very fun atmosphere where the entire group staying at the Lodge gets to know each other and becomes friends over the week stay.
The food is amazing, you'll forget how you ever fed yourself before Tropic Star. Every meal is the best you've ever had -- and they'll even feed you tuna sashimi on the boat if you catch a Tuna. Incredible!
There is laundry service as often as needed and they'll even wash your shoes - which you may need after hiking to the beach through the jungle or getting fish blood on them!
The fishing days are pretty long - boats left the dock around 6:30am and returned at 4pm. We fished during a slow week, so our boat didn't catch any Sailfish or Marlin, but other boats did. We caught many Tuna and Mahi which were really fun and large fish to catch. Our largest Tuna was about 60lbs and largest Mahi about 80lbs. We were disappointed not to catch any billfish, but we had fun and stayed busy still catching other fish. The captains and mates are all incredibly skilled, knowledgeable and fun to fish with.
The boats are very comfortable and spacious, we upgraded to a Bertram with an AC cabin, which I recommend because it gets very hot in the afternoon and having a little relief was well worth staying comfortable and being able to fish the full day.
If your husband is trying to convince you to go to Tropic Star, I would highly recommend it. Even if you're not an avid angler, you'll have a great time. The fishing days are long, but full of excitement with monster fish (even aside from the billfish). The spa is wonderful, the hike to the secluded beach is a very cool experience. If you're ready to get off the beach and experience a true adventure, then you'll love Tropic Star Lodge! ...oh, and I didn't get any bug bites :)

Room tip: The spa fills us quickly and a massage feels amazing after a long day of fishing, highly recommend grabbing one before dinner one night!
Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2023

Dear J3407SNjennym,

Thank you for celebrating your 10th wedding anniversary with us! We are happy to know that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed the most special part of Tropic Star Lodge -the comradery. We know that guests have high expectations when it comes to catching billfish here, and although it wasn’t in the cards for you, we’re thrilled that you had fun catching Yellowfin Tuna and giant Dorado. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your experience on the water and at the lodge. We hope your husband can “nudge” you to return to Tropic Star Lodge for that billfish!