Review Highlights
ADVENTURE OF A LIFE TIME !

ADVENTURE OF A LIFE TIME ! Fish,fish and more fish. Nice boat , awesome first mate & best captian... read more

Reviewed 5 March 2024
Ne B
Sebastian, Florida
Best Fishing in Panama!

We went of a 5 day fishing trip with Capt Tom of Coiba Adventure Sportfishing. What an epic... read more

Reviewed 9 April 2023
PuraVidaToby
Charleston, South Carolina

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews captain tom fish bahia honda national park hook mate marlin isle meals species boat panama island whales
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 January 2018

My brother and brother in law and I planned this adventure for 1/3 fishing adventure, 1/3 "fly in" adventure, and 1/3 off the grid excursion; we were not disappointed. We were assisted in planning by Jessica, aka, the Captain's daughter, Capt Tom, the 25 plus year veteran of the sportfishing boat, and his capable mate Gilberto and Irie, the "do it all helper" on the mothership, Mama Nido. The trip consisted of a fly in from Panama City on a twin engine Piper, landing on the grass airstrip at Coiba, once a Panamanian prison and also once a WW II training camp for American GI's, and being picked up on the Joker, a clean and well outfitted classic 31 Betram. All of Tom's equipment is clean, in good order and first class. We are experienced anglers and told Tom we were there to try for Black Marlin, meatfish were simply a by-product for the dinner table. We caught and fought to release 2 Black's the first day in a little known area called Jicrita, about 25 miles from where the mothership was moored. The next day we fished the famous Hannibal Bank, each day we caught bonita for live bait and pulled(trolled) large "plugs or plastics" for marlin, these are excellent tried and true tactics the world over. Tom was most accommodative and allowed us to customize the rig placement, and try a few of our own special tricks of the trade, he was there to please. We had plenty of action on the meatfish nonetheless, and caught tuna and dolphin(mahi) while focusing on the Marlin. Our 3rd day produced 2 sailfish raised, but no hook ups, primarily due to the large tackle we were trolling not being conducive to sails. I think targeting sails there would be a good strategy as well. The only feedback I would have is to lengthen the leaders to IGFA standards(18 feet) so as to give the release process a more visual experience, as opposed to the quick "break off" that is bound to happen when a 500 lb marlin is straight up and down off the transom with a 3 foot double line leader. This is a great trip, the Mama Nido is comfortable and the crew does a great job serving fine dinners, preparing a great bar set up for afternoon cocktails, sandwiches and drinks were all in order, precisely as we asked, no one was trying to skimp on good food and wine, Jessica is an awesome organized and cheerful Captains daughter! I can't say enough about how well the logistics came off, the pilot arrived to pick us up on Coiba on Satruday, he even treated us to a "fly over at low altitude" of the Joker making its way back to the mothership, we went over to Coiba for a eco-tour, hiked, Tom snorkeled, and local "policia" gave us lobster tails for fresh grilling. Tom knows them all, and this allows for a true in country experience, this experience is not for someone looking to go catching in a 5 star type environment, come here ready to help out and get hands on.

Date of experience: January 2018
4  Thank Retriever32
Reviewed 31 December 2017

i took my father here for his last fishing trip he would ever have. the boat was broken down our entire trip. the electricity failed every day. we had one major hook up and the fish was lost because the captain did not even tie the knot properly. stay away is my best advice........

4  Thank Joe M
Reviewed 28 July 2017

Very Poor Communication The 31 Bertrum was in POOR CONDITION
When we got to COIBA ISLAND the conditions were very poor and CAPT TOM just dumped us on the island and said we were on our own
we ended up cutting our trip short, me and my son our experienced fisherman and this trip was an abortion I would not recommend this to anyone.
I HAVE SENT INFO TO MOST MAGAZINES AS TO WARN PEOPLE.

Date of experience: June 2017
6  Thank M3507RFfrankb
Tom Y, Owner at Coiba Adventure Sport Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

People sometimes ask “ you must get some real jerks on these fishing trips”

My answer for many years was “never”. I get the nicest sort of people. I generally guide men who have traveled the world for fishing and appreciate what I have to offer here. My guests afford to pay more than $20,000 for a six day trip, successful people with successful friends who also love catching fish, just to release them unharmed.

Isla de Coiba is such a beautiful place to be and even more so when you rarely ever see another boat. There are no other boats because there are no marinas, fuel, ice, employees or even people anywhere near enough to make a trip here anything less than an expedition.

My trips are normally 4- 6 day full service angling adventures. My guests fly private 240 miles to & from the island, I bring a staff of up to six workers to serve my guests and improve the national park cabins.

In a totally remote location, I deliver great food, clean comfortable sleeping accommodation, easy access, personalized service, correct quality tackle, and classic proper sport fishing boat. I bring 26 years of local fishing knowledge in the best fishing grounds left anywhere in the world. The Best.

In the case of Frank here. I offered a low cost opportunity to see the fishing from far away Isla Coiba. I sent an offer to prospective guests who elected to be on our mailing list. Not my normal offer. This one was only $1,500 per person for three days leaving from my home port on a trip I billed as “NO FRILLS” I did this for four week-ends in July only.

This “NO-FRILLS” was targeted to adventurous big game anglers on a low budget, and I had some real nice guests take me up on it. I offered, no plane, no fishing mate, no cook, no improved accommodations, only food, beer, water we can carry on board. Just fishing dawn till dark three days two nights. An awesome opportunity to be brought so far, safely to see these fish at a fraction of my normal cost.

So for a three day trip to Coiba, Frank paid 3,000 for himself and his grown son, ( who landed a Black Marlin and was a pleasure for me to have on board)

Frank is a little guy from New Jersey with a big mouth. I considered not taking him and his fish cooler on board at first sight 5:45 am, if not for his 45 year old son who quickly apologized for him and said he is only getting worse as he gets older. Frank showed up complaining and kept it up nearly the whole time.

A real jerk I wish I never met. I only find this sort on board when I offer a lower price chance to fish with me. Communication was a problem with Frank, it was all one way. Anyone would hate to be on a boat with Frank. Anyone.

Reviewed 3 February 2017

I fished with Coiba Fishing Adventures on 1/20/17 for three days. When we arrived at the fishing area on the first day, we no more than put the tackle out and we had 4 out of five lines hook-up. We had three Bonita within 10 minutes and two more on in another 20.

Having the marlin bait, we headed around the corner of the island to the marlin honey-hole. I had a marlin on within another 20 minutes! This fish was the most colorful marlin I have ever seen and he loved to show his stuff; out of the water constantly! His great jumps were like skipping a rock more times than you thought possible. Tom estimated him to weigh 600 lbs.

We put the bait out a second time. Within another 20 minutes the magic happened again! Fish-on! This one, too, was an athlete! As you can imagine, having just fought a 600 pounder, I was battling what Tom estimated was a 700-lb. brute! He just about kicked my butt! If it had not been for Jerry, the mate, this monster would have beat me! As the marlin came close to the boat, Tom had me set the drag to full to bring this beauty close enough for Jerry to grab the leader to set him free. The marlin and I were about spent! Jerry had to help me keep the rod off the back of the boat – 700 lbs. of pure muscle pulling straight down with the drag at full is more than any one person can hold! In less than an hour I had hooked up with two of the biggest marlin I have ever caught!

To cap off the day, we headed to a sheltered area close to an island to eat and relax. I decided to jump overboard with my snorkel to see what I could see. I no more than dipped my head under the water when I found myself in a school of 100 plus blue crevalle about a foot in diameter. As I swam closer to the rocks, I found myself in so many fish that I thought I was in the Sea World water tank tube. I have no idea what they all were but they were beautiful and varied. I had no fears for what I might encounter. Tom had told me there was nothing in the sea in this area that would hurt me.

Out of the water, I ate the great lunch that earlier I had arranged with Iris at Mana Pizza Yolo to provide. I was fat and happier than I can remember!

In the next two days, I caught 10-15 yellowfin tuna, sierra mackerel and plenty of large and beautiful jack crevalle. On the last day, Tom toured us along the coastline for some great views of the remote beaches and points on the return trip.

We had made arrangements with Mike at Hotel La Buena Vida to rent one of his houses to us which finished off our fantasy trip to Panama!

I have fished for marlin for over 30 years. I’ve caught many striped marlin, but until I started fishing with Tom I had never caught a blue or a black. I have now fished with Tom on three separate trips, each time I have scored on one of these monsters! On one trip we had three fisherman with me and we caught 8….. that is 8 blue and black marlin. Three in the 800-lb. class!

As far as fishermen go, they do not come any better than Tom! As far as mates go, they do not come any better than Jerry! This pair are unbeatable! Cheap – no; worth it – YES!

We will be back!
Maggi

1  Thank maggikjones
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

We went fishing with captain Tom to coiba. We did have a nice day great weather beautiful scenery and even caught some dorado,tuna and mackerel.

On the down side the boat had engine issues. Capt Tom spent several hours trying to clear a blocked fuel filter only to delay our arrival back to 11pm.

There was no experienced help aboard so be prepared to filet your own fish and lend a hand on the boat all for 2,000 $ No food only snacks

Capt Tom was late at the meeting point so we ended up fishing from 1130 am until 430 pm. The rest of the time we slowed belled on one engine back to port for an 11pm arrival losing my non refundable hotel reservation. But capt Tom had no problem getting irate and demanding his full payment because his engine problem was "an act of god". Good luck if you go on this charter. No wonder he insists on full payment up front. No guarantees here

3  Thank Andrew E
MiltonaLee, Owner at Coiba Adventure Sport Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2017

Ridiculous, forget about it. One day out of 120 in a year, I get this guy. He came up $750 short when asked to pay.
I accompanied him to shore at Santa Catalina to insure he paid up. It took another hour. A guest of poor character.
I had the police on stand-by. It was a great day of fishing, the boat runs beautifully.

The height of my day was, the gourmet dinner, desert & martini’s that night at Iguanitas,. Cooked & served by the owner Juan.
Best ever martinis mixed & served by his son Andrea from Barcanlona,
Delightfully reasonable bill at the end served by Juan’s pretty wife.
I’ll bet ten different nationalities were represented in that little restaurant. Very cool

I slept like a rock in what seems like a brand new suite at Las Hammacas, with a super cold and quite air-conditioner.

Breakfast 6:30 am at La Buena Vida - awesome. Perfect coffee. Cute, energetic, smiling English speaking server, excellent American style healthy breakfast.
Owners Mike & Michelle in attendance. It was they who kept Andrew E out of jail by charging the $750 owed to a credit card.

Santa Catallina is a truely unique, quality vacation destination. 5 stars. My unscheduled stay was wonderful.

If there was a TripDespiser where we could rate guests I’d give Andrew E. a 5 little cockroaches.

Capt. Tom